Customer Service 866.965.0400

Not happy with auto insurance-paid repair. What to do?

recadna

Question

My minivan was hit from the driver side and the driver side door was replaced, supposedly with new door from Honda.  (The other driver's insurance company handles the bill and the repair facility is one of its authorized shops).  Anyway, when we went and picked up the van, these were we saw and we refused the van. 

1). The door handle is not obviously new and the repaid shop claimed that they actually kept the old door handle (and chipped it while taking off the other door frame).  It made me wonder why they would do that?  Would it be simpler just to change the whole door instead of taking it apart and putting it back?

2) We are particularly upset about the in-between of the door.  The van is impossible to sell/trade with the poor repair job.  The repair shop claimed the extra stuff is sealant but I have not never seen something being this obvious and ugly.  Again, I do not get why they would apply sealant this poorly?  It screams the van was in the accident because the repair was poorly done.  I ask them to refinish and they have been hesitant.  The repair cost is almost getting to the total value and I can see both insurance and repair shop  want to stop putting money in the repair.

The repair shop called us again today and said they re-paint the door handle and re-finishing the in-between of the drive door.  The insurance company wants us to return the rental car today.  What should we do if the repair (especially the in-between of the door) is still bad?  As I said, they do not want to spend more money and I am afraid they just want us to take it as it is?  

post-11119-0-41318100-1381868345_thumb.jpg

post-11119-0-65408300-1381868352_thumb.jpg

14 answers to this question

If the company footing the bill says that they will stop paying then you only have about one option that I can think of. Collect as much evidence of the crap work as possible, have the repairs done by a more reputable shop, and send the bill from the new shop to the insurance company. They'll refuse to pay and you'll end up having to sue them to get your money.

Again, this is only what I can think of but I'm sure someone else will have a different idea.

Get the agent involved.  Call the adjusting supervisors and keep going up the chain until word starts coming back down the chain.  Sales won't like the bad mouthing and can put a little pressure on claims.  But if this is a lot of money to make right they will side step you until you file suit. 

Take it to a dealer auto body repair shop and get an estimate from them on how much to repair it.  They will also give you expert advice on what was done wrong and what needs to be done to make it right. Then go back to their insurance and repair shop.  You may have to fight to make it right.  A lot of times they will try and bully individuals in hopes that they just give up due to time and money that it may entail to make it right.  Good luck.

The door handle is something entirely different than just buying a new door.  A new door doesn't come with the handle.  It however should have been painted to match.  Another thing is if the paint doesn't match in the sun don't accept it.  A good painter should be able to match it.

Edited by LFairbanks

If you are not happy with the repair, do not accept the vehicle, and do not sign anything. Stay in the rental. It is the body shop's duty to return the vehicle to pre-loss condition and the other party's insurance company must fairly compensate the shop to accomplish the repair. Looks like someone smeared some seam sealer in that joint. What does that area of the other side of the vehicle look like? I doubt it looks as sloppy as the repaired side.

My guess is the shop has been short paid on some of the repairs, so they are taking some short cuts. That door handle condition is absolutely ludicrous! So much for quality control.

You may have to contact the insurance company yourself. Remind them the vehicle has not been returned to pre-loss condition and if they will not authorize the proper repairs, you will seek compensation from their insured for the subsequent repairs needed. Again, sign nothing!

If you are not happy with the repair, do not accept the vehicle, and do not sign anything. Stay in the rental. It is the body shop's duty to return the vehicle to pre-loss condition and the other party's insurance company must fairly compensate the shop to accomplish the repair. Looks like someone smeared some seam sealer in that joint. What does that area of the other side of the vehicle look like? I doubt it looks as sloppy as the repaired side.

My guess is the shop has been short paid on some of the repairs, so they are taking some short cuts. That door handle condition is absolutely ludicrous! So much for quality control.

You may have to contact the insurance company yourself. Remind them the vehicle has not been returned to pre-loss condition and if they will not authorize the proper repairs, you will seek compensation from their insured for the subsequent repairs needed. Again, sign nothing!

Thats some good advice there.  Like was mentioned above, your car needs to be returned to pre loss condition.  That picture on the right looks like they scabbed the door together and didn't buy a new one.

I'm with lf Fairbanks take it to the dealer if not a reputable body shop and at least get a couple opinions and another estimate. I work at a dealer(not in the body shop) and I've seen this many times. Short cutted you because they have done this to others and got away with it to comp their bottom line from underbid jobs.

I agree with what the others have said, maybe even send pictures or get the insurance adjuster out to take a look at the shotty repair.  That is horrible, you are not overacting.  You shouldn't be able to tell the vehicles was even repaired if they are a decent body shop...and that door handle?  Yeah, they just swapped that over to the new door, hands down...for god sakes it's wasn't even painted. 

DO NOT SIGN ANYTHING ACCEPTING THE REPAIRS...has that been said yet?

Edited by 07RS4

http://www.edmunds.com/car-care/confessions-from-the-auto-body-shop.html

Read the part about Don't Get Pushed to "Preferred" Auto Body Shops 

"When an insurance company is paying for repairs, Neal says it often tries to steer clients to its "preferred" list of body shops. Insurance companies control these collision repair facilities by promising them steady work in exchange for corner-cutting, "

http://www.edmunds.com/car-care/confessions-from-the-auto-body-shop.html

Read the part about Don't Get Pushed to "Preferred" Auto Body Shops 

"When an insurance company is paying for repairs, Neal says it often tries to steer clients to its "preferred" list of body shops. Insurance companies control these collision repair facilities by promising them steady work in exchange for corner-cutting, "

True, but I don't know if I'd go by that 100% depending on what needed fixing.  My Optima went to a preferred shop and they told us not to pick up the car because they weren't happy with the paint work they did, so my rental was extended and the repair has a lifetime warranty.

True, but I don't know if I'd go by that 100% depending on what needed fixing.  My Optima went to a preferred shop and they told us not to pick up the car because they weren't happy with the paint work they did, so my rental was extended and the repair has a lifetime warranty.

Didn't say that it happens "100%".  But I'am sure that there are instances where it does happen, and I wouldn't rule it out in this instance.

crap job on the sealant. make them correct it and the paint on the handle. 

is the car owned or leased?  if its owned you should pursue "lost value" due to the accident.  selling the car its going to take a hit on value, it now has a bad carfax and a paint meter will let them know where it has been repaired regardless of how good it looks.  sorry to say but the vehicle is worth less now, hence the "lost value" where you can claim to be reimbursed for the difference in what the car is worth compared to one that hasn't been in an accident.  (if its a lease don't sweat it, unless the lease holder is going to charge you but if the repair is done decent it will be fine under the normal wear and tear clause unless there was frame damage).

sorry for the troubles, as others have said continue to fight for what is right, many less than ideal, even the some of the big name, insurance companies often operate under the practice that you will give up and go away so they can maintain their margins. if you are persistent you will come out on top.

Edited by stirthepot

I echo some of the thoughts on here.

The best thing for you to do is to reach out to the insurance carrier to discuss the concerns.  If they are like the companies I work for, they have teams who address concerns such as you have described. 

I had an issue when my TBSS went in and I had the shop repaint the area twice and it's still crap.  Finally the insurance company said, just take it to the dealer of your choice and we will pay for it to be fixed correctly.  Subsequently the original shop had to pay for the new shop to do the repairs correctly.

The good thing about this being in their approved list is that you have an advocate on your side (even if it's not your insurance carrier) because they have a guarantee on the work.  If you had this situation happen and it was not on their approved lists, you would have to fight the battle yourself. 

I am sorry that you are having to go through this but hopefully it will all work out in the end.