Customer Service 866.965.0400

Toolbox: Wrinkle-finish paint & rusted latches

Nevada Smith

Question

A friend's wife got him a tool chest so he gave me his 30 year old, all metal, wrinkle finish paint toolbox with Hawaiian-rust hardware.

I'd like to restore the wrinkle paint to its former shine; can this be polished? If not then should I apply a sealant and/or wax to make it shine? (Some of the paint's former glory is visible on the areas under the hasp, and where the lock was.) Zoom-in to see the wrinkle finish.

IMG_7253.JPG

While I like the patina and am willing to keep the hardware as-is, what are some ways to address this particular rust removal (or at least reduce it)?

IMG_7255.JPG

IMG_7256.JPG

3 answers to this question

It should be a unique and fun cleaning project. That hardware is pretty rusty, but will come back some. On the wrinkle / hammertone paints I would just clean thoroughly with APC, then use In&Out. I've done that on dark colors, never white, but it should work.

Bruce

Try a test spot with a drill or PC if you want to keep the original paint, you'll get a pretty quick idea how it will turn out. Also, try a test spot with both wax and the QS.

The latches, I would drill out the rivets and use a cabinet blaster to remove the rust, and repaint chrome, and then clear.

If you don't want the original paint, blast it all off and repaint it, lol.