Customer Service 866.965.0400

1998 Trans Am Rebuild (Warning Pic Heavy)

southtexasplayn

• 6 months later...

Haven't updated this thread in forever. There has been numerous changes to the car. First off car is "fully" put back together as of today. I swapped the automatic 4l60e for a 6 speed t56. Went ahead and did a mcleod twin disk clutch, rated for 800whp. Sold my collection of wheels and bought a brand new set of Weld RTS wheels. Went ahead and did a ton of suspension upgrades. Made my first ever pass down the track in it, ran a best of 12.8, with alot more still in it. Currently just trying to work all the bugs out of it. I feel like a bad owner due to the fact the poor car has yet to receive it's first paint correction. :(

post-7570-0-45415800-1408419097_thumb.jpg

post-7570-0-59680600-1408419122_thumb.jpeg

post-7570-0-50703100-1408419153_thumb.jpg

Edited by southtexasplayn

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I have seen this car on FB and I think I follow you on IG! 

VERY sick car. Clean as can be in pics! 

Were you trying to sell it or trade it at one point?

And what kinda motor did you put in it?

Love the Welds but im a little bias 

post-12227-0-97268300-1411075840_thumb.jpg

• 3 months later...

I have seen this car on FB and I think I follow you on IG! 

VERY sick car. Clean as can be in pics! 

Were you trying to sell it or trade it at one point?

And what kinda motor did you put in it?

Love the Welds but im a little bias 

Sorry for the late response, but yeah I've seen your car on IG too. I was trying to sell it for awhile, I had my eye on a c5z, however after really thinking about all the time and money I have invested, its stupid to get rid of it. 

Update from two weeks ago lol! Not much has been happening with the car. School has consumed most of my time. Whoever says engineering is a great idea is wrong lol. However I have been collecting parts here and there. Im going to make a big push to make it to TX2K, although I'm not going to hold my breath.

To spill the beans on the motor. Its a fully forged 6.0 with ported/ polished ls3 heads. For now I'm going to run it N/A. I'll add the nitrous stuff after TX2K.  

My buddy sold me his complete nitrous setup. The plate is a Nitrous Outlet 102mm dual stage with big shot solenoids. I also got his c6 specific stand alone fuel system and a bunch of other Nitrous Outlet goodies. 

I just bolted the plate up in this picture. I cant run it on this intake. I plan on painting the ls3 intake Sonic blue. I also picked up some Kooks 1 7/8" headers. 

IMG_20150104_091109.jpg

20141212_195227.jpg

Picked up a fast 92mm throttle body.

20150201_084128.jpg

Picture of the stand alone. 

20141205_164917.jpg

I ended up trading this for a complete CTS-V brake setup. It wouldn't work on my car anyways. These things are HUGE. Uses 14" c6z rotors.

20141212_135105.jpg

My current front wheels will not work with them, so I have to order 5th gen Camaro offset. Which, kinda works out since I have to buy a new wheel anyways. Long story short, CHECK CALIPER BOLTS. Should look pretty sweet.

7305305938_00817670c5_b.jpg

Throwback to when the car was running.

IMG_20141215_181111.jpg

How it sits now. Poor thing hasn't moved in several months. Hell, I haven't seem the car in forever.

IMG_20150104_090121.jpg

I have about 80% of everything I need to get it running. I am going to shave and repaint the engine bay before the motor goes back in. My goal is to make TXK15, however I'm not going to half-*** things like I did the last time. I have learned a lot more since the original build. There is a million little things I would like to redo, just to satisfy my OCD.

In the mean time, I have been satisfying my need for speed by borrowing my dads new toy lol. 

20150103_161414.jpg

Update 2/22/15! Got the car back to the shop. Ripped the front end and engine bay apart in order to repaint everything. I started smoothing the engine bay. Worst idea ever, but will be worth it in the end (I hate body work). I also got the engine almost ready to go into the car. I'm doing the 411 pcm swap, so I'm basically redoing much of the harness. Most people just re-pin the pcm connectors. I'm going to take the extra time to relocate a few things. 

Car is filthy from sitting for so long. 

20150213_144829.jpg

Front end/ engine bay disassembled.

20150214_112307.jpg

This is a major pain in the ***, but I think it'l pay off in the end. I'm relocating the coolant over flow and battery. Well this leaves a major hole in the apron. I decided to fill it. I started by making a simple cardboard template.

20150214_121028.jpg

Then, I took an old Camry door and cut the pattern out.

20150214_122426.jpg

Welded it up. This is as far as I got, before I decided I had enough of this and called it a day. :fool:

20150214_135053.jpg

Next project was to paint the LS3 intake. I sanded the tops smooth. Next came primer.

SubstandardFullSizeRender.jpg

Then paint.

20150220_190026.jpg

Picture of the motor almost complete. 

IMG_20150221_011028.jpg

Oh I got my new plates in. 

20150218_145137.jpg

• 1 month later...
Update! Not much exciting has been happening due to school at TX2K15. However I did manage to get a few things done over spring break. 

Worked some more on the engine bay.

GfTajI.jpg

On the drivers side I just cut the apron out and welded one big patch panel. Talk about nerve racking cutting a huge hole in your apron.

Y5C94V.jpg

One of my dad's body men is going to do all the body work for me. I just don't have the time/patience to do it myself. 

I'm making the change to a 411 pcm and in order to do this I have to re-pin the harness. First things first, label every wire.

fG1Bq6.jpg

Next, unpin every wire. Once again talk about nerve racking.

bhHIEt.jpg

I then started to re-pin each wire, but soon realized it looked like a cluster f*** due to all the different lengths of wire. My OCD will not allow this. A short trip to radio shack to pick up one of these...

rejIYT.jpg

Best $40 I have ever spent. Highly recommend getting one if you plan on soldering frequently.  

I lengthened or shortened each wire. I know this probably isnt the "correct" way to do this, but honestly it'll be fine. If not, I'll buid a harness from scratch.

GVrqgS.jpg

One down, one to go.

N8aGuU.jpg

fG1Bq6.jpg

Finished. Turned out pretty well if I do say so myself.

oubHlp.jpg

Some new "circles" for the grounds.

faQYVJ.jpg

I tested each pin with my ghetto *** "power probe" consisting of a jump box, some testing leads, a pick, and a test light. Worked great, and it was $free.99 Being a broke college kid, you learn to improvise real quick.  

yQoJND.jpg

Final product. Probably doesn't seem like a big deal, but this damn thing took me probably two weeks of afternoons to finish. I think the end result was worth it. I also deleted all the necessary wires.

$150 for a harness

$40 in braided loom

$50 in soldering supplies

$20 in heat shrink

Having one badass looking harness... priceless

9F2fSU.jpg

I pulled the body harness out in order to relocate the fuse boxes. I went ahead and deleted all the abs and cruise control wiring. I then wrapped it all in braided loom. I forgot to take an after picture. 

5OvGEC.jpg

Oh, and guess whats in those boxes..... my second set of RTS fronts. :doh:

6fsIDQ.jpg

Cts-v 4 piston brembo caliper with c6z 14" rotors all tucked under a 17" wheel.

2PW7BH.jpg

Stock rotor next to the c6z rotor. Not sure how the c6z rotor got rusty. It sat in the trunk of the car for months inside a garage.

lGx95n.jpg

Had a buddy of mine powder coat my power steering bracket and water pump pulley. 

e2tb2z.jpg

Threw my nitrous plate on there just for ****s and giggles. There is no way it'll work on my car. Probably going to go ahead and sell it. 

9sOCvT.jpg

Last but not least, pulled the k-member/ front suspension out to get it ready for paint. You know you've done it a time or two when you have the car on the lift and suspension out in under 20 minutes. 

1brqCy.jpg