Customer Service 866.965.0400

Really Need Some Advice

cayenne

Question

I've been working on my street rod and just can't seem to get a full correction to my liking.

I'm using a Flex and have been through several various techniques and speeds all with the foam system. On my test panel all of the swirl marks and any RIDS have been removed, but I still have some fashion of micro marring or something I can really identify.

It's nearly impossible to catch in a photo even under full sun, but I've done the best I can. These contoured areas seems to show it better on my camera even though it's like this in several areas of the test panel. These are not circular marks, but very fine and close together horizontal marks across the door. I suspect they were induced by the previous owners love of the California Duster or wiping the car down improperly with cheap microfiber towels? Just a guess...

Any ideas? Should I order the microfiber pads and attempt correcting with them on speed 4 or 5? Or is this a job for the Focus drill attachment? I'm at a loss and I've messed with it for several hours on several different days. I feel like I'm so close, but just plain frustrated.

20131108_174151_zps5386351e.jpg

Edited by cayenne

20 answers to this question

Yes, I'm using the 2 Stage Combo exactly like your link with the foam pads. I'm pretty slow now on the arm speed, I've even done passes slower than what's on the video, but it doesn't impact these spots.

Edited by cayenne

Did you use separate micro-fiber towels, one for wiping the 1st stage polish, and the other for the 2nd stage polish?

I ask because if just one MF towel was used, there may have been some residual product from the 1st stage that "scratched" the finish from the 2nd stage.

Did you use separate micro-fiber towels, one for wiping the 1st stage polish, and the other for the 2nd stage polish?

I ask because if just one MF towel was used, there may have been some residual product from the 1st stage that "scratched" the finish from the 2nd stage.

I either use two separate towels or I don't wipe between stages like is shown in the video. I will admit though, I'm not using Adam's towels. I'm not using cheap Walmart or AutoZone towels either, but Meguiar's X4014 towels. I've always liked them, but I am beginning to have my doubts.

Almost looks like a hologram from a rotary buffer to me...

What happens when you 're-polish' that area?  Marks remain?

I know it seems to look like holograms in the picture, but these are actually very small tight horizontal lines more than anything.

I've re-polished these areas several times, but it remains which is why I think I need to order the MF pad and see if I need to cut a bit more.

Is there a way you could get a better picture? Maybe put your hand or a piece of paper in the picture to focus on, so it catches more of the problem.

Edit: I take back what I said about the GSM of the towels you have. I'm guessing though that they are 250-360 GSM and low density which means they wouldn't touch MY paint ever. I thought I saw a confirmed GSM rating of them, but it was a different towel.

Edited by BKazzle

I wish I could get a better picture... I've taken probably close to 100 pictures and nothing shows up properly. This is one of those things that only shows up in direct sunlight and with your head and eyes looking at the right angle.

I'll happily order some new towels if you think that could be part of the issue. I keep trying to order some of the Single or Double soft but they are always out of stock.

Edited by cayenne

Consider DetailersDomain.com for Adam's towels if they're out.

Phil is awesome and I like supporting him whenever I can. I put in an order at 2:00ish pm one day and it was shipped out 2 hours later. That's crazy. Super fast shipping and if you're on the east coast even better.

As far as your issue: I can tell if it's marring from the towels, but is possible. FWIW, I tested out 3 probably similar gsm towels that didn't pass the light test on a Jeep and they marred the heck out of the paint.

I have not used their new 2 step, but have read about it and it's said that the finishing polish has a super long work time. How long are you working it? DAT polishes need to be fully worked in order to get desired results.

Also, Do you have before pictures?

Here's a before pic. The damage was very easy to pick up on camera. This a world's difference from where I started, the damage could be seen from any angle under most lighting, but now I have to look very hard.

20131102_160322_zpsbc863d42.jpg

20131102_160221_zpsb6eb6544.jpg

I was able to find an Adam's distributor that had towels in stock, so I just placed an order  :)

I'm working the finishing polish down until it flashes and is nearly invisible, just a greasy look.

Edited by cayenne

The swirls have been removed and the lines look parallel/linear to me.

I didn't clay this panel, I did the baggie test and felt no imperfection or bumps from fallout, dust, etc. The top of the car and hood I feel them, but this car doesn't come out much and none of the vertical panels seem to need it. Maybe I should have done it anyway.

After looking at the pictures more, I'm now thinking that these are your typical swirls that aren't capture in their full glory.

Do you have halogen lights, a brinkmann or even your camera light from your phone (ex: iphone flashlight)?

I wonder if this is a case of using too much product or using to aggressive of a pad...or something like those ideas.

Also.....

If in fact they are completely parallel then how are you wiping with the Megs towels?

Some MF towels can mar the paint and I have tested this to be true.

Lighting is crucial when determining what's going on with the paint and so is a proper wipe down of the polish residues.

The one true way to know if you are dealing with a real surface problem or a ghost of something you're doing is to do what I call The T & T.

Tape & Test

split one of those marks that you captured in the pic with a piece of tape. Hit one half with polish and remove the residue, then remove the tape and inspect. If the 2 sides remain identical you might have something that is below your clear or will require something more aggressive than you're current approach. 

Obviously if you see a change from where you polished versus where you didn't, even if its not perfect, you know you have a surface problem that you can indeed impart change to. 

Edited by Dylan@Adams

Thanks for all of the replys and suggestions! I'm travelling for work and won't get a chance to look into anything further until later this coming week.

The good news is I have a new shipment of Adam's products on my door step waiting for me to come home including towels so I can begin eliminating some of the unknowns.

Bit of an update. I did a test on a specific area today while the sun was just right coming into my garage.

The towels I am using are definitely marring the paint. I was able to really go over an area under natural sunlight and my Brinkmann, after making a wipe with the Meguiar's X4014 towels there were new marks in the direction of wipe even though the paint was completely clean.

I'm assuming this is an indication of two things… These towels will now be banned to other detailing tasks, and secondly I'm probably working with a soft clear and my finishing technique will have to be spot on.

I want to say THANKS to everyone that contributed to this thread. I just spent the last 2.5 days working my tail off on this car and I'm very happy with the results. I can barely move and I have a whole new appreciation for guys that do this for a living!

Outside of a couple RIDS that I need to go back and hit along with cleaning up the bright work, she looks great. This car was a true trial and error experiment and I appreciate all the feedback I got. This is a great example of why you must do a test panel. I think I went through 5 methods before I found the sweet spot combination.

(2) things really contributed to a lot of trouble however, this car has a soft CC and the towels were marring it and the problem was made worse when I did ISO wipedowns. I read on one of the forums how super soft clears didn't like even a 10% dilution and could actually soften the clean for the the second that it was put on. I have never seen this before, but did on this car. I could spritz, and wipe down even with Adam's towels and leave marks everywhere that had to be buffed back out. Live and learn I guess...

The final product mix ended up being the Orange MF pad, followed by the White Foam pad. The White MF pad just didn't finish down well enough. I worked the MF pad at 5.5 and finished with the White pad on 4 with single passes in both directions. Worked great and left no marring. Brilliant Glaze by hand, and then Wax application on the Flex which was a joy to work with.

Here's a pic, it's all washed out because I was stupid and left my flash on but didn't realize until I downloaded the picture.

20131201_115509_zpsc5fe2d06.jpg

Edited by cayenne