Customer Service 866.965.0400

porter cable over the flex

FarbeyondDriven

Question

Hey guys. I was wondering why some pople would use the porter cable over the flex. I've seen some threads where people have both the porter cable and the flex and they choose to use the porter cable instead.

Some pople would say something like "I did a pass with the porter cable then decided to break out the flex."

Something like that.

My question is why would you use the porter cable if you have the flex? Is'nt the flex a better machine. More power, better results, faster polishing??? So in what instance would the porter cable be beneficial over the flex? Or is it just you felt like using the PC over the flex.

12 answers to this question

Hey guys. I was wondering why some pople would use the porter cable over the flex. I've seen some threads where people have both the porter cable and the flex and they choose to use the porter cable instead.

Some pople would say something like "I did a pass with the porter cable then decided to break out the flex."

Something like that.

My question is why would you use the porter cable if you have the flex? Is'nt the flex a better machine. More power, better results, faster polishing??? So in what instance would the porter cable be beneficial over the flex? Or is it just you felt like using the PC over the flex.

The pc can be used in tighter spots.

It is always recommended to use the least aggressive method first. If you have a PC and a Flex with the same Adam's pads and Adam's polish, the Flex is going to remove a litttlle bit more of the clearcoat due to it's forced rotation. This is what allows it to work faster.

And as Wayne said, the PC can be used in tighter spots, as it can use the 4" Focus pads.

I really haven't seen too many people doing what you are describing. Most detailers who have both use flex for correction and PC for 4" pads and/or waxing and glazing. Sometimes the defects are so minimal that only a finishing polish is required in which case some may just go with the PC for convenience of using one machine for the entire detail.

what product can you use with the white foam pad that comes with the PC.

I would be careful using that pad. You don't know the make of it (i.e. foam density). It MAY be similar to the Adam's White polishing pad when used with FMP, or it may be more of an aggressive cut and damage more than should.

You may want to give Adam's a call and see if they know. Mine is still in the box the PC came in.

I would be careful using that pad. You don't know the make of it (i.e. foam density). It MAY be similar to the Adam's White polishing pad when used with FMP, or it may be more of an aggressive cut and damage more than should.

You may want to give Adam's a call and see if they know. Mine is still in the box the PC came in.

Its also a fairly junky glue back pad.

To the OP -

It all depends on your wants/needs/budget.

The PC is a perfectly useful machine for light correction work, I still grab it for certain jobs where the power of the flex isn't needed. If you plan to do more than a couple details the Flex starts to be the preferred option for the speed at which it works and the comfort of using it for extended periods of time.

Its like asking if you'd prefer an SS camaro or a ZL1... both are plenty quick, they both are faster than something like a honda civic, but one is faster and comes with more features than the other... though those things come at a price.

Thanks Dylan. You have a way of making things so simple so that even i can understand it. anologies are always spot on. Thanks.

Its also a fairly junky glue back pad.

To the OP -

It all depends on your wants/needs/budget.

The PC is a perfectly useful machine for light correction work, I still grab it for certain jobs where the power of the flex isn't needed. If you plan to do more than a couple details the Flex starts to be the preferred option for the speed at which it works and the comfort of using it for extended periods of time.

Its like asking if you'd prefer an SS camaro or a ZL1... both are plenty quick, they both are faster than something like a honda civic, but one is faster and comes with more features than the other... though those things come at a price.