Customer Service 866.965.0400

Best Way To Clean Chrome Wheels

austinlord13

Question

I wash my truck weekly. And I'm going to be purchasing my second set of chrome wheels. On the last set, I used mainly Car Shampoo with a wash mitt and a boars hair brush. But I am wanting to know if Deep Wheel Cleaner or Green Wheel Cleaner is safe to use on chrome wheels? And which one would be best?

I plan on just using the Boars Hair Brush with Deep Wheel Cleaner if that is safe.

And btw these wheels are pure chrome with NO clear coat.

So share with me your best and easiest way to keep your chrome wheels shining and clean!

And also can someone tell me how to create thicker and better suds when using Car Shampoo when washing the truck? And how do I keep more suds in the bucket during the wash?

Thanks in Advance!

7 answers to this question

I think either are fine for your wheels based on the product descriptions...  When In doubt I would go with the Green Wheel Cleaner...  I plan on picking up some deep wheel cleaner especially since i just saw it will remove Iron Particles from paint as I have some I think on my trunk...   I hope it will be on sale for Black Friday!

Im kinda still learning tho so if Im wrong someone please knock me over the head...

Edited by jtrade

I agree, both should be safe for your chrome wheels...as chrome wheel specific cleaners are generally more aggresive than regular cleaners.  Chrome can take some heavy duty cleaners...bare aluminum wheels are the ones you have to be really careful about. 

And also can someone tell me how to create thicker and better suds when using Car Shampoo when washing the truck? And how do I keep more suds in the bucket during the wash?

What's your process?  What are you not happy with?

I agree, both should be safe for your chrome wheels...as chrome wheel specific cleaners are generally more aggresive than regular cleaners.  Chrome can take some heavy duty cleaners...bare aluminum wheels are the ones you have to be really careful about. 

What's your process?  What are you not happy with?

Well it seems like im not getting many suds at all. First I put the wash mitt in the bucket, then pour a few ounces of CS on the pad, Then fill the bucket to about 3 gallons of water. And by the time I get to the other side of the truck its like i have no suds at all.

Well it seems like im not getting many suds at all. First I put the wash mitt in the bucket, then pour a few ounces of CS on the pad, Then fill the bucket to about 3 gallons of water. And by the time I get to the other side of the truck its like i have no suds at all.

Do you have the wool mitt, or the wash pad?  IMO experience I get alot more suds when using the pads.  I do the same thing, get my 2 buckets ready.  Put the pad/mitt in the water for about 10 minutes, then wring it out and add about 2 oz to the media, and then 2 to the bucket.  When I'm ready to begin 2BM, agitate with a stream of water.  You can re-agitate the water throught the detail, I personally don't do it because I feel it stirs the contaminents up.  I also use two grit guards, offset, in each bucket.

Now yesterday, I experimented with a 2 rinse bucket method....and just foamed as I went.  I foamed the panels I was on, and foamed the media.  It went rather well...except I need to find a holder for my foam gun because it got annoying with no place to put it.

It has been said that the quality/slickness of the car shampoo is the important factor...suds just make us all feel better, lol.  Whatever the theory...minor tweeks to your routine and you will be all set!

Is it "hard water?" I ask because "In domestic settings, hard water is often indicated by a lack of suds formation when soap is agitated in water, ..."

(Hopefully it's not heavy water!)

Edited by Nevada Smith

... I need to find a holder for my foam gun because it got annoying with no place to put it.

Are you referring to the lance of the pressure washer, or the Gilmor?

How about making a fixture to hold "it", and attach the fixture to one of the buckets? For the lance it could be as simple as a section of PVC pipe. For the Gilmor, a right-angle galvanized plate with a slot cut into it (e.g. a Simpson brand metal tie from a home improvement store).

Do you have the wool mitt, or the wash pad?  IMO experience I get alot more suds when using the pads.  I do the same thing, get my 2 buckets ready.  Put the pad/mitt in the water for about 10 minutes, then wring it out and add about 2 oz to the media, and then 2 to the bucket.  When I'm ready to begin 2BM, agitate with a stream of water.  You can re-agitate the water throught the detail, I personally don't do it because I feel it stirs the contaminents up.  I also use two grit guards, offset, in each bucket.

Now yesterday, I experimented with a 2 rinse bucket method....and just foamed as I went.  I foamed the panels I was on, and foamed the media.  It went rather well...except I need to find a holder for my foam gun because it got annoying with no place to put it.

It has been said that the quality/slickness of the car shampoo is the important factor...suds just make us all feel better, lol.  Whatever the theory...minor tweeks to your routine and you will be all set!

I use 2 wash pads. And Thanks I'll try to use some of thos methods and maybe I'll purchase a foam gun someday.

Is it "hard water?" I ask because "In domestic settings, hard water is often indicated by a lack of suds formation when soap is agitated in water, ..."

(Hopefully it's not heavy water!)

What do you mean by "hard water?"