Customer Service 866.965.0400

NO! Please don't tell me they washed my car...

Hot_Wheel

I took my Hot Wheel in to the dealership for its first oil change.  I went to pick it up, and when I saw my key, there was a tag that said "washed. out front."  I murmured "No, please don't tell me they washed my car."  I guess I said it a little louder than I thought.  The woman at the cashier counter blanched.  

I quickly said "Hey, no worries.  It's my fault for not saying anything."  She still rushed off towards the service counter.

One of the service guys came out an apologized, saying "sorry, you weren't listed as a no-wash customer."

"Totally my fault.  No problem.  I didn't say anything up front.  It never occurred to me that you'd wash the car for an oil change... By the way, does your car wash just use water jets?"

"No, it has brushes." (I must have reacted) "BUT, they are really soft brushes."

He apologized again, and now I felt bad.  But I was more mad at myself.  When I got home I had to deal with water spots and drips from the tail-lights, etc.  Lesson learned, I guess.  Kudos as well to the service folks for taking the time to apologize for doing something they thought was a bonus.

I took my Hot Wheel in to the dealership for its first oil change.  I went to pick it up, and when I saw my key, there was a tag that said "washed. out front."  I murmured "No, please don't tell me they washed my car."  I guess I said it a little louder than I thought.  The woman at the cashier counter blanched.  

I quickly said "Hey, no worries.  It's my fault for not saying anything."  She still rushed off towards the service counter.

One of the service guys came out an apologized, saying "sorry, you weren't listed as a no-wash customer."

"Totally my fault.  No problem.  I didn't say anything up front.  It never occurred to me that you'd wash the car for an oil change... By the way, does your car wash just use water jets?"

"No, it has brushes." (I must have reacted) "BUT, they are really soft brushes."

He apologized again, and now I felt bad.  But I was more mad at myself.  When I got home I had to deal with water spots and drips from the tail-lights, etc.  Lesson learned, I guess.  Kudos as well to the service folks for taking the time to apologize for doing something they thought was a bonus.

You Need this 

http://www.adamsforums.com/topic/16156-do-not-wash-printable-dealership-warning-hangers/?hl=%20wash%20%20tags

Edited by Nick@Adams

It seems dealerships wash your vehicle thinking they are providing better service to their customers................but for all of us OCD types it only makes us cringe even thinking about them touching it. Not to hijack the thread but I am so bad, I had a state inspection sticker in my window from the dealer and it was not straight, well obviously it had to be removed. I can not bring myself to let my car be touched by anyone to get a new sticker, so I have not had one since February. I actually made an appointment,  but did not show up because I thought about it all day and thought no way do I want anyone else in my car........................

It seems dealerships wash your vehicle thinking they are providing better service to their customers................but for all of us OCD types it only makes us cringe even thinking about them touching it. Not to hijack the thread but I am so bad, I had a state inspection sticker in my window from the dealer and it was not straight, well obviously it had to be removed. I can not bring myself to let my car be touched by anyone to get a new sticker, so I have not had one since February. I actually made an appointment,  but did not show up because I thought about it all day and thought no way do I want anyone else in my car........................

When I got my State Inspection done last year I asked them to just give me the sticker so that I can take off the old and put on the new.

They wouldn't do it.  Said it's "illegal" to give out the sticker.

Of course there was sticky crap and greasy fingerprints all over the inside of my windshield after they completed this "service" for me.

Next time I'll tell them:  You don't have to give it to me.  Let me put it on right here in your shop!  You can stand there and watch to make sure I don't do anything nefarious.

Your government at work....

I always remember to tell them not to wash my car anymore, but I recently discovered something else I have to tell them NOT to do.  "Test" the windshield wipers.  I went in for an oil change a couple months ago the day after I washed it and made sure they understood that the car did not need to be washed.  They give the car back to me with dried wiper fluid and wiper marks on the windshield.  They were confused why I was upset and now they offered to wash the window.  No thank you.

When I got my State Inspection done last year I asked them to just give me the sticker so that I can take off the old and put on the new.

Of course there was sticky crap and greasy fingerprints all over the inside of my windshield after they completed this "service" for me.

Next time I'll tell them:  You don't have to give it to me.  Let me put it on right here in your shop!  You can stand there and watch to make sure I don't do anything nefarious.

i tried that once, they ignored me and still put the inspection sticker on, crooked and not in the place i wanted it

This is why I'm glad my brother has his inspector license.  He know's how OCD I am so he lets me remove the old sticker and apply the new one myself.

Wow!  Lots of comments while I was at work...  Thanks very much for the link to the hang-tag.  I will definitely be printing that out and using it.

Also the tip about the windshield wiper is important.

I got the free oil change, and I got to break out the Waterless Wash when I got home, so all-in-all not a horrible experience...

Here in Canada with the snow and salt I take my vechicles in and get rustproofing sprayed on the undercarriage and in the doors, etc. every year. They spray the cars then take them outside and wash them as there is overspray all over. I always tell them no and do it myself after I get home. I just cringe watching them wash car after car with the same brush :eek:  on a long pole. One time they did a muddy 4x4, then a nice late model Mustang next. My cars are a real mess after to clean up but worth it for the protection for the winter.