Customer Service 866.965.0400

DWC and wheel barrel brake dust?

Randy92Z

Question

I've got some pretty good brake dust stains in my front wheel barrels on my Trailblazer SS. I've tried scrubbing it with GWC multiple times to no avail. Then Adams came out with DWC and I thought, THANK YOU! this should be the perfect solution for my dirty wheel barrels.

BUT, after getting it and using it the last couple of weeks, it hasen't even put a dent in the "stains" I took a pic today after a another scrubbing to show you guys what I'm talking about. The TBSS has large openings in between the spokes, so I can get the fenderwell brush in there to scrub on it, but it just won't come clean? And yes, before you ask I did spray it on the wheels dry and let it dwell for at least 5 minutes.

Short of taking the wheel off and using a wire brush and brake cleaner, not sure what else to try?

13 answers to this question

That almost looks like a tar substances. I would try just a little sovent or WD40 on a rag and see if you can get it in there just to see if it starts to come off. Or just spry the WD40 on it. If it is Tar based WD40 will break it down and I don't think it would hurt the rim. Just make sure you clean it all off with APC before driving your car so any leftover WD40 will not get on your break pads or rotor.

I had this issue with my friends wheels. I used the new deep wheel cleaner and a Scotchbrite pad and it all came off. I took the wheels off the car because I did not have wide openings like your TBSS wheels do ..it was a PITA but it gave me good leverage to scrub them down.

Spray the DWC on ..let it sit and scrub away by hand wearing rubber gloves.

Now that they are clean maintaining them should be really easy.

I had this issue with my friends wheels. I used the new deep wheel cleaner and a Scotchbrite pad and it all came off. I took the wheels off the car because I did not have wide openings like your TBSS wheels do ..it was a PITA but it gave me good leverage to scrub them down.

Spray the DWC on ..let it sit and scrub away by hand wearing rubber gloves.

Now that they are clean maintaining them should be really easy.

Hmm, good idea. I think i'll try and hit it with the Scotchbrite pad and some DWC and if that doesn't work, i'll try the same thing with some APC. I'm thinking i'll just inch the truck along so each wheel spoke is at 6 O'clock, that way the cleaner will puddle up. Going on a trip tomorrow, so the next time i get a chance to wash it i'll report back with my findings. Thanks again guys!

All purpose and a toothbrush. It's not iron deposits its grease or grime or something else!

Wheel woolies work well you can abuse them and they still kick butt!

Do you think the wheel woolies are more agressive then the fender well brush? I don't have any wheel woolies but the fender well brush fits in between my spokes.

Have the same caked on my barrels. Tried APC with 0000 steel wool and most of it came right off. This was before DWC came out. Haven't got around to doing the other wheels yet because I determined the wheels needed to come off to tackle that project. Waiting for summer

Sent using Tapatalk

If its been baked in and untreated for a long time it may need to be really scrubbed... best bet it to pull one wheel, try again, but this time with a better angle to scrub.

That what i was thinking. I need to adjust my pass front coilover anyways? Two birds one stone i guess.

Have the same caked on my barrels. Tried APC with 0000 steel wool and most of it came right off. This was before DWC came out. Haven't got around to doing the other wheels yet because I determined the wheels needed to come off to tackle that project. Waiting for summer

Sent using Tapatalk

Eric, are you AWD? I'm wondering if the previous owner of mine had a front cv boot tear at some point? Little bit of grease mixed with some dirt and brake dust, add in some heat from the brakes and thats where my "staining" came from?

Eric, are you AWD? I'm wondering if the previous owner of mine had a front cv boot tear at some point? Little bit of grease mixed with some dirt and brake dust, add in some heat from the brakes and thats where my "staining" came from?

that could be it...