Customer Service 866.965.0400

which size pressure washer best for cars?

alenv10

Question

I will say...I have both a gas and electric PW and the MTM foam cannon...which I will be honest <was proven wrong by the Junkman>, I just go with the Gilmour SUDS gun 95% of the time because it's a PITA everytime to drag out the pressure washer.

My electric is a Clean Force 1800 PSI @ 1.5 GPM, and my gas is a Honda 3000 PSI @2.5 GPM.  There is no comparison between the two when it comes to foaming, the gas blows it away and produces the shaving cream like foam.  The electric, better than a Gilmour, but not the shaving cream like foam we all love.  My vehicles are just never dirty enough here in NorCal to warrant dragging the pressure washer out everytime.

I hate that Clean Force.  It's loud as hell when the pump/motor are running...and doesn't seem like it has that much more pressure than my garden hose on stream setting. 

Edited by 07RS4

For just cleaning 1400 to 1800 psi (the range the electrics run in) is fine.  For heavy duty, stripping decks, long distance cleaning, etc. you will appreciate a higher psi gas model.  

I get pretty good foam from my 1400 psi and realize water softness. amount of soap (use around 1:10 in bottle), settings, etc can affect results.   I do not see that much benefit from shaving cream foam except it is cool but the near shaving cream sticks long enough to do what it needs to do,   My "cleaning" soap combo is Adam's plus an all purpose cleaner. I just use straight soap and let it sit when doing a maintenance wash usually after a good pre-rinse.

I agree that getting the unit out and putting it away does add some time to the total process but you will find you use a LOT less water and generally safe with the fan spray setting.

Edited by Bunky

Under 2000 psi is fine and the key thing is: The HIGHER GPM is the best...... This way it "floats" away the dirt particles. I have two pressure washers that I use for the house, deck, and heavy equipment and I seldom bring them out to wash the cars.

Personally, I do not use a pressure washer on my cars because they do not get that dirty with mud, I use a Gilmour suds gun most of the time if I want suds.

BEWARE using a pressure washer on your car during the winter months to get rid of road salt because it will "push" the salt into hidden areas where it will sit and eat away at body parts....... And never use a PW on your engine.

Okay so i got one today, and was too excited. so i did a few things haha

It comes with a soap bucket thing so i tested that out.  its okay but deff not what i want.  ordering a foam canon tonight.  ANYONE HAVE LINKS TO A GOOD ONE? EVERYTHING I NEED WITH IT?

i also wanted to see the power so i put on a power nozzle and will be doing my entire driveway soon

post-10983-0-52559900-1384732621_thumb.jpg

post-10983-0-32955300-1384732625_thumb.jpg

post-10983-0-88913500-1384732662_thumb.jpg

post-10983-0-05577300-1384732668_thumb.jpg

Yes.  Buy this.  It comes with everything you need and will fit right into that QD.

MTM Hydro

And, if you are doing your driveway...trust me when I say you should buy THIS (maybe not the brand name, but you get the idea).  It cuts your work in half and are very efficient.

Edited by 07RS4

Ordered! cool. also ordered a gallon of shampoo haha

i think im also going to pick up a jumbo wash mitt, just to have an extra.  

do you guys think adams will have black friday deal going? i wasnt part of adams last year

Okay so i got one today, and was too excited. so i did a few things haha

It comes with a soap bucket thing so i tested that out.  its okay but deff not what i want.  ordering a foam canon tonight.  ANYONE HAVE LINKS TO A GOOD ONE? EVERYTHING I NEED WITH IT?

i also wanted to see the power so i put on a power nozzle and will be doing my entire driveway soon

I don't want to burst your bubble, but I guess you didn't read my thread on pressure washers?

I am a small engine mechanic and certified by BE Pressure as a Pressure Washer Technician. Sounds fancy eh? Well it isn't. LOL.

Homelite pressure washers are very difficult to get parts for. That is also a vertical shaft. The pump on those things is designed to last anywhere from 20 to 200 hours of use. We throw out those units like stale food at the shop I work in. Don't let the machine run more than 45 seconds without pulling the trigger. Water recycles in the pump manifold and heats up very fast. It takes out packing seals and o-rings like you wouldn't believe.

I can assure you that unit isn't putting out 2,700 PSI. They advertise that on the box to suck people in. If I put a gauge on that pump it would likely be putting out about 2,000 PSI. Why? First off, it is overrated, right out of the box. Second, that is a GCV160. It only makes 5.5 HP. It isn't physically possible to make 2,700 PSI with only 5.5 HP. That is gross HP to. In reality it is probably making 4 - 4.5 HP. It takes no less than 6.5HP to make 2,700 PSI, and even then that is REALLY stretching it, engine would be working like mad. Also, be careful. GCV series honda engines have a plastic timing gear in the cylinder head. This is almost always where they fail. That gear breaks and then the engine is toast. GCV motors are referred to in the business as "glue motors" The block is made up of 3 different pieces, all gooped together with gasket material. GCV Honda engines are also under scrutiny right now for being, more or less, fake. There are numerous factories in China pumping out GCV Honda engines that are nowhere near the kind of quality Honda themselves would make.

The only true, sure bet for a long lasting reliable engine is a GX honda. Any GX Honda, will run for years and years and years. The best pumps in the business are CAT and General. CAT pumps are uber expensive, and so are the parts. Be careful of some Ridgid pressure washers that come with CAT pumps. These were built specifically for Home Depot, and they are not true CAT pumps. When you phone CAT for a breakdown and parts, the model doesn't exist in their system.

Like I say, I don't want to burst your bubble, but I also wanted you to be informed about what you purchased.

My personal unit at home has a Honda GX200 6.5HP with a General pump, with an external unloader. It puts out 2,500 PSI at 3 GPM. GPM is more important than PSI. GPM is what truly get's the work done. I will post some pictures later to give you an idea.

Edited by LaserBlueSilverado

Sadly these El Homelite Power Washers are a throw away model after a few years of light usage.......... As you can see I tried to help out the OP by suggesting more GPM...... My suggestion to OP is: Maybe consider returning the Homelite and step up to a real PW.

YES! The Honda GX200 is a great investment that will last for years, if anyone is SERIOUSLY interested in buying a quality unit check it out...... You get what you pay for!

Another huge tip besides the GPM is to buy a pump that is rebuildable with available parts.

Personally, I do not use a pressure washer on my cars because they do not get that dirty with mud, I use a Gilmour suds gun most of the time if I want suds

First off excellent INFO in this thread regarding pressure washers...  It kind of reminds of the the "Made By John Deere" lawn mowers sold at Home Depot which are not the same quality as a real deal John Deere mower you get from a John Deere Dealership...

Is this a Gilmour Foamaster II that you speak of?  I have been reading these pressure washer threads thinking i need one along with the MTM Hydro but I see more and more people referring to this Gilmour product which I assume is being used with a regular water hose?

Edited by jtrade

I don't want to burst your bubble, but I guess you didn't read my thread on pressure washers?

I am a small engine mechanic and certified by BE Pressure as a Pressure Washer Technician. Sounds fancy eh? Well it isn't. LOL.

Homelite pressure washers are very difficult to get parts for. That is also a vertical shaft. The pump on those things is designed to last anywhere from 20 to 200 hours of use. We throw out those units like stale food at the shop I work in. Don't let the machine run more than 45 seconds without pulling the trigger. Water recycles in the pump manifold and heats up very fast. It takes out packing seals and o-rings like you wouldn't believe.

I can assure you that unit isn't putting out 2,700 PSI. They advertise that on the box to suck people in. If I put a gauge on that pump it would likely be putting out about 2,000 PSI. Why? First off, it is overrated, right out of the box. Second, that is a GCV160. It only makes 5.5 HP. It isn't physically possible to make 2,700 PSI with only 5.5 HP. That is gross HP to. In reality it is probably making 4 - 4.5 HP. It takes no less than 6.5HP to make 2,700 PSI, and even then that is REALLY stretching it, engine would be working like mad. Also, be careful. GCV series honda engines have a plastic timing gear in the cylinder head. This is almost always where they fail. That gear breaks and then the engine is toast. GCV motors are referred to in the business as "glue motors" The block is made up of 3 different pieces, all gooped together with gasket material. GCV Honda engines are also under scrutiny right now for being, more or less, fake. There are numerous factories in China pumping out GCV Honda engines that are nowhere near the kind of quality Honda themselves would make.

The only true, sure bet for a long lasting reliable engine is a GX honda. Any GX Honda, will run for years and years and years. The best pumps in the business are CAT and General. CAT pumps are uber expensive, and so are the parts. Be careful of some Ridgid pressure washers that come with CAT pumps. These were built specifically for Home Depot, and they are not true CAT pumps. When you phone CAT for a breakdown and parts, the model doesn't exist in their system.

Like I say, I don't want to burst your bubble, but I also wanted you to be informed about what you purchased.

My personal unit at home has a Honda GX200 6.5HP with a General pump, with an external unloader. It puts out 2,500 PSI at 3 GPM. GPM is more important than PSI. GPM is what truly get's the work done. I will post some pictures later to give you an idea.

Flipping amazing information here...I'm going to check my pump and what Honda engine I have when I get home...very curious now!

Gilmour = Hose (That's why I coined the term SUDS gun....that's not FOAM IMO)

MTM = Pressure Washer

Thanks I have one of those Mr Clean things with a filter that makes some suds (not impressive suds)  but the plastic quick disconnect sucks and sprays water everywhere...  I've had 2 of them over the many years (before learning anything about how to really wash a vehicle) and both were horrible regarding the plastic quick disconnects...  On a side note the Mr Clean thing does seem help using the spot free rinse setting which is really all i use it for these days...  May pickup one of these Gilmour things to see how it works since they dont cost much...

Edited by jtrade

In case you missed Chester's (LaserBlueSilverado) treatise on pressure washers here is the link - http://www.adamsforums.com/topic/24434-american-made-power-washer/?hl=washer&do=findComment&comment=389298.  It is great read for anyone thinking of buying a pressure washer.

Again Thanks Chester!!

In case you missed Chester's (LaserBlueSilverado) treatise on pressure washers here is the link - http://www.adamsforums.com/topic/24434-american-made-power-washer/?hl=washer&do=findComment&comment=389298.  It is great read for anyone thinking of buying a pressure washer.

Again Thanks Chester!!

Thanks for posting that, I was meaning to come back today and post a link to that thread.

I intend to start posting pictures in the next few months of the kind of pressure washer setups that would be good investments for people here. That way when spring comes, you guys can spend your money right, the first time.

Okay so Chester i have 20 days to return, I will go exchange it now thanks to you haha but what should i get?

i want to stay at no more than $350

not many options in the stores for pressure washers

Honestly, your budget doesn't fit with a quality unit.

For $350 you will not find anything like I have described. In that price range you are going to find nothing but disposable units. The Honda GX200 engine, by itself in a box, sells for almost $400.

If that is max budget I suggest just keeping what you have until it dies and simply get rid of it, or return it, and save more money until you can afford to purchase a higher end unit.

Honestly, your budget doesn't fit with a quality unit.

For $350 you will not find anything like I have described. In that price range you are going to find nothing but disposable units. The Honda GX200 engine, by itself in a box, sells for almost $400.

If that is max budget I suggest just keeping what you have until it dies and simply get rid of it, or return it, and save more money until you can afford to purchase a higher end unit.

would the generac 2700 be a slightly better unit?

if it lasts me a year or 2 i will be happy