Customer Service 866.965.0400

Gas on paint :(

CooperS7777

Question

Long story short, I've spent the past 3 days doing a full detail on my Evo.  I strip washed it, clayed the whole car, hand polished, sealed, b.g., b.w. blah blah blah.  It looks sexy as heck :) 

Anyway, were going on a cruise tomorrow morning so I went out just now and filled her up.  I was at the pump, but apparently the auto stop doesn't work on that one.  I spilled about a cup of gas down the side of her. 

It instantly took the SVRT off the wheel and I about lost my cool standing at the pump.  I grabbed a handful of the *cring* gas station paper towels and cleaned/dried it as best I could and hurried home.  I went over the area thoroughly with quick detail spray and a microfiber.  It feels fine to the touch and I cant visually see anything wrong with the area - though its dark and the lighting in my garage isn't as ideal as daylight.

I guess my question is - can I do anything else?  Is that section of the car going to look like crap in the am or was the quick response/clean up and Adams amazing products enough to protect it? 

Thanks in advance for the help guys. 

-Coop

7 answers to this question

I haven't had that much gas spill but I've gotten drops before, and as long as you clean it up quick you shouldn't have a problem. Make sure there's no residue left behind, polish out any small swirls caused by the paper towels, and re-seal/wax the area. You may also be interested in finding something like this

Thanks guys,  a cup may be an exaggeration - it only came out for as long as it took me to pull my hand off the trigger, which at the time seemed like a ton.  Either way it was more than Id like! 

Unfortunately I dont have the time or the day light to do a full rewash, but Ill get up early and reapply some BG and BW before the cruise. 

I haven't had that much gas spill but I've gotten drops before, and as long as you clean it up quick you shouldn't have a problem. Make sure there's no residue left behind, polish out any small swirls caused by the paper towels, and re-seal/wax the area. You may also be interested in finding something like this

I have one of those bibs on my C4, but the gas cap is on top of the rear deck. It works well.

Rewashing would be the best, but the DS cleanup should do the trick. I would've gone with WW over the DS though as it's more of a cleaner than a gloss enhancer.

But, like others have stated, make sure to reapply your protection as I'm sure the gas stripped it.

You'll be fine. Just give it a gentle wash and re-apply any sealants or waxes to the area.

I did the same thing the very first time I put diesel in my tdi-- spilled it right down the side of the car. Rushed home and washed that panel and wheel, in the driveway, at night, in 40degree weather. My neighbors came home while I was doing it; I'm pretty sure that night convinced them they were living next to a lunatic.