Customer Service 866.965.0400

???'s for Weber grill owners / grill connoisseur's

paoutdoorsman

Ok, Mook's "Grillin Season: Your snapshot" thread has me thinking it's time to finally quit buying 2-3 year disposable grills and drop the coin on a high quality grill.

I'm looking at the Weber Genesis E-310 and S-310. Either should be major step in the right direction. I have a couple of questions.

The E-310 is equipped with porcelain-enameled cast iron grates, and the S-310 is equipped with 7mm stainless rod grates. I assume the advantage of stainless grates is longevity. But which is better for cooking? I love the cast iron grate on my Weber Baby Q grill I keep in the camper.

Second question is for those who've used a sear station. Is it an advantage? What do you use it for?

I have a few year old 330 3 burner with the side burner. I went with the stainless grates and I like them way more than my previous Weber that had the porcelin. I like cooking on them better and the cleanup is way easier. I don't use the side burner that much I mostly use it for side dishes. Like if I'm making steaks I'll saute the mushrooms on the side or potatoes. Its nice when you want to be outside for all your cooking. I also like the fact it has 4 casters. Makes it easy to move around the deck if needed.

I was in the process of getting the Weber S-310 or S-330 SS grill. Then went to brother-in-law's for a party. He just got a X-large Green Egg. I have always wanted the Weber, but after cooking on the Egg, I had to order one. That is the way to cook. The 330 was 950.00 and I got the Egg for 999.00. Nothing like some steak coming off the Egg. :banana::banana:

I bought the S-330 last fall and really like it. It is hands-down the best performing grill I've ever owned. I can't attest to the longer lasting stainless grates obviously because I haven't had the grill very long but I do enjoy cooking on them.

The sear station was the main reason I went with this model. I mostly cook steaks and I like getting that quick sear on both sides and then slow down the cooking to get the right doneness. Heat the grill up using the normal burners. Then soon before you put the meat on, turn the sear station on. A couple minutes each side of the meat over the sear station and you can turn the sear off. Continue cooking with the regular burners. It works very well for me. If that's your style of grilling, you probably will not regret going with the sear station.

I am more satisfied with this grill than I thought I would be. It heats up fast and really holds it in. And the heat distribution is very even. I had one spot in my old grill that I could consistently cook on but not the case with this Weber. I can use any spot and get the results I expect.

And these Webers (at least most of the components) are Made in America!

i own an S-330. love it! the stainless exterior is a little more upkeep than paint, but is worth it (kind of like owning a black car). only reason i went propane vs. charcoal for my first grill is ease of use. i'm testing my skills with charcoal with my weber smokey mountain smoker, and when i'm ready i want to get a kamado grill like the Big Green Egg or Primo XL.

i only use the sear station on steaks. so out of the 5-6 times every two weeks i'm grilling, i use the sear part once, so about 20% of the time.

you definitely want the stainless grates. Weber also makes an EP-310 and EP-330 in black, brick red, or steel gray with the stainless grates. its not on their website but you can find them online or at Ace Hardware or Lowes. you basically save $20 by ordering the EP model vs the E model and stainless grates separately. i'm pretty sure that's the only difference.

Edited by 2010TexasEdition

i own an S-330. love it! the stainless exterior is a little more upkeep than paint, but is worth it (kind of like owning a black car).

If you don't want to use your Adam's on your grill (I prefer to reserve it for my cars) try cleaning the exterior of the Weber with Weiman Stainless Steel Wipes. Saw them on Amazon with good reviews but I was a little skeptical until I used them. Easy and effective! I've seen them at Wal-Mart also.

If you don't want to use your Adam's on your grill (I prefer to reserve it for my cars) try cleaning the exterior of the Weber with Weiman Stainless Steel Wipes. Saw them on Amazon with good reviews but I was a little skeptical until I used them. Easy and effective! I've seen them at Wal-Mart also.

i clean it with APC and a damp microfiber towel, then use the Weiman stainless steel cleaner & polish spray with a microfiber towel. works really well and only takes a few minutes :cheers:

storing it with the cover on 24/7 keeps it looking like new longer, and makes clean up easier. i really need to take the internals out and clean them though; haven't done that in the 6 months i've owned it, i've only cleaned & oiled the grates before/after each use :help:

Ryan, for what types of cooking do you use the sear station? To me, it looks like it is just an additional burner between the two primary burners to generate extra heat. Is it primarily just to cook faster? I've never seared anything that I'm aware of.

Ryan, for what types of cooking do you use the sear station? To me, it looks like it is just an additional burner between the two primary burners to generate extra heat. Is it primarily just to cook faster? I've never seared anything that I'm aware of.

anything you want a nice caramelized crust on, like steaks. some people like them that way, some people don't. like Dan said, sear each side for a couple minutes over the sear burner, then move the meat from directly underneath it or just turn the sear burner off. my favorite is a NY strip, 4 minutes seared (2 min. each side), 6 minutes over direct high heat (3 min. each side), and sprinkled with bleu cheese the last minute of cooking :drool:

you can also sear pork chops or veal chops. not recommended on chicken or fish though.

Love to sear me some steaks. Get the egg to about 600, 2 minutes on each side then flip back over for about 3-4 minutes. Med Well and juicy... Love me some steak on a grill.

Never used the sear part on the ole weber we had. Works good on the egg. Should of tried it before now. Making me hungry with all this... lunch time :cheers:

PM sent and you know where I stand.

I'm amazed at the difference of having a quality grill.

couldn't agree more! last time i was at my parents, i tried using my dad's 3 year old $400 home improvement store bought gas grill, which he never kept covered. the steel that covers the burners to prevent flame ups was completely rusted out, one side over cooked everything and the other side under cooked everything. no fun, and grilling is supposed to be fun!

Love to sear me some steaks. Get the egg to about 600, 2 minutes on each side then flip back over for about 3-4 minutes. Med Well and juicy... Love me some steak on a grill.

Never used the sear part on the ole weber we had. Works good on the egg. Should of tried it before now. Making me hungry with all this... lunch time :cheers:

I get the same heat and higher with my Weber Kettle and good quality lump charcoal. :2thumbs: Yea, I'm a tried and true Kettle head. AND I Love my WSM. Easily fits 100lbs of pork shoulder (yea I do some large cooks) and after 18 hours of nice low and slow cooking, I still have fuel left. :rockon: For pork, I use a sugar maple lump charcoal with chunks of apple and/or peach for the smoke.

And for searing meat, may I suggest in investing in some cast iron grate inserts? They do an awesome job.

Dang It!! Now I'm in the mood for ribs! Where's my bourbon!!??:cheers:

I get the same heat and higher with my Weber Kettle and good quality lump charcoal. :2thumbs: Yea, I'm a tried and true Kettle head. AND I Love my WSM. Easily fits 100lbs of pork shoulder (yea I do some large cooks) and after 18 hours of nice low and slow cooking, I still have fuel left. :rockon: For pork, I use a sugar maple lump charcoal with chunks of apple and/or peach for the smoke.

And for searing meat, may I suggest in investing in some cast iron grate inserts? They do an awesome job.

Dang It!! Now I'm in the mood for ribs! Where's my bourbon!!??:cheers:

:2thumbs: No doubt some killer food but on a normal day-to-day routine I like to heat it up, cook it, and be done. You're right though, there is no substitute for low and slow briquettes to turn out some awesome barbeque.

I have a 14 year old Weber 900. It is a smaller grill and I use it 5 to 6 days a week all year long. (and I live in a cold climate) It has raw cast iron greats and I love them. Once they are seasoned nothing sticks to them and if it ever needs any type of cleaning I just crank it up for about 15 to 20 min. and it gets up above 600 degrees and cleans itself. It has a baked on porcelain red cover that has stood the test of time. I love my Weber.

Gents, thanks for all your input here. I've learned a lot and it will help me make a decision when I do pull the trigger. The Green Egg is definately neat, and has it's place - but for me it's not the right tool for our normal weekly grilling, and it would result in less grilled meals rather than more as I expect with the quality and ease of the Weber. :2thumbs:

Gents, thanks for all your input here. I've learned a lot and it will help me make a decision when I do pull the trigger. The Green Egg is definately neat, and has it's place - but for me it's not the right tool for our normal weekly grilling, and it would result in less grilled meals rather than more as I expect with the quality and ease of the Weber. :2thumbs:

Yep!! Which is the reason I bought what I bought. I KNOW there are better ways of cooking food, but that usually entails more work and time and when I get home from work or the gym, the last thing I want to do is spend an hour waiting for a grill to heat up and cook my food. :o

Weber is a great grill no argument there. :2thumbs:

One of the cats here at work said the same thing. Do not want a egg takes to long to heat. I orignally thought that also. I was wrong. Fired it up lastnight and did 6 chicken breast and 4 steaks, Filet's that is and was eating within the hour. I do not use it everyday, but when I do, we eat right. :2thumbs:

Co-Worker sitting beside me said to put on here Weber Rules!!

Oh Snap he just got kocked out....:jester::jester::jester:

Now do not get me wrong, Love grilling regaurdless of what it is cooked on :bow:

I'am with Gary. IMHO, the BGE is the way to go. Love that thing.

Big Green Egg - The Ultimate Cooking Experience

I"m a BGE fanatic as well! Was a DIE HARD Weber Kettle man for years....charcoal all the way! When Weber came out with a gas grill I started rethinking things and eventually got one because it was "easier." Been through two of them and determined they could NEVER maintain a constant temperature. A year ago I got a BGE and will NEVER go back! And it doesn't take an hour to get one ready to cook if you start it properly and use the right thing (lump charcoal and not briquettes). 30 minutes tops!

I have a e-310, it's the shiz but I wish I would have bought the 330 for the sear and the side burner. We grill 3-4 times a week and have never had an issue with it. It's covered 24/7 and cleaned monthly. The best part is you can buy more cabinets. :)

I have a e-310, it's the shiz but I wish I would have bought the 330 for the sear and the side burner. We grill 3-4 times a week and have never had an issue with it. It's covered 24/7 and cleaned monthly. The best part is you can buy more cabinets. :)

Looks like $100 to jump from the 310 to the 330. We have had side burners on our last two 'disposables' and we just never use it. So would you pay $100 for the sear functionality?

I"m a BGE fanatic as well! Was a DIE HARD Weber Kettle man for years....charcoal all the way! When Weber came out with a gas grill I started rethinking things and eventually got one because it was "easier." Been through two of them and determined they could NEVER maintain a constant temperature. A year ago I got a BGE and will NEVER go back! And it doesn't take an hour to get one ready to cook if you start it properly and use the right thing (lump charcoal and not briquettes). 30 minutes tops!

Seconded! I bought a large BGE last May and I'll never go back. Actually been thinking of adding a second one. Everything comes off it so amazing. I've been using it for everything from long slow cooks like ribs or even beef stew in a dutch oven to quick cooks like a chicken breast, burgers, or a steak. It also makes awesome pizza with the pizza stone.

Also, if you haven't done it yet, make baked potatoes on it. It makes the best I've had. They're amazing. All I do is take a large russet (about 1 pounders) coat with olive olive and kosher salt. Then cook bare on the grate to an internal temp of about 205-210 with the Egg at about 400 degrees. Takes a little over an hour usually. Goes great with what ever else I make on it. These are really the reason why I'm thinking of a 2nd BGE. Want to be able to have a hot one while doing a low and slow cook.

BTW, if you don't have one yet get a Looftlighter. They're great at getting the Egg lit and running quickly.

Seconded! I bought a large BGE last May and I'll never go back. Actually been thinking of adding a second one. Everything comes off it so amazing.

BTW, if you don't have one yet get a Looftlighter. They're great at getting the Egg lit and running quickly.

Looftlighter is the way to go. That thing is awesome. With one of those hour startup times are gone. Looftlighter and BGE is the winning combination.

I also have a Weber gas grill. Natural Gas, hooked right into the house. Never have to worry about propane again. Use it occasionally, but more often than not opt for the BGE.

Looft Industries AB | Looftlighter, lighter, barbeque lighter, firelighter, original Looflighter

Y'all need to try Veggie Bombs that DemoN turned me onto. I don't use my side burner any more. I simply put the veggies in foil with a lump of butter and seasoning directly onto the grill, and like Harry Potter magic, they become perfect. One day I will build me a pit!