Customer Service 866.965.0400

Who has a detailing "side business"

K5/TBSS

Question

So I've been tossing this idea around in my head for a while now and am just wondering what the professionals here think... I have a full time job that I'm pretty committed to from 7-4; but otherwise my evenings are mostly free. (Single w/ no kids at the age of 26) I'm considering getting the word out that I'm detailing vehicles on the side. I used to do this when I was in high school and college, and usually spent my week home during spring break detailing cars; but that was 5 years ago. Then, I would just do a simple wash/wax/interior cleaning. Usually not clay barring and never polishing.

I think I have a fairly good name in town (only about 10k people), I'm fairly involved in the community; and they all know I'm a car day that usually has a ridiculously clean ride.

So I'm just wondering what advice any of you have to offer? I'm mostly curious how many people in a town this size would actually pay decent money for a paint correction. When most see the extent I go to to have a clean car, some simply shake their heads.

Thanks in advance for any advice you can offer!

I do the same thing. I have a family though so I have to balance my weekends between side jobs and family time. Most people, I've found, are not looking for the full polishing job, rather, a $150-200, get it really clean job. I use that money for mods, and to keep my detailing supplies up. Wife hates it, but I broke my back a few years ago, and it is the only physical activity I can still do well, that I happen to love, so she tries to be understanding. I had some business cards made up, which have worked pretty well, but I have found that word of mouth and referals are huge for business. Nothing advertises better than a happy customer.

I do the same thing. I have a family though so I have to balance my weekends between side jobs and family time. Most people, I've found, are not looking for the full polishing job, rather, a $150-200, get it really clean job. I use that money for mods, and to keep my detailing supplies up. Wife hates it, but I broke my back a few years ago, and it is the only physical activity I can still do well, that I happen to love, so she tries to be understanding. I had some business cards made up, which have worked pretty well, but I have found that word of mouth and referals are huge for business. Nothing advertises better than a happy customer.

I am with you on the 150-200 range. Mosty in the 150 range here. :2thumbs:

I do the same thing. I have a family though so I have to balance my weekends between side jobs and family time. Most people, I've found, are not looking for the full polishing job, rather, a $150-200, get it really clean job. I use that money for mods, and to keep my detailing supplies up. Wife hates it, but I broke my back a few years ago, and it is the only physical activity I can still do well, that I happen to love, so she tries to be understanding. I had some business cards made up, which have worked pretty well, but I have found that word of mouth and referals are huge for business. Nothing advertises better than a happy

I agree. Slick marketing and quick sales tricks may work short term but making the customer happy by doing the work that was quoted, working hard and going the extra mile is still the best way to grow your business I believe. Look at Adams where one mans dedication to succeed in an ethitical way has grown to a very nice business and people come back.

Yes Mike use to do it in Orlando. Got my cart and all from him. The retirement community I live in or by there are alot of car clubs. Really nice Vettes, and Camaros and so on. Trying to get with them cats to set up a detail clinic of some sort. see what happens

Sounds like a good plan. Kind of bummed Mike isnt a distributor anymore or for the time being.

Anyways, i too have some camaro and corvette brother and sisters that want some adams lovin', they just arent in the detailing spirit......yet :jester:

Sounds like a good plan. Kind of bummed Mike isnt a distributor anymore or for the time being.

Anyways' date=' i too have some camaro and corvette brother and sisters that want some adams lovin', they just arent in the detailing spirit......yet :jester:[/quote']

Hook one of them up and get the rest while their tongues are on the ground drooling over it....:lol::lol:

So I've been tossing this idea around in my head for a while now and am just wondering what the professionals here think... I have a full time job that I'm pretty committed to from 7-4; but otherwise my evenings are mostly free. (Single w/ no kids at the age of 26) I'm considering getting the word out that I'm detailing vehicles on the side. I used to do this when I was in high school and college, and usually spent my week home during spring break detailing cars; but that was 5 years ago. Then, I would just do a simple wash/wax/interior cleaning. Usually not clay barring and never polishing.

I think I have a fairly good name in town (only about 10k people), I'm fairly involved in the community; and they all know I'm a car day that usually has a ridiculously clean ride.

So I'm just wondering what advice any of you have to offer? I'm mostly curious how many people in a town this size would actually pay decent money for a paint correction. When most see the extent I go to to have a clean car, some simply shake their heads.

Thanks in advance for any advice you can offer!

I think you would be very surprised at what people will pay for, if they know the job they are getting they arent afraid to dish out the cash. I've been detailing for a few years now and i can say by far the BEST thing that ever happened to my busines is starting to post after detail shots on Facebook and Instagram. I first said i would stay away from full paint corrections, but have found myself doing 1 every week or two. Paint corrections seem to bring so much extra business it's ridiculous. I also work full time M-TR 6:30-5, and run my detailing on the side. If your curious about pricing from someone that doesnt run a full blown shop 24/7 let me know if i can help! :thumbsup:

Hey, Matt I'm pretty much in the same boat you're in. Just trying to get a small customer base at first and slowly build from there. Wanna do this for extra income after I retire (or at least cut back my hours) in about 5 years. Get some business cards made up (try Vistaprint) and drop a few off at businesses in your town. Word of mouth is the best way to get your name spread around. Offer a "finder's fee" to anyone who recommends your services.

I do on the side as well. Mostly weekends, take care of most cars in my neighborhood. After seeing the results of paint correction and general weekly washing they were hooked. Charge around $150-200 for paint correction and $20 for bi-weekly wash/upkeep. Not trying to make a living, just extra side money like some have mentioned towards retirement.

It's a no brainer! Stay focused on your full time job during the week and maintain a schedule filled of detailing for the weekends! Nothing like some extra cash every week from a side business that's "self therapy" to most and enjoyable unlike others. Keep in mind, your overhead costs aren't too bad either! Go for it!!!

Kudo's to those of you that have the time to detail on the side. I have a job that eats all my time during the week. Not complaining. Actually greatful to have the gig that I've got. IMHO, too much is better than not enough. Especially in this economy. The weekends are catch up with personal things, such as yard work or honey do's. And the cycle just repeats, and is picking up speed the older I get.

I do mine on the side on nights and weekends from March/April thru November/December then enjoy the winter break here in CT. I will admit it was perfect for me at first however over the last year my client base more than doubled in size and the amount of work that I now have and will have is overwhelming.

I make sure I explain to everyone that this is just done on the side and most standby and wait for me to get to them. That is a great feeling to know they want your service and are willing to wait. While there are some that don't want to wait and go find someone else. Does that hurt me? No I don't mind. Does it possibly give my company/name a bad rep? Yes, most likely and this eats at me since I only want the best for my reputation.

Remember that even though this is a side job I still do everything correctly. I have insurance to cover me against anything that could come back at me as a business along with an LLC. I have business cards, Facebook page, a website, and even had a few shirts made for when I am at my clients sites. Next is some graphics on my truck.

I guess what I am getting at is, this started out as a fun side job, then slowly snow balled into something a little more. You have to decide how far you are willing to go. Either doing friends, family and neighbors vehicles by just word of mouth on the streets. Or actually promoting yourself to get more possible customers.

No matter which way you do it....Please Please make sure you have insurance. I don't care how cool you are with your friends coworker, because he might not find you cool when you burn thru his paint or scratch up his ride so on and so on.

Good luck to all those hustlers detailing out there. It's all about getting your shine on.

. I will admit it was perfect for me at first however over the last year my client base more than doubled in size and the amount of work that I now have and will have is overwhelming.

This has happened to me over the last few years. So much so that I get burnt out after a while. Working all week then putting 20+ hours in on the weekend gets old quick for only a couple hundred bucks. I'm now to the point I'll only take 2 a month, and people will wait until I'm free. Previous clients get first crack at bookings. Once I get to a point where I say "I don't want to do this anymore" I take a break. During that break try and remember that I used to love to do this. After a few weeks off I'm good to go again.

Sadly right now my yard and my own vehicles are taking a hit. So I'll need to take a break after the car I'm currently working on.

I do details on the side and once pollen season ends will start up again. I started a company on the side as an LLC just in case someone decides to try and sue me, gotta pertect the family.

I typically do a full detail which consist of wash, interior, and full paint correction. Being in a Camaro club I do a ton of Camaro's and have tought many people how to detail their own cars.

Check out my site for what I do and then try doing a few cars to perfect your skills and you can cut your time for full detail I can do an average car in about 9 hours, however if the customer wants a show quality pefect paint correction its closer to 18 hours.

Welcome to Busted Knuckle Detailing (try the site tomm as I was having issues with the website from a renewel issue that was just fixed and should work in the morning).

The site shows some cars I did as well as some pricing. I recently added interior only which I need to add to my pricing as I have a few customers that like the interior monthly and do the more expensive details once or twice a year.

Good luck.

Mike

Edited by mcotton

I am the same boat. I work full time 8-4:30 luckly from home. But then do details on the side mostly weekends or nights during the summer. I started doing this last year and did prob around 20 cars during the summer/fall. I am going to look into insurance this spring. But I love it. I have always loved washing my cars/show cars. So this is like theropy like everyone else says. I am also 33 and just had twins so not sure if I will get as many cars done this year. But already have a waiting list for when the weather starts to get better.

I am the same boat. I work full time 8-4:30 luckly from home. But then do details on the side mostly weekends or nights during the summer. I started doing this last year and did prob around 20 cars during the summer/fall. I am going to look into insurance this spring. But I love it. I have always loved washing my cars/show cars. So this is like theropy like everyone else says. I am also 33 and just had twins so not sure if I will get as many cars done this year. But already have a waiting list for when the weather starts to get better.

With you on all that. Still love that Black Out Tahoe. SWEET :2thumbs: