Customer Service 866.965.0400

HELP SOS Pad used on paint

2012CC6.2

Question

Well, you read right, i was at my girlfriends house today and her dad hit me up. Her uncle(i understand some people arent smart like us on cars) used an SOS pad to get the "bugs" off of his paint. He said it worked so well that he used it on the whole truck! My question is of the pictures i am attaching what would be your approach. I own a PC and a set of 4" focus pads for the drill. I am very familiar with color sanding and will go that route as a final destination. Any thoughts are appreciated.... I havent visually inspected it yet, i'm almost afriad to.

post-9166-0-66883300-1370231115_thumb.jpg

post-9166-0-78168300-1370231146_thumb.jpg

That car needs to be wetsanded. IMO no amount of buffing with a compound or otherwise is gong to help. And here's to hoping he didn't go to deep with it. 

Having said that, I would obviously start with the SSR, then I personally would wipe to see what progress was made.  If it was significant, I would move on the the SHR.  If not, make another pass of the SSR, and continue the process.  SHR doesn't cut as much as some would like, so with damage like that, you're going to need some pad power my man.  You're also kind of behind the power curve with the PC.  Not saying it can't get the job done, you'll just have more time, more passes.  Keep us posted.  Its awesome that you're there helping in the first place, thats a win in my book before you're even on the scene to begin with!  Good luck!

What polish/pad set-up do you have for your PC? 

Using the least agressive approach, find the worst spot on the vehicle in terms of marring and scratches, and polish out that area.  Check the results and if you have to go more agressive than do so, but you never know what your working with until you do that first pass.  I've one stepped severly oxidized paint before that I thought would take multiple steps, and got it to 95% on the first pass, using a 3401VRG though.

That car needs to be wetsanded. IMO no amount of buffing with a compound or otherwise is gong to help. And here's to hoping he didn't go to deep with it. 

I'm sure that's what it will take, im just hoping not. Like i stated above, it's bad that some people really dont know that's a " BIG NO-NO"! But all i can do is try and salvage what he has butchered

Having said that, I would obviously start with the SSR, then I personally would wipe to see what progress was made.  If it was significant, I would move on the the SHR.  If not, make another pass of the SSR, and continue the process.  SHR doesn't cut as much as some would like, so with damage like that, you're going to need some pad power my man.  You're also kind of behind the power curve with the PC.  Not saying it can't get the job done, you'll just have more time, more passes.  Keep us posted.  Its awesome that you're there helping in the first place, thats a win in my book before you're even on the scene to begin with!  Good luck!

i dont think it will be as heavy in some spots as other, so maybe my 4" focus pads and a little color sanding will do the trick on the "bad spots"

That doesn't look so significant that the three step process can't fix it. I've seen some amazing transformations, some worse than that. I had DEEP scratches from OLD carpet that my wife threw over the bedrail of my truck. the edge of the backing sawed into my paint like a butcher's saw bone into a cattle carcass. Adams three step went ahead and did the impossible and took that out. I couldn't freaking believe it. Trust be, this stuff is unreal sometimes.

Edit: Bone Saw not saw bone!

Edited by IrishCurse

What polish/pad set-up do you have for your PC? 

Using the least agressive approach, find the worst spot on the vehicle in terms of marring and scratches, and polish out that area.  Check the results and if you have to go more agressive than do so, but you never know what your working with until you do that first pass.  I've one stepped severly oxidized paint before that I thought would take multiple steps, and got it to 95% on the first pass, using a 3401VRG though.

I have the full pad set up from Adams, i do ALOT of paint corrections just havent ever done one that had a SOS pad used on it lol! I'm just getting ideas before i see the damage! I love this forum!

Ahhh, gotcha.  You got this then man...just polling for ideas.....Good luck, and let us know what worked. 

Will do, it may be a week or so before i get to tackle it. Sounds like a good challenge though.....

Dear god man. Are we talking steel wool or green plastic pads? If just scrub pad I'd say you could polish it fine. Although this is one time I'd want to have a rotary lol. I can't imagine how long that will take with a PC.

I actually have a rotary but it is olddd and still uses an old style pad. It is what i used after we just put fresh paint and color sanded a brand new paint job. It is ONLY used for the first cut of polish, then i proceed with my Adams arsenal. And it was a green SOS pad from what i was told, the ones with metal. Luckily it wasnt the red one i guess....

I cringed more at this than during tonight's Game of Thrones 

Take Matt's advice in post #4

Haha, i was shocked for the whole story right after he said "he used an SOS pad on his paint" LOL!!! :wacko:

Edited by 2012CC6.2

I just had the hair stand up on my arms when I read an SOS pad was used to take bugs off.

If you have the Adams pad set up ..you cannot go wrong with the 3 step. Try the aggressive first ..like others had stated.. you might not need the aggressive pad and SHR.

Judging by the inability of SSH to remove paint overspray..I highly doubt the current product line has enough "cut" to remove the damage done by taking an abrasive pad to a painted surface. 

With a PC? I hope you have a week full of nothing else to do. Even with a flex and some aggressive compound I would have my reservations. If anything a rotary and an experienced operator would be the minimum I would expect could help. But having been through this situation myself...wetsanding was the only solution. 

You think swirls are hard to remove?

Well these are scratches and a compound will be needed , no sanding, I've seen worst.

Compound on an orange pad at first, if you have problems go the the green pad.

Wash

Clay

Compound

SHR

FMP

MSS

Will take time but should have no problems, if you have questions send me a PM and I'll suggest something for you that will work.

Kevin

Will take time but should have no problems, if you have questions send me a PM and I'll suggest something for you that will work.

Kevin

Why are you unable to just recommend something in this thread?  

Well these are scratches and a compound will be needed , no sanding, I've seen worst.

Wash

Clay

Compound

SHR

FMP

MSS

Kevin

I agree; if there's a solution post it here so we can all learn from it and discuss it or other approaches. This isn't a "We talk about Adam's stuff only here" thing, it's just that we don't want a situation developing where someone gets unsatisfactory results and then runs off to the WWW posting things like "I got bad advice on Adamsforums" and we have no idea who/why/what or how to help them. 

Thanks.

Wash

Clay

Compound

SHR

FMP

MSS

Kevin

I guess I didn't see what wa wrong with this response, thanks for the tips. I'm thinking its going to take the green pad from the get go. I'm am going to look at the truck here in a few hours. Will take some pics and post them up when I get back.

Wash

Clay

Compound

SHR

FMP

MSS

Kevin

I'm guessing you're going to reccommend something OTHER than Adam's that you can't post on here. :ph34r:

I don't like to bring up non Adam's in the open forum unless someone else was to bring it up.

Kevin

It's a compound.

I'm guessing you're going to reccommend something OTHER than Adam's that you can't post on here. :ph34r:

Right.

Being he needs a compound I'd like to suggest a product to remove those scratches.

A lot worst than swirls:)

Dear god man. Are we talking steel wool or green plastic pads? If just scrub pad I'd say you could polish it fine. Although this is one time I'd want to have a rotary lol. I can't imagine how long that will take with a PC.

A very long time :)

Kevin

Judging by the inability of SSH to remove paint overspray..I highly doubt the current product line has enough "cut" to remove the damage done by taking an abrasive pad to a painted surface. 

I think the problem here is expecting a clear coat polish to remove paint overspray in the first place. Claying removes overspray (which is done before polishing anyway), polishing removes defects. Overspray is not a defect, it's a foreign contaminant. The fact that SSR doesn't remove paint overspray has no bearing on it's clear coat cutting ability.

There's no reason why the OP shouldn't be able to get results with SSR/SHR/FMP. Not saying perfect results because it's hard to tell the severity without seeing them first-hand, but to completely dismiss a product simply for not being able to do what it is not even marketed for is rather silly.

Well I tried the SSHR to remove swirls on my black SUV again last week, not scratchers and it did nothing.
Yes I put the right amount of pressure, it was indoors. I used a green a green pad an my PC
It wasn't my procedure that wasn't working it was the product.
Just like the guy here having trouble with his new truck, it didn't work after 20 tries, he had to go outside the lines and when he did they were removed without much work.

Two members here tried it on they're Camaros over and over again and is didn't work, I went meet them to show them how to remove them.
I gave it another try just to make sure it didn't work but it was more of a test of the product.
With this said I don't think it will remove scratches , not from an SOS pad being used on the finish.
It will need a cut, one mentioned using a rotary which as you all know is my preferred tool for buffing but not sure that would even work.

One mentioned wet sanding. why?, because they are bad.

Will I return it?
No because I'lll use it to polish glass or on something that just needs a shine.

It's the only product I have from Adam that doesn't work for me.
As I said on another thread, there are many to notch products sold by Adam's.

And yes you'll need something that will cut for this IMO

Kevin

I was just up front with him, I'd hate for him to be like that guy that had problems with his new truck

Edited by MrHot88