Customer Service 866.965.0400

New Porsche Crossover...Thoughts?

THE Mook

I like it!  I am a Porsche fan though.  It stems back to me growing up with them.  They are a truly awesome car.

I DO wish they'd think outside the box with their design and try not to make everything resemble the 911.  While I LOVE the 911, I also like variety. 

I don't like the idea of a Porsche SUV, though I understand the business case for it. I'm sure it's a fine vehicle, but if I'm in the market for a Porsche I'm thinking sports car, and if I want an SUV I'd look somewhere else.

I was on board with you when both the Panamera and the Cayenne were released.  Porsche is a sports car company, they shouldn't be doing saloons or SUVs.  Then I had a loaner Panamera for a bit while my car was in the shop.  Fantastic to drive and I want one now if I was to get a saloon (although the Model S is tempting me too :)).  

Then my dealership recently got a few Cayennes for loaners and I got one for my last service.  Best SUV I've driven or rode in.  The thing was surprisingly agile and quick for an SUV.  One of the days it was raining which means slick roads here in the desert.  It was very sure footed and felt almost like normal conditions.  I was impressed with it.  If I needed to get an SUV it would be my number 1 choice now.  I wouldn't have said that before driving it.  Even though it's not a sports car, Porsche it right and made a great SUV.  

Should compete very well with the Audi Q crossover... I like the look, but until I see it in person and get a better feel for the size its hard to say for sure. 

I agree.  I usually have to see a vehicle first before deciding if I like it or not.  Not many vehicles I can think of look bad in a staged, rolling shot like that with professional photographers.  Just sayin. 

It's a Porche however, I'm sure it will be top notch and classy looking.

If this is around the same size as the X3 or close...should be really sexy in person!   Apples to oranges I know, but the two "what do you think" threads about new cars on the forum the last couple days...I'd take this over that Colorado!

Should compete very well with the Audi Q crossover... I like the look, but until I see it in person and get a better feel for the size its hard to say for sure. 

Will the Porsche share any DNA with the Audi, or do the VW overlords keep the brands separate?

Something tells me there are 2 separate buyers.  For starter's the Q5 is cheaper.

Will the Porsche share any DNA with the Audi, or do the VW overlords keep the brands separate?

It will probably share some.  The VW Touareg and the Porsche Cayenne share some DNA.

Personally, I think the back end of this thing is a disaster.  I also doubt it will be anything special to drive.  Then again, I'm also not a huge Porsche fan. They drive great but I don't feel like I am in anything special when driving them.  

Already announced that it will have the VAG 2.0 TSI engine as an option.

Something tells me there are 2 separate buyers.  For starter's the Q5 is cheaper.

It will probably share some.  The VW Touareg and the Porsche Cayenne share some DNA.

Personally, I think the back end of this thing is a disaster.  I also doubt it will be anything special to drive.  Then again, I'm also not a huge Porsche fan. They drive great but I don't feel like I am in anything special when driving them.  

Touareg/Q7/Cayanne are all the same chassis with the same base engine (3.2/3.6 VR6 depending on the year). I'd venture to say they share more than some DNA. They are pretty much the same cars.

Doing a bit of digging it looks like the Macan is based on the same platform as the Q5/Audi A4, etc.

I was on board with you when both the Panamera and the Cayenne were released.  Porsche is a sports car company, they shouldn't be doing saloons or SUVs.  Then I had a loaner Panamera for a bit while my car was in the shop.  Fantastic to drive and I want one now if I was to get a saloon (although the Model S is tempting me too :)).  

Then my dealership recently got a few Cayennes for loaners and I got one for my last service.  Best SUV I've driven or rode in.  The thing was surprisingly agile and quick for an SUV.  One of the days it was raining which means slick roads here in the desert.  It was very sure footed and felt almost like normal conditions.  I was impressed with it.  If I needed to get an SUV it would be my number 1 choice now.  I wouldn't have said that before driving it.  Even though it's not a sports car, Porsche it right and made a great SUV.  

Yes, before you poo poo the idea of a Porsche SUV, you should drive a Cayenne S.  Forget the V6 base model.....it can barely get out of it's own way.....hopefully, the new little guy will be pretty peppy....but the V8 S, or better yet, the GTS and Turbo variants are nothing short of amazing.  Although it's a monster for weight and if you run summer compound tires like I do, you'll need a separate bank account for replacing tires, but the trade off is running some Blizzaks in winter.......now you've got what amounts to an AWD 911 that sits up high and is virtually unstoppable.   My wife drove another luxury SUV the other day and came back to tell me how "spoiled" she is with the Cayenne as a daily driver.  She also loves the Panamera......speaking of needing another bank account......

- Darryl

I don't like the idea of a Porsche SUV, though I understand the business case for it. I'm sure it's a fine vehicle, but if I'm in the market for a Porsche I'm thinking sports car, and if I want an SUV I'd look somewhere else.

+1!  :cheers:

hopefully, the new little guy will be pretty peppy....

- Darryl

If one of the write-ups I read (think car and driver) is correct, it's very peppy.  They had the S listed at either 5.1 or 5.2 sec 0-60 and the Turbo at 4.6 seconds.  Those numbers honestly sound too quick for me, especially with the way Porsche reports their times.  So I'm taking them with a grain of salt until I see something official on it.