Customer Service 866.965.0400

how do you remove cigar smell from the interior

goalddinn

Question

I just bought a used 2012 Camaro and the previous owner smoked  cigars in the car.  It smells so bad and I have tried to remove it with Fabreze with no luck.  Do you have any tips on how to clear this awful odor out of the cabin?

One thing to keep in mind is: was the heating and/or air conditioning set to recirculating while he was smoking? If it was then there's going to be residue in the duct work. (There are products specifically made for cleansing this.)

Also: does this vehicle have a cabin air filter? In which case you'll want to replace it.

This video may be helpful: http://www.ammonyc.com/detailing/ride-along-122-interior-smoke-removal/

Change Cabin filters, Clean the carpet over and over again, clean the dash and seats a few times, finally clean the headliner a few times.

I recommend using a Bissell ProHeat on the carpet and headliner. Mix it with Adams Carpet Cleaner and hot water. 

Jason great recommendations.  However, be cautious of hot water and a Bissel on the headliner...I've seen (not personnaly because I just spray and wipe) were the glue has disbonded in some cases.  Just something to be aware of, I'm not saying it will happen.

OP.  After changing your cabin filters, look up a product by 1Z called Klima Cleaner, I've heard good things. 

And I guess this would beg the question.  Why would you buy a vehicle that the previous owner smoked cigars in?  Killer deal?

Edited by 07RS4

Buy this!!!!
http://www.amazon.com/Auto-Shocker-ClO2-interior-eliminator/dp/B001H8VLFC/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1384691595&sr=8-2&keywords=auto+vaccine

Trust me, I bought an 08 Silverado that someone was a heavy smoker in and it was a steal of a price. so good that I would have lived with the smoke smell but the dealership gave me this.

You mix it up and leave it in the vehicle for a total of 2 hours. Some of it with the AC running on circulate so it gets in the vents, seats, belts, everywhere. It worked like a charm. I did one treatment and it was enough. They said sometimes it could take up to 2 treatments to fully remove it but I never needed it.

Give it a shot, it worked great for me and if I ever have to use one again thats the one it will be.

One thing to keep in mind is: was the heating and/or air conditioning set to recirculating while he was smoking? If it was then there's going to be residue in the duct work. (There are products specifically made for cleansing this.)

Also: does this vehicle have a cabin air filter? In which case you'll want to replace it.

This video may be helpful: http://www.ammonyc.com/detailing/ride-along-122-interior-smoke-removal/

Although this is an Adam's site, Larry's video is an excellent how to on this very issue. He will pretty much cover the broad strokes. His methods are good just use what ever products you feel comfortable with.

I have to do this very thing to a RAV 4 tomorrow for a client.

Here is my method. I understand you may not have all the professional-grade tools I have, but consumer-grade tools such as a Bissel Green Machine or McCullough Steamer can be found at Harbor Freight for about $250 all day.

-Vacuum.

-Thorough cleaning with Leather and Interior Cleaner 50/50 with water.

-Full-strength LIC for tougher spots.

-Finish off with Total Interior Detailer.

-Then I clean the headliner by hand (see Larry's video).

-Extract the carpet and upholstery using a light mist of 50/50 APC sprayed on the carpet agitated with a carpet brush.

-Steam areas of concern and where I could not reach.

-Apply leather conditioner to interior panels.

-Remove cabin air filter.

-Unleash a can of Ozium (available at many auto parts stores) with the doors closed, AC cranked on recirculate for 5-8 minutes. Don't be in the car when you do this and make sure the doors are unlocked. After 8 minutes open the doors and run for another 5 minutes.

-Install new cabin air filter.

Hope this helps

~Dave

Edited by dipolley

How effective do you think a consumer-grade (or perhaps a pro-sumer grade) air purifier inside the closed cabin for some period of time would be?

(E.g. the HEPA air purifier in my office also has UV and an ionizer--I wonder how effective it would be for this application?)

Another thing my brother did to remove his smoke smell was leave tupperware open with them filled with baking powder. it took some time, after about a months time, the smell was completely gone. his car can sit now for a week, and doesn't ever smell like smoke

However the entire cabin was permeated with the faint aroma of baked goods.

Lots of good (and bad) info in here. 

The key is to clean EVERYTHING first. If you don't eliminate the source of the odor all other measures aren't going to mean a thing. 

This means cleaning everything you can touch, and taking things apart to clean the areas you can't. 

Once thats done an ozone generator is just about the only 100% way to remove all odors from a car. 

Buy this!!!!

http://www.amazon.com/Auto-Shocker-ClO2-interior-eliminator/dp/B001H8VLFC/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1384691595&sr=8-2&keywords=auto+vaccine

Trust me, I bought an 08 Silverado that someone was a heavy smoker in and it was a steal of a price. so good that I would have lived with the smoke smell but the dealership gave me this.

You mix it up and leave it in the vehicle for a total of 2 hours. Some of it with the AC running on circulate so it gets in the vents, seats, belts, everywhere. It worked like a charm. I did one treatment and it was enough. They said sometimes it could take up to 2 treatments to fully remove it but I never needed it.

Give it a shot, it worked great for me and if I ever have to use one again thats the one it will be.

Ordered some to try.  have cleaned the seats and headliner and carpet as well as seat belts with Adams carpet shampoo then used Adams Leather cleaner and leather conditioner and it has improved but still there.  Hope this Chlorine Dioxide treatment works.  It didn't smell at the dealers but got real bad after it sat closed up at my home

Ordered some to try.  have cleaned the seats and headliner and carpet as well as seat belts with Adams carpet shampoo then used Adams Leather cleaner and leather conditioner and it has improved but still there.  Hope this Chlorine Dioxide treatment works.  It didn't smell at the dealers but got real bad after it sat closed up at my home

Let me know how it works! I know it kicked butt when I used it. It used to be called auto shock but this company bought it. Fingers crossed it works the same for you! Report back to let me know if it still works like it used to, so I know whether to recommend it still or not! Thanks!

Just be sure to run the a/c when it instructs you to and for as long as it tells you to on circulate.

I'm a regular cigar smoker in my DD, 4-5 per week minimum! The only time I have one is when I'm driving, I drive a lot for work....stressful job, new baby, 4 yr old, sexy wife, etc. I smoke just a few cigars. I try to clean the interior once every two weeks. Dirt, grime, cigar ash, stink, it can get pretty bad and smell terrible the following day. Adam's products are the best. And I've removed the stink with Adam's. My experience is... Remove all junk from the car, vacuum, apply carpet and upholstery cleaner, leather conditioner, leave the windows down a to allow the car to breathe for a couple hours. Follow up with total interior cleaner. Once I've done the TID, I roll the windows back up and leave a half cup of TID in the cup holder over night. The bad smell is always gone.

Did a smoker car today, did 2 passes with my Bissell Proheat w/ Adam C&UC to the seats, headlines and carpet and noticed a pretty big difference while I was driving it back to her. Could still smell it but I wasn't trying to get rid of the smell since it would come right back anyways after she got the car back but I mean it does work.

Like mentioned before you have to get it completely cleaned first. Then if you still notice the smoker smell and don't have access to a Ozone generator, pour some vinegar into Tupperware containers place on the floor mats (where the foot setting won't blow it out) remove the cabin airfilter, turn the car on crank the heat, put it on the floor setting with reticulate and let it run for awhile. The vinegar will break down the chemical bonds that causes the smokey smell in your air ducts, obviously dont get directly in your car after its been running with the vinegar cups, open both passenger and drivers doors then remove the cups (don't spill them or it will go from smokey smell to vinegar smell :lol: ) roll the windows down and leave the heat on a little longer.