Customer Service 866.965.0400

Windshield Wipers

fcca1502

Question

17 answers to this question

Frank is correct... NO SVRT on your wiper blades! The arms, sure, but the blades themselves, no. 

Clean them with soap/water. I will occasionally do a quick swipe of the leading edges with sandpaper. Over time the rubber starts to harden... removing the top layer of the rubber and oxidation with an abrasive gets you down to a fresh layer of material. 

I just use them until they don't wipe well anymore; usually about every six months.  My DD I'am stuck with buying inserts from the dealer as the design there isn't an aftermarket part that works.  Went that route a while back where I had to physically show the parts guy why the wipers he sold me wouldn't work on my vehicle.

Thanks guys.  

Do any of you swap out your blades during the summer.  Here in California it pretty much doesn't rain from May to October.  Someone suggested that I should install cheap blades for the summer, and better quality blades for the winter.

Just out of curiosity, what happens if you use SVTR on the blades?

Thanks guys.  

Do any of you swap out your blades during the summer.  Here in California it pretty much doesn't rain from May to October.  Someone suggested that I should install cheap blades for the summer, and better quality blades for the winter.

I switch mine out twice a year - the start of winter and again at the start of summer - using good quality blades...no second-string blades for me!  Using SVRT on the blades would rub the stuff all over your windshield and streak like mad...not a good thing.

Maybe I'm in the minority here, but there is nothing better than fresh wiper blades and good clean windshield when driving in the rain.  I've been in others vehicles where the wiper blades and junk and the windshield is nasty.  It's really a safety issue as visibility quickly becomes extremely limited.  I put fresh blades on my vehicles at least twice a year.  As soon as they start to chatter, or loose their sharp edge that gives a perfectly clear swipe, I change em.  Blades are too inexpensive not to, and my life and my family's lives are worth it.

Maybe I'm in the minority here, but there is nothing better than fresh wiper blades and good clean windshield when driving in the rain.  I've been in others vehicles where the wiper blades and junk and the windshield is nasty.  It's really a safety issue as visibility quickly becomes extremely limited.  I put fresh blades on my vehicles at least twice a year.  As soon as they start to chatter, or loose their sharp edge that gives a perfectly clear swipe, I change em.  Blades are too inexpensive not to, and my life and my family's lives are worth it.

^ What Dana said! ^ :2thumbs:

Yep, call me crazy but sometimes I need to go pick up cars for work and their windshields have probably never been cleaned so I bring detail spray with me to clean it and to cause the rain to bead up.  Not crazy enough to bring clay though.  

Thanks guys.  

Being a former californian, I didn't... mine usually survived the summer just fine and made it into the 'rainy season' just fine. So long as you clean them regularly theres no reason you shouldn't get 6-8 months out of a set even in the worst conditions. 

SVRT would likely smear up your glass more than anything. 

Alcohol has a tendency to dry out rubber over time, but if you change your blades twice a year maybe it won't be a problem.  Another good reason to keep your blades and windshield clean is to reduce the chance of scratching the glass.

I agree... alcohol might get them functional again on a short term basis, but definitely isn't going to help extend their life... it will actually speed up the drying / rotting of the rubber. Plus, most any windshield wiper fluid will be high in alcohol content... so you're doubling down on the exposure. 

I promise you my sandpaper method above will work very well... it removes that top layer of oxidized rubber and makes them nice and pliable again. You can also use a scotch brite pad, steel wool, or anything abrasive that won't leave a residue behind. Couple quick swipes on the blade itself is all it takes. 

^^^ what Dylan said about sandpaper. There is a fleet of dump trucks that come in to work that run a quarry route and were eating up blades like once every month. The drivers started using a swipe of sandpaper and almost doubled the life of the blades.