Customer Service 866.965.0400

Premium Shield and Adams Products

CooperS7777

Question

Hey guys, shortly after we picked up our 14' Explorer Sport, I had the front end wrapped in Premium Shield protective coating.  I spent quite a bit of time researching products, and this seemed like the best option to protect the front of our new car.  I also had them wrap the rear bumper as our German Shepherd often rides with us, so its unacceptable from damage when he's jumping in/out.   Premium Shield is also a local (New England) company - which helped seal the deal.

After the install they suggested (and provided me with) a 3m plastic polish which they suggested I use to protect and clean the film.

I'm sure that as well know as Adams is, and as many vehicles as Premium Shield is used to protect (I was told ~700 a month from the Massachusetts location, and another ~1000 a month out of their Miami location - including wraps shipped to installers across the globe) that there are folks out there who have used Adams products in conjunction with Premium Shield. 

Is there anyone on here who has experience with this?  What products do you use, and how do you use them?

Im planning on doing a full pre-winter detail on our vehicles and my plan for the Sport was this:

Strip wash

Clay bar

Hand polish

Quick sealant

Brilliant glaze

Buttery wax

Will this be OK over the Premium Shield?  Are there other steps I should take, or steps I should skip over for the protected areas?

Also, is the hand polish necessary on a brand new vehicle, or can I go right to quick sealant after the clay bar?

Thanks in advance,

Coop

9 answers to this question

If it's just a clear bra, you can hand polish it with Revive or Finish Polish.  It' shines it up quite a bit, then protect it with QS or APW.

Personally, in your climate, I'd put two coats of AQS on it and call it good.  Buttery will be gone in no time in the winter and BG is to hide imperfections which the buttery will do as well.  2-3 coats of AQS will last you all winter and perhaps more if you clean it after every winter storm. 

If it's just a clear bra, you can hand polish it with Revive or Finish Polish.  It' shines it up quite a bit, then protect it with QS or APW.

Personally, in your climate, I'd put two coats of AQS on it and call it good.  Buttery will be gone in no time in the winter and BG is to hide imperfections which the buttery will do as well.  2-3 coats of AQS will last you all winter and perhaps more if you clean it after every winter storm.

Awesome! Thanks for the quick reply chewy! Is it worth while to hand polish before the quick sealant or is that overkill on a new car?

The paint is very clean - its a 14 and it showed up 2 months ago. Im just curious if its worth it while I was going through the motions, or if it would be something I look at after and not notice a thing.

Edited by CooperS7777

As Mook is getting to, if it's BRAND NEW, you could just put on a LSP (last stage product) and be done with it. 

My new RAM sat out in MI for a couple of months before they sent it to me so when I got it, it NEEDED a polish.  I did just as you outlined in your first post, except I used my Flex and Finish polish to bling it up. I also used AQS and left it at that.  For a DD, AQS is the BOMB!  I also find that with a wax it tends to glom onto contaminates and hold them onto the vehicle, but sealants do not.  I've tested my theory over the past couple of winters and this is how I came to this conclusion.  I also go to a coin op and hand spray the vehicle with straight water after any snow storm to get the crap off the paint.

Cooper, Chewy is the man and knows about these things. I was appalled at what was on my G8 paint when I got it new, but it came from Australia. My clear bra on the nose looks great and I machine polish it carefully with Fine Machine. I had to clay and polish my car new. Do the baggie trick to see if claying is necessary, but I would believe it is.

I'll be doing the exact same method you're using on your new Explorer to my new truck in a few weeks. I'll be putting on 2 coats of Quick Sealant, then Glaze, and then Buttery. We have mild winters here in TX, so I'm not terribly concerned about longevity of the wax. Although I'm hoping the buttery will last at least a couple months. 

Thanks for the tips guys! 

I havent done the Explorer just yet, but I have spent the past couple days getting my Evo ready for a cruise/show this weekend.  Its hood is covered in 3m clear material, and I clayed/hand polished the whole thing.  There were some water spots on the 3m bra, and I got a little aggressive with the clay trying to get them out.  Now if you look at the bra where the water spots were - it looks "scratched". 

I've tried to snap a photo of it, but its proving to be nearly impossible to catch on camera.  It looks great from a distance and from almost every angle, but it really bugs me when I get close and look. 

Any suggestions to help fix this?  

Hopefully this will prove a learning experience as Id rather have done it on my car than hers. 

-Coop