Customer Service 866.965.0400

Strip Washing Before Quick Sealant ?s

scott750

Question

So I was doing some searching and read the sticky above about strip washing, but still have some questions. I apologize if this has been already beaten to death, but I'm still a noob at detailing and still learning. :)

So I was going to do my full detail this weekend:wash, clay bar, Revive polish and quick sealant, But I forgot to add APC or Dawn to my wash bucket for a strip wash. Looking through the sticky above for strip washing, it says I "could" use my clay bar or reduced IPA as an alternative. I have both products at home. If you had the choice, which one would be better for the whole vehicle?

My last detail was the same as above, but I used Americana instead of Quick Sealant. That was done probably 4-6 months ago.

5 answers to this question

Scott.

The strip wash in this case wasn't needed, so don't worry.   :blink:  

Six months ago you used Americana, so if there was any left at all your claying took care of it. 

If you had the choice, which one would be better for the whole vehicle?

Between claying and IPA?  Clay when needed, IPA is easy and affective (depending on what the LSP is).  I use an IPA substitute.

Does that answer your question?  :D 

IPA.  I really don't think a clay bar will remove everything.  However, keep in mind IPA is not very slick so be careful not to cause swirl marks.  I wonder if WW can be added to IPA.

Edited by SYMAWD

Stripping wax is not required on any detail it just makes it easier in some cases. Stripe washing is kind of hard on cars in some ways. It can dry out plastic and it can get locked into cracks and take off wax while washing in the future. I stopped doing strip washes when I got my new truck and just used the clay. When stuff was really tough I would use 50/50 Water and Isopropyl Alcohol. 

The IPA that I have is 70%. The sticky above said to cut it down more with water 1:1. Is that still the case?

So I have to clay bar the vehicle anyway. I can feel just a little bit of surface contaminants. Is there a way to "feel" if the paint is prepped for Quick Sealant after clay bar or IPA? I'd rather not have to do IPA if I dont have to. Even though my paint still beads water, do you think most of the Americana is gone?

Also I read where people have been applying 2 coats of Quick Sealant. If the paint has to be ultra clean and free of anything for the 1st coat to stick, how do does the 2nd coat stick to itself?

The IPA that I have is 70%. The sticky above said to cut it down more with water 1:1. Is that still the case?

So I have to clay bar the vehicle anyway. I can feel just a little bit of surface contaminants. Is there a way to "feel" if the paint is prepped for Quick Sealant after clay bar or IPA? I'd rather not have to do IPA if I dont have to. Even though my paint still beads water, do you think most of the Americana is gone?

Yes, dilute the 70% IPA 1:1 with water - distilled water if it is available.  A very high concentration of IPA may cause issues with some paints/clear coats, so better safe than sorry.

I am not sure you can 'feel' the paint is ready.  I would try putting some water on before you do the clay and IPA wipedown, then try the water again after and you should see a difference in the beading on the paint.