Customer Service 866.965.0400

New Memeber with engine detail question

BugDoc

As with many, I have already learned a great deal lurking on this forum. I have a 2010 Camaro 2SS I inherited from my older brother who passed away from cancer. Being an older fella in a rural community, he often drove on gravel. I have posted a photo of the engine bay showing all the gravel dust in the engine compartment. I have purchased the Wheel/Undercarriage kit because it contains the materials I need to work on both the wheels and the engine.

My question pertains to the cylinder head wiring seen in the photo under the engine cover. Is it safe to wet/wash with water and the boar's hair brush as shown on the engine bay detail video? The video does not show removing the engine cover, but I have a lot of dust underneath.

All help is greatly appreciated!

Guest Gone & Forgotten

Check out the videos section at adamspolishes.com and I'm sure there's a couple here on the forums about proper engine washing technique.

I cover the intake (if not enclosed) with a grocery bag as well as the battery terminals.

Coat the engine with a 50/50 mix of Adams all purpose cleaner and agitate with a wet brush, like the boars hair blonde. Then rinse the engine... I follow that by using a dryer.. Like a leaf blower I have never used for anything but cars with a make shift foam filter over the intake to prevent dust from getting into the blower... And dry all of the engine and connectors etc. then dress the engine with SVRT and In and Out spray.

I'm in an ipad or I'd link you to all of that.

Don't forget about the underside of the hood... Do that first... Then the engine then rinse all from top down. Dry, dress and post photos!!!!

Edit... Dug it up

See the sections in the forum that are focused on each part of the car... This is under the wheels tires undercarriage and engine.

http://www.adamsforums.com/forums/wheels-trim-undercarriage-engine-bay-detailing/8778.htm

:burnout:

Edited by KicktoTheJunk

Guest Gone & Forgotten

I've never personally had issues with the wiring... But I don't start my car and idle it like the video says to. I blow dry mine with an electric $25 Walmart weed eater brand leaf blower.. And I hit all angles and focus on the connectors and pits where water would bowl up and puddle. I then let the engine dry in the sun for a while with the hood up. Usually about an hour.

Never had an issue... Done about 25-30 engines myself like this. Even a 2011 camaro I had...

Sorry for your loss btw... Miss my brother too. He didn't leave me a camaro tho.

Just questions.

Thanks again. Your past experience is valuable. I am not really anticipating any issues. Just wanted to double check. Anxiously waiting for the snow to melt and spring to return.

Nothing to add as far as advice but wanted to welcome you to the forum and offer my sympathies in the loss of your brother. :grouphug:

Very nice car.

:welcomebanner::welcomebanner::welcomebanner:

Go with a wide fan with almost no pressure of water and make sure the engine is cool. I made the mistake of way to much pressure and destroyed my knock sensors under the intake on my 2004 silverado. Other than that cars are pretty much water tight for the most part.

Welcome and my condolences to you and your family regarding your brother.

I always leave my car idling when I clean the engine bay area. Just a habit I had for years now.