Customer Service 866.965.0400

Windshield Disaster

DCdevil

Question

Hello all!

First of all, just wanted to say that I love the products I've tried so far - great stuff. I'm new to detailing (just purchased my first new car...yadda yadda). Trying to keep good care of it.

Anyways, on a recent long road trip something managed to splat on my windshield and dry up. A few days later. I went to go remove it from my windshield but for the life of my couldn't get it off with a normal windshield squeegee. So, I then attempted to wet a paper towel (big mistake) and manually remove it - not counting for the fact that the dead bug (this spot is about the size of two quarters), would mix in with the wet paper towel and make the situation even worse. So - now do I not only have a huge dead bug crusted on my windshield....but also dried paper towel!

Any advice how to remove "caked" on spots without scratching the glass?

12 answers to this question

Glass isn't that easy to scratch as long as you use some common sense.   (not that YOU haven't)

I'd spray it down with Adams Glass Cleaner and let it sit, respray to keep it wet and let it stew for a few minutes.  Everything should wipe right off.  Using Adams glass Micro Fiber towel is VERY helpful here too. 

Then, you can grab your clay, spray the whole window with Adams Glass Cleaner and clay the windshield.  Follow that with Adams Glass Sealant and you'll be better than new. 

If you don't have these items in your arsenal yet, grab a Mr Clean Magic eraser, wet it and scrub.  

Waterless wash if you have it, spray on liberally and let it sit.

If not, hot water and white vinegar, soak it, even soak the cloth and lay it ontop of the spot to allow it to absorb/soak in.  After a few minutes use a clean towel to remove bug. don't wipe in a flat motion, roll the towel as you pass the spot, so that only clean towel contacts the surface, and the dirt is pulled up and away.

I always use Clay to get the nasty bugs off of windshields. 

I wouldn't use a razor blade especially since windshields are laminated, it would probably scratch easier. 

Clay it and clay it again and then use some Glass Cleaner. They will come off. Just takes time.

Hope I don't make every pro detailer cringe here, but I use SoftScrub on filthy windshields, followed by Adams Glass Cleaner then Adams Glass sealant. Always looks like new. Never scratches. The SoftScrub use was an act of desperation years ago when I lived in Florida and love bugs covered everything. The Jeep needs this a couple times a year due to the near vertical windshield on the Wrangler, the other vehicles get scrubbed only when needed.

When claying the windshield, should I use Adam's Glass Cleaner or Detail Spray? If I use the Glass Cleaner, will I still be able to use that same piece of clay on the paint with Detail Spray? Thanks.

Either or would be fine, and you can use the same piece, just fold it over and ensure you have clean contact points.