Customer Service 866.965.0400

Forum Formatting

carlrx7

Same here, running 1920x1200 on my MBP and I have tons of wasted space as well.

Most sites still cater to the 4:3 aspect ratio, few cater to the 16:9 aspect ratio

One that drives me nuts is eBay, it's such a waste on my widescreen

Just FYI, even if the forums did stretch out the entire width of the screen, the only beneficial place you would see this is in posts that are very text-heavy (multiple 10+ sentence paragraphs). As the majority of posts are often much shorter than that (or rather include many photos instead), horizontal stretching would gain absolutely 0 vertical space whatsoever.

Below is a screenshot of the forum in its current state superimposed on what the forums would look like with the width attribute set to 1500 pixels (rather than the current 990). For reference, my resolution is 1680x1050. You will notice no difference in the scroll bar's length as everything would still line up.

forumswidth.jpg

Forgot about photos, which we love to post up to show off our details, wider screen, more view able photo.

If I have a 800-pixel-wide photo it is going to be 800 pixels regardless of how wide the forum layout is...

Like I already said, the only place a wider forum would be better is in topics with walls of text. Images have fixed dimensions and aren't going to get larger by themselves with extra space.

Besides, if someone posts an image that is really large, even though the forum will shrink it to fit the layout, you can click on it to have it pop up full size. A wider monitor is what will let you see more of the photo in that case, and not everybody has the same size monitor.