Customer Service 866.965.0400

Adam's APC (All Purpose Cleaner) Review

ihaveacamaro

Question

I was recently asked by Dylan if I would be willing to do a few reviews. He said "If I send you a couple of products would you be willing to do a quick review? Good, bad, or otherwise... I have a couple of things I think you'd enjoy." How can you say no to that?

With that said, this is my honest review of Adam's All Purpose Cleaner.

121.jpg

Observations:

• Translucent Yellow Color (almost looks like it would glow in the dark)
  • Citrus smell
  • Upgraded sprayer has option for foam spray or spray normally (it’s a twist sprayer)
  • 16 oz for $11 or Gallon for $30

Product Claims:

1. Tough On Dirt but Easy On Your Car
  2. Clean Wheels, Tires, Engines and More
  3. Great For Cleaning Up Your Detailing Accessories
  4. Safely Cleans Your Foam Buffing & Polishing Pads

Additional Info Not Listed

1. Can be used safely on black plastic, like those in your engine bay
  2. Can be used to strip car wax/sealant by adding into soap bucket
  3. Can be used to remove wax from trim. Video here:

The Adam’s All Purpose Cleaner has the typical claims an All Purpose Cleaner (term herein referred to as APC) would have, with the exception of being safe on black plastic. Only a few APCs make this claim.

Why you ask? Because APCs are normally strong chemicals and black plastics normally react badly with strong chemicals. So being safe on these types of plastics is a big plus. AS ALWAYS, before you work on any type of sensitive material, do a little test spot in an inconspicuous spot with your cleaner to determine how well they play together.

The price for a gallon may seem high, but the price is actually in line with other “premium” APCs. So the price was neither a con, nor a pro for me. The price for 16 oz is outrageous though, especially in comparison to the gallon.

Normally, when you buy an APC for car detailing online, they are able to be diluted. This property of APCs is the best in terms of price because if you buy a gallon, you can normally make 5 to 10 gallons of ready-to-use solution with that, effectively reducing the price of the APC.

Nowhere on Adam’s official site does it say this for the Adam’s APC, so I asked Dylan what would happen if I dilute it. He said that it can be diluted down to 1 part APC to 10 parts Water. So with this knowledge, I did some testing. Here are my conclusions:

Straight:

Great at cleaning, dirt/grime on wheels, tires, fender wells are easily wiped away, foams up very well under agitation and will foam great on its own when you spray it out the foam sprayer.

1 Part APC : 1 Part Water:

No real noticeable big difference between this and straight. I would recommend this as my go-to dilution.

1 Part APC : 2 Parts Water:

Noticeable dropoff in performance. Foam is starting to become runny, I would use this as a maintenance wheel, tire, and engine cleaner. Notice I said maintenance, because I don’t think it would be able to tackle some of the hardest grime on unmaintained cars at this dilution.

1 Part APC: 4 Parts Water:

Bigger dropoff in performance. I would only recommend this is you only have a few ounces of APC left and you still have a lot of work to do. Foam is runny.

1 Part APC: 9 Parts Water:

The foam was being hardly made, even upon lots of agitation. What little foam was very runny. I doubt there is much cleaning power at this dilution. Maybe at this dilution, you could clean interior seats? I didn’t try that though. Dylan, no offense intended, but I respectfully disagree with you here and would not personally recommend this dilution.

So there you have it, the three dilutions I would stick to are straight, 1:1, and 1:2. At these dilutions, the APC works very well, and the 1:1 dilution would be my most used.

When you think that one of Adam’s biggest advantages over other products is ease of use, the results I got make sense. I’m sure Adam’s could’ve made their APC much stronger, but wanted their customers to be able to use it straight out of the bottle without fear. That is something I can’t do with my other APCs or if I do, I do so very carefully. Everything is compromise: with added ease of use comes less, but still very formidable, cleaning power.

In my opinion, the foaming aspect of the APC is its strongest selling point, as that lets it work very well on most things. I say most things, but not all. For example, this would not be the APC of choice to use on paint. I would rather use another safe APC that is low foaming like OPC or M D103.

All in all, I am pretty happy with this APC. I will not only keep this APC, but just used my own advice and bought a whole gallon extra for a few things that I really enjoyed working on it with: Cleaning engine bays, cleaning wax out of trim, and cleaning tires.

Will this replace my other APCs? No, definitely not. But I do know that if I have higher end cars’ engine bays I’m working on, this will be my go to APC. If I have stubborn tire grease from people putting armor-all or something on their car, this will also be my go to APC.

So no, this will not replace my other APCs, but will still find itself a permanent spot in my arsenal for the specific tasks I think it excels at compared to other APCs.

Bottom Line:

Don’t half a$$ it and get 16 oz, just go ahead and get the gallon. It works very well for most situations, although it is not the most dilutable APC out there. I recommend it.

P.S. The sprayer with the foaming option is a must. That thing is awesome! Big fan of the Adam’s sprayers.

Edited by ihaveacamaro

16 answers to this question

Guest Gone & Forgotten

Gallons FTW!

I only use 2 mixtures.

100% - hard cleaning

50% - errthang else.

Foamer is great but uses 2x the product.

I love this on our pots we use here to make iced tea in. We use stainless steel 3 qt. pots and boil water, then add a Lipton gallon bag then let it steep for awhile. This leaves a dark tinted interior of the pan. Brillo.... Scotch brite pads.... Powerless. Light spritz of APC 50/50 mix.. Scotch bright with mild elbow grease... Like new. Then I run em through a normal wash.

It really is all purpose.

Excellent review Roshan... the 10:1 ratio is really only suitable for extremely light cleaning (i.e.- removing grease/oil from billet aluminum) any concentration stronger than that on raw aluminum has the potential for discoloration. Keep in mind the cleaner is acidic in its 'stock' form... so to make it safe for materials easily damaged or impacted by acids (again, soft aluminums)

For the mostpart I rarely venture beyond 50% dilution... full strength for tires (it melts tire dressing like no other cleaner I've ever used) and 50% for trim and other uses. My pads and accessories get presoaked in a a highly diluted mixture prior to cleaning then cleaned with my 50% mixture when I'm done with the job.

I just used the APC for the first time yesterday and I was impressed! It cleaned my wheels and tires like no other product that I have ever used. I also used it on some tar that was on the rear quarter panel and that came right off. Good stuff!

Gallons FTW!

I only use 2 mixtures.

100% - hard cleaning

50% - errthang else.

Foamer is great but uses 2x the product.

I love this on our pots we use here to make iced tea in. We use stainless steel 3 qt. pots and boil water, then add a Lipton gallon bag then let it steep for awhile. This leaves a dark tinted interior of the pan. Brillo.... Scotch brite pads.... Powerless. Light spritz of APC 50/50 mix.. Scotch bright with mild elbow grease... Like new. Then I run em through a normal wash.

It really is all purpose.

Bob, it seems like those two mixtures are the most commonly used! It really has unlimited uses doesn't it? ;)

Sounds like good honest info. I by the gallon when I order. Love it on engine bay and tires. dilute some and use in the house also. :patriot:

Thanks for looking and commenting Gary. I have used a lot of APCs and it would stack up very well against them in my opinion. If I didn't have that opinion, I wouldn't have bought a whole gallon :lolsmack:

Thanks for looking!

Can't argue with anything you said Roshan, well done!

Thanks Chase! :2thumbs:

Love the review and agree with everything you said. :thumbsup:

I just recently bought the weekly special and am very pleased with the deal I got. Can't wait for it to come in and I ordered an empty bottle labeled APC :rockon:.

I did a test on my real hardwood floor with one of my pieces of extra flooring that I had. I tested three spots on a roughly 3-4 foot long piece. 1 spot was full strength that just sat there for 10-15 min (not rubbed in for that time), 1 was 1:1 dilution and 1 was full strength that I rubbed in right away. I did this everyday for roughly 10 days and no discoloration.

I'm thinking about cleaning a few rough spots caked on my floor from some furniture that was there and I think this APC will do the trick (wood cleaner and dawn did not). Should I assume after my "test" that it's safe enough??

I may go ahead and tackle this tomorrow. May be worth the risk and have one more thing to use my APC for :).

Edited by BKazzle

Excellent review Roshan... the 10:1 ratio is really only suitable for extremely light cleaning (i.e.- removing grease/oil from billet aluminum) any concentration stronger than that on raw aluminum has the potential for discoloration. Keep in mind the cleaner is acidic in its 'stock' form... so to make it safe for materials easily damaged or impacted by acids (again, soft aluminums)

For the mostpart I rarely venture beyond 50% dilution... full strength for tires (it melts tire dressing like no other cleaner I've ever used) and 50% for trim and other uses. My pads and accessories get presoaked in a a highly diluted mixture prior to cleaning then cleaned with my 50% mixture when I'm done with the job.

Thanks for looking Dylan, I will definitely keep the raw aluminum being so easily damaged in mind if I ever come across it. And I agree, 1:1 would be my most used dilution for sure!

I just used the APC for the first time yesterday and I was impressed! It cleaned my wheels and tires like no other product that I have ever used. I also used it on some tar that was on the rear quarter panel and that came right off. Good stuff!

It's good stuff! Thanks for looking :thumbsup:

Love the review and agree with everything you said. :thumbsup:

I just recently bought the weekly special and am very pleased with the deal I got. Can't wait for it to come in and I ordered an empty bottle labeled APC :rockon:.

I did a test on my real hardwood floor with one of my pieces of extra flooring that I had. I tested three spots on a roughly 3-4 foot long piece. 1 spot was full strength that just sat there for 10-15 min (not rubbed in for that time), 1 was 1:1 dilution and 1 was full strength that I rubbed in right away. I did this everyday for roughly 10 days and no discoloration.

I'm thinking about cleaning a few rough spots caked on my floor from some furniture that was there and I think this APC will do the trick (wood cleaner and dawn did not). Should I assume after my "test" that it's safe enough??

I may go ahead and tackle this tomorrow. May be worth the risk and have one more thing to use my APC for :).

I would think so, but that is beyond my experience to say definitively yes or no. Thanks for checking the review out!

Thanks for the review Roshan!

I always like the APC and I use it on almost everything. My wife even made a diluted bottle so she can use it for household chores.

We always clean the house and bathrooms my wife is OCD when it comes to a clean house. I used it on one of my bathrooms just as a test. I couldn't believe how clean the shower door and the tile came out. That is what convinced my wife to use a diluted bottle around the house.

Great review. Thanks for putting the time and effort in on this for everyone.

This is one products I keep 5 gallon stock of at all time. Between cleaning rides and the house it's a must have.

Again, great review!

Great review. Thanks for putting the time and effort in on this for everyone.

This is one products I keep 5 gallon stock of at all time. Between cleaning rides and the house it's a must have.

Again, great review!

Time for a 5 gallon APC daily special?