Customer Service 866.965.0400

New car Detail

jbjones85

Question

Hey all,

New to this forum and to Adam's products in general.  Placed my first order last week and am excited for it to come in.  With that being said I also have a new car on order scheduled for delivery mid November. 

It is a black Jeep SRT and I want to start things off right so I have told the dealer to NOT do any "detail" work to the car when it arrives as I did not order the dealer installed swirl option. I will be taking delivery of it with all the dirt and dust from it's travels from JNAP to Raleigh, NC.  

My plan for the initial exterior detail is below:

1) wash off any loose dirt/dust

2) hit any really bad areas with APC

3) Foam cannon soak

4) Rinse

5) Clean wheels/tires/wheel wells

6) Re-foam and 2 bucket wash vehicle

7) Rinse

8) Iron - X

9) Rinse

10) Full clay

11) Remove wheels clean backside, clay, and seal (suggestions here? The brembo's dust a lot, similar to Audi's BMW's.)

12) Polish? This is where my main question is, should I jump right in on the Adams 2 step polish or evaluate the condition and try to start with the one step?

13) seal/wax

Any thoughts, suggestions, missing steps, ext.

As an aside, I plan to have Xpel ultimate installed shortly after the detai.  Thoughts on that? Tips/suggestions?

Thank you,

Josh

9 answers to this question

Thank you,  I did order their 2 step as part of my recent order (my wife's car is in deperate need of a good detail).

I personally would go ahead and order the Adam's 2 Step and use the least aggressive (Finishing Polish) and see what results you get. Eventually you will need both steps so might as well order them.

Hey all,

New to this forum and to Adam's products in general.  Placed my first order last week and am excited for it to come in.  With that being said I also have a new car on order scheduled for delivery mid November. 

It is a black Jeep SRT and I want to start things off right so I have told the dealer to NOT do any "detail" work to the car when it arrives as I did not order the dealer installed swirl option. I will be taking delivery of it with all the dirt and dust from it's travels from JNAP to Raleigh, NC.  

My plan for the initial exterior detail is below:

1) wash off any loose dirt/dust

2) hit any really bad areas with APC

3) Foam cannon soak

4) Rinse

5) Clean wheels/tires/wheel wells

6) Re-foam and 2 bucket wash vehicle

7) Rinse

8) Iron - X

9) Rinse

10) Full clay

11) Remove wheels clean backside, clay, and seal (suggestions here? The brembo's dust a lot, similar to Audi's BMW's.)

12) Polish? This is where my main question is, should I jump right in on the Adams 2 step polish or evaluate the condition and try to start with the one step?

13) seal/wax

Any thoughts, suggestions, missing steps, ext.

As an aside, I plan to have Xpel ultimate installed shortly after the detai.  Thoughts on that? Tips/suggestions?

Thank you,

Josh

I would make step #5 your step #1.  Always wash wheels, undercarriage, exhaust tips first, then proceed to clean the paint.  Especially with black paint, you dont want to leave water on it while your doing other steps.  In other words, dont put water to the paint until you absolutely have to.  You will definitely need a finishing polish at minimum unless the car has been in a bubble from the factory.

Everything else looks good - probably overkill on your multiple foaming and rinsing steps but whatever makes you feel warm and cozy, lol. 

What Chase said ^

For the wheels try Adam's QS - it goes on very easily.  Clean with pre-mixed Car Wash Shampoo in a bottle with a foaming sprayer and it will last a while.  If you have to use a stronger cleaner to remove the brake dust, then you will have re-apply QS.

As for the polishing, start with a 2 ft. x 2 ft. area that is representative of the condition of the car.  Use the least aggressive method first, then move to more aggressive pads/polishes is needed.

I couldn't ask for a more perfect link.  Thank you.  This is the exact car I ordered except I didn't order the tow package. 

Good Morning,

The link below is of a New Car Prep I did on a SRT8 Jeep recently.   Hopefully there is some information in there that helps!

Mook

New SRT8 Jeep Grand Cherokee Prep

great.  Thank you. 

What Chase said ^

For the wheels try Adam's QS - it goes on very easily.  Clean with pre-mixed Car Wash Shampoo in a bottle with a foaming sprayer and it will last a while.  If you have to use a stronger cleaner to remove the brake dust, then you will have re-apply QS.

As for the polishing, start with a 2 ft. x 2 ft. area that is representative of the condition of the car.  Use the least aggressive method first, then move to more aggressive pads/polishes is needed.

Here's a link to a new car detail I did in early Sept:

http://www.adamsforums.com/topic/25041-2013-chevy-malibu/

A couple few things omitted in the thread:

I did remove the wheels to make sure they were thoroughly clean, including the barrels. I then put a layer of Quick Sealant on them.

The glass was treated with a coat of Adam's Glass Sealant.

As stated above, start with the least aggressive method of polishing first in a small section. If that gives you your desired results great, if not, only then move to a more aggressive pad/polish combo. You can always remove more clear, you can't put it back on.

With the Malibu I was able to finish down the Paint Correcting Polish with the Orange Microfiber Pads on a Cyclo where I didn't need to follow up with the Finishing Polish on less aggressive pads. Paint Condition, Color, Experience, and Technique allowed for this, your results may differ.

Edit:

Forgot to mention, I cut my Green Wheel Cleaner with 25% distilled water for weekly use on my wheels. This dilution keeps the Quick Sealant going strong through many washes. Dirtier wheels get it full strength or Deep Wheel Cleaner if needed.

Edited by BRZN