Customer Service 866.965.0400

Your top 5 time-savers??! (Product or tools)

Chase@InsanePaint

Question

Insane Paint Auto Detailing is off to a running start. Things are good. Website, Facebook, Instagram, Business Cards, Networking, all of those things are moving along nicely. But what I'm trying to figure out now, from you pros (and I'd like it if some of you "elitist" shops would chime in), is what are some things in the past few years, that have saved you TIME? What tools or products have sped up your wash/dry process? Your polishing process? I'm trying to figure out how I can charge the same, but get done faster. And let me clarify, I'm a hard worker, I don't sit around and text or any other BS, so consider that a given. But I'm also a one-man show. Please give me your top 5 time-savers that you've experienced!! thumb.gif

9 answers to this question

Not sure I have 5 that you don't already know... but a couple of my keys when I was still detailing for dollars:

I kept a log book/spread sheet of every car I ever detailed. It outlined year, make, model, color, condition, ambient temps, products used, time to complete etc. This way I had a running log of what I had done and what ended up working for that particular car. As your variety of cars changes, your approach will have to change as well. Having a reference you can look back at and 'study' to prep for your next detail is handy.

Pre set tools for different setups. I had multiple tools set and ready to go at the start of a job for things I knew I'd need. My rotary, or flex, or whatever was going to be the workhorse for the day was setup one way... my PC or whatever else was setup for 4" pads as an example and already plugged in, already on a separate extension cord, so there was no swapping things out. Just grab and go.

1) AIO product for those light correction and protection jobs. I can recommend a few off the record if you don't have one already.

2) Clay alternative in the towel form, saves tons of time

3) Iron treatment on paint prior to clay, again saves time claying

4) Waxing and sealing with a DA instead of by hand

5) Rinseless washes on cars that come in fairly clean

Unfortunately most of this isn't offered by Adams but we all know that they aren't necessarily targeting the professional detailer...

Hope this helps.

Edited by camaro2ssblack

Chase I work in a hospital and in the OR they have carts set up prior to surgery of everything that is needed for let's just say a removal on an appendix or an open heart or a valve replacement. You can do the same. Have a cart just for wheels, one just for polishing,one just for washing so you can just put everything back and move it out of the way. Prior to the next day just stock it up. Get a separate washer and dryer for just your work towels in the garage.

1) AIO product for those light correction and protection jobs. I can recommend a few off the record if you don't have one already.

Unfortunately most of this isn't offered by Adams but we all know that they aren't necessarily targeting the professional detailer...

Hope this helps.

^I agree but will add the Master Blaster to help remove trapped water, air blow gun to blow out trash under seats and all other interior nook and crannies and smaller pads for whatever da I use. Also the hardest one for me to learn was sometimes working smaller and slower is actually faster!

Almost forgot, I detail on the side and for me the part that takes the most time is actually even before and after I work on the car. I've really streamlined what I offer and don't deviate from my package plans, I used to offer add ons that I offered but I found it was more work than just packages. I found that explaining every add on took a lot of time and I felt like I was pushing a $30 add on and it turned people off. Also cleaning the work area,towels,pads and re stocking all my stuff takes a lot of time that nobody else sees. In my area most people like to be told what is either the best bang for the buck or simply what is right for them ie why do a 3 stage correction on a minivan that's never gonna be washed when I can do a clay and Quick sealant 3 times a year and in the end is best for everyone. I'm not a very good salesman so I just learned to listen and be honest to what the customer needs, I did a semi-permanent coating for someone and boosted how it will help resist minor wash marring and a few weeks later they called with a problem. I learned that they clipped a fire hydrant, gouged the fender and they actually wanted a refund cause the semi permanent coating didn't work cause the car got scratched. Wow sorry that was long winded.

Lol. ^^ What an idiot (them, not you)......I would have slapped that customer!! LOL. Please tell me you did??! ;):xfingers::help:

Thanks everyone for the advice!!! Good stuff.

Hope this helps.

I've thought about an AIO product, but just haven't seen the need for it YET. I have an iron treatment product, almost gone, but now have Adam's DWC, so I'm good there. I do #4. And #5 I simply refer to Waterless Wash. But I will neeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeever do #2. I've seen first hand what those damn nanoskin towels do to DAMAGE the paint. I'll pass, lol. They mar the HELL out of the paint. No thank you!! :cheers:

Lol. ^^ What an idiot (them, not you)......I would have slapped that customer!! LOL. Please tell me you did??! ;):xfingers::help:

I've thought about an AIO product, but just haven't seen the need for it YET. I have an iron treatment product, almost gone, but now have Adam's DWC, so I'm good there. I do #4. And #5 I simply refer to Waterless Wash. But I will neeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeever do #2. I've seen first hand what those damn nanoskin towels do to DAMAGE the paint. I'll pass, lol. They mar the HELL out of the paint. No thank you!! :cheers:

Lots of detailers using the fine grade everyday with no marring but to each is own :2thumbs:

I use the towel on tons of cars. On ultra soft paint systems, you might get a little marring, although I got the same amount of marring from using clay... When I saw I was getting marring with the towel, I tested normal fine clay immediately to see if it would react differently. Both marred the same as far as I could tell :thumbsup:

On anything from soft to hard paint systems, I've used the fine grade with no issues at all. :cheers:

I would totally recommend it, but I think to become a believer, you have to test it on your own... with an open mind ;)