Customer Service 866.965.0400

First Car Show for me...

K5/TBSS

Question

Hey guys,

I'm registered in my first car show next Saturday, the 13th. It's part of a benefit for my best friend's uncle, who has cancer. I'm not going to win, just for the experience of my first show (as a contestant) and of course the good cause.

My question is - what's the best products, and order of products to use once I get there? I plan on finishing my paint correction this coming saturday, sealant, glaze, americana. What do I need to do before the show starts though? I may wash the SS again before the show itself. But what do most of you do once you pull up and are set? A simple detail spray wipe down, or do you do another coat of glaze? Or Americana?

Thanks for the help! Pics to follow!!!

25 answers to this question

I always just took along the detail spray, undercarriage spray, glass cleaner and leather conditioner. When I got there, I'd wipe her down with the DS, clean the glass, do the wheel wells, and then wipe down the interior with the LC. Of course, I had done a full detail before the show. If they're calling for rain........then forget everything I said.

Dont forget to bring some extra DS for the guys around you using the duster from California.

All listed above should be great. If you get really dusty bring some waterless wash before the DS. An extra coat of BG before the show wouldnt hurt either.

Good luck:2thumbs:

I can't get away with detail spray, I have to take waterless wash. If I drive more than a few miles the back end and lower panels of my car are too dirty for detail spray. So waterless wash (after everything cools down). Then maybe a quick coat of BG or a detail spray wipe down. Touch up the tires, wheels and fender wells. Keep her clean as long as you can safely without inducing swirls...

I can't get away with detail spray, I have to take waterless wash. If I drive more than a few miles the back end and lower panels of my car are too dirty for detail spray. So waterless wash (after everything cools down). Then maybe a quick coat of BG or a detail spray wipe down. Touch up the tires, wheels and fender wells. Keep her clean as long as you can safely without inducing swirls...

Same way with the mustang, all the dust and debris clings to the rear bumper. Shot of waterless wash and wipe down with detail spray good to go!!!!:2thumbs:

Isn't it best not to apply Brilliant glaze on top of Americana? Americana is usually my top coat; so would I have any issues if I apply Glaze once I get to the show?

I would do a test with it first. My opinion is that you would probably lose a little longevity from the Americana if you glazed over it, but you might like the short term pop from it. Glaze does amazing things. If at something like a car show where you just need 1 day of the best you can get, I would do my prep/glaze/americana. Go to the show, waterless as needed, then a glaze coat for the day and take it off with detail spray.

That worked amazing for the Grabber Blue, YMMV.

Isn't it best not to apply Brilliant glaze on top of Americana? Americana is usually my top coat; so would I have any issues if I apply Glaze once I get to the show?

The Glaze will degrade the Americana slightly, but the extra UMPH that it gives you I think it's worth it for a show.

Any other time, yes, glaze goes before wax.

If you bring the Invisible Undercarraige Spray make sure you're real careful with spraying it on a foam block or however you plan to apply. If the winds are just enough, it can blow that stuff on your paint and the other cars around you.

I like to apply that first then follow up with SVRT and wipedown the wheels. From there I use Waterless Wash to clean down the paint from any dust or dirt or even the Undercarraige Spray as I mentioned prior. And also hit the windows with Glass Cleaner.

From there it's your own choice on what to use next. It could be as simple as a Detail Spray wipedown or throw a coast of Brilliant Glaze on their like Erik said for that extra shine for the show.

Good luck and make sure to snap some shots of the show for all of us Shine Freaks on here. :thumbsup:

Best of Luck Matt! It is always interesting to go to shows, but you have the right attitude. It is for a good cause and that is the reason you are going. There are so many people that go only for a trophy and when they don't get it the complaining starts. It's just fun to have your vehicle looking great and when people compliment you then that is the real benefit to going. It's always fun too when people ask you how you got it so shiny to be able to Adamize them.

It was explained to me about shows a long time ago by a good friend, DemoN....

"If you are doing this to win, clearly you are missing the point. The fun is in getting it ready. The fun is getting it built to the point you CAN get it ready."

Bring your touch up items...SVRT, Glass Cleaner, WW, DS, UCS, InO, and YES, for a show, BG over the top of APW.

Mook

Hey guys... Car show was this past Saturday. It was a pretty small turn out, only had 33 cars, and mine was the only one from this century... lol. There were 3 other vehicles in my class though (1990-present, modified class) and I won 1st place!!! First out of 4 is still first place ;) (And yes, the dope Ranger next to mine was one of them..)

Overall it was a very fun experience! It's a little unnerving watching people getting close enough to look in your windows, but I got used to it. Got TONS of compliments on the paint... Especially once the sun came out and showed the actual condition of the paint.

The judges came by and were very complimentary. Like I said, I had the newest vehicle there by far, and was also probably the youngest kid, but they complimented me on entering, and said they wished more young people would get involved around here.

A few pics... This was when vehicles were still pulling in.

IMG_1947_zpsfeea904d.jpg

IMG_1945_zpsc64464dc.jpg

IMG_1946_zpsa2a4bbcf.jpg

IMG_1941_zps0b9f8b27.jpg

IMG_1949_zps1154cf5b.jpg

IMG_1950_zpsb52bcb66.jpg

GF took a few while I wiped down with WW...

IMG_1943_zps89d57ee2.jpg

IMG_1940_zps66d1aa9d.jpg

IMG_1942_zpsb67fdbd8.jpg

Edited by K5/TBSS

Thanks guys!

Wow your windows are dark. The truck looks great. I'm liking the hood too.

Haha thanks Andrew. Yeah, the rear windows have been tinted over the stock tint. It was like that when I bought it. I'm pretty sure the percentage is in the single digits... It looks good in my opinion, but if I had my choice it'd be gone. It's difficult to see backing up, especially at night.

Thanks guys!

Haha thanks Andrew. Yeah, the rear windows have been tinted over the stock tint. It was like that when I bought it. I'm pretty sure the percentage is in the single digits... It looks good in my opinion, but if I had my choice it'd be gone. It's difficult to see backing up, especially at night.

I think mine is sitting at 15% all around. The back glass on the hatch wasn't touched to be able to see backing up. I remember the days of wanting 5% all around but just wasn't worth the hassle to me anymore. But it looks amazing.

congrats man, great job. that looks like its near 2 brothers bbq?

Doubtful... Lol this was in Coffeyville, KS - my hometown. The car show/motorcycle poker run served as a memorial for my best friend's uncle, who just recently passed away.

It was kind of cool though, the guy had a couple old cars that he took to shows, rode a Harley, and was a fire fighter. So at one point; the "memorial" was all the bikes & cars revving their engines and fire truck sirens going off for a full minute. Definitely gave me some chills!

On another note - are you going to be at Andrew's detail clinic this Saturday?

Doubtful... Lol this was in Coffeyville, KS - my hometown. The car show/motorcycle poker run served as a memorial for my best friend's uncle, who just recently passed away.

It was kind of cool though, the guy had a couple old cars that he took to shows, rode a Harley, and was a fire fighter. So at one point; the "memorial" was all the bikes & cars revving their engines and fire truck sirens going off for a full minute. Definitely gave me some chills!

On another note - are you going to be at Andrew's detail clinic this Saturday?

yea im going to try to make it but my wife leaves for TDY sunday and my parents are visiting us this week too so IDK whats planned. crossing my fingers though