Customer Service 866.965.0400

Wash water temps?

Numbr3t

Question

I recently had hot & cold softened water ran to my garage for the obvious. I typically use americana as my LSP. I would have to check my water heater for an exact temp but, what is a safe temp of water to use that wont break down our sealant, glaze and wax?

For rinsing/washing I will use hot water that is comfortable on my hands but still hot. Will that strip my products right off? Thanks for the help.

10 answers to this question

I recently had hot & cold softened water ran to my garage for the obvious. I typically use americana as my LSP. I would have to check my water heater for an exact temp but, what is a safe temp of water to use that wont break down our sealant, glaze and wax?

For rinsing/washing I will use hot water that is comfortable on my hands but still hot. Will that strip my products right off? Thanks for the help.

I don't know if that really matters a lot.  Look at how how hot your car gets on a summer day.  I have a similar set up to what your describing and just wash mine at what temp feel comfortable to me.  Your water temp setting on your water heater doesn't need adjustment.  Just adjust it at the hose bib.  Not sure why you would need it "hot", warm would be ideal IMO.

I should say however having a water heater cranked way up and not connecting a hose to it annually and draining off the sediment in the bottom is going to shorten the life span of your water heater.

Edited by LFairbanks

Typically takes a surface temp of somewhere between 120-160 to start to cause car wax to degrade, so you'd have to be working with some SERIOUSLY hot water for this to be an issue. That being said you don't want to shock the panels of your car with extreme temps either. 

Had a friend shatter his glass using a hot water hookup in his garage on a very cold winter morning... the extreme temp shift caused the glass to break on his truck. 

I don't think any of us have "Hot water" hose bibs, i.e. water straight out of the boiler, there is probably a mixing valve in between the feed line and the spigot which makes it warm, not hot, but is adjustable.  I may be in the minority bc I have a tankless boiler, but I have my plumber coming in spring to do the replacement of my 2 spigots on the house (1 is in backyard, the other is next to driveway and is my washing spitgot) so he is most likely running me a warm water feed so I can wash when the temps are colder out with ease.

I don't think any of us have "Hot water" hose bibs, i.e. water straight out of the boiler, there is probably a mixing valve in between the feed line and the spigot which makes it warm, not hot, but is adjustable.  I may be in the minority bc I have a tankless boiler, but I have my plumber coming in spring to do the replacement of my 2 spigots on the house (1 is in backyard, the other is next to driveway and is my washing spitgot) so he is most likely running me a warm water feed so I can wash when the temps are colder out with ease.

Huh???  I know I can get mine as hot as I have the water heater turned up to.  I do have a mixing valve to where I can run straight hot, or straight cold right where the hose connects.  Or anything in between.  Nothing between my water heater and the hose bib except for the Manabloc. Which is just a distribution network.

I'm not a plumber so not sure how my guy is planning the install, he will definitely let me know what the most effective/cost effective option is.  My water definitely can get HOT like unbearable can't get in the bathtub hot so I will def dial it down some (don't want to break windows lol).

I'm not a plumber so not sure how my guy is planning the install, he will definitely let me know what the most effective/cost effective option is.  My water definitely can get HOT like unbearable can't get in the bathtub hot so I will def dial it down some (don't want to break windows lol).

Probably with something like this.

http://www.amazon.com/Woodford-22CP-12-MH-Frostfree-Horizontal-Mount-Faucet/dp/B001R2CXLY