Customer Service 866.965.0400

Leather Conditioner

FXR500

Question

You know, I think this has to be my favorite product. No matter how crappy the weather is, a clean (and crisp smelling) interior puts a smile on my face. I find myself putting a quick swipe of leather conditioner on a clean interior just to bump the scent up a little bit. Am I the only one?

I love the Leather Conditioner smell, as do the vast majority of folks who look inside my car at shows.  I've lost count of the number of "It still has the new leather smell..." comments I've received.

I'm with SYMAWD on Americana - It's one of the only Adam's products I don't like the smell of.  Thankfully, it performs better than it smells (to some of us anyway)....

Chocoholic you're not alone, I've been using the Einszett leather (Lederpledge) product for almost 4 years now, and perfectly happy with it so this is a case where I haven't had experience with an Adam's product to give my impression, but the product I do use for conditioning leather works so well that I haven't had a need for leather conditioner.

When my current product runs out I will give it a try but I must say I like that the product I use has a gender neutral scent (since my interior detailer has a fresh citrus smell), and I also like to use a few spritzes of original scent Ozium as an air freshener when I am done with my interior cleaning, which has a lemon-y smell to it.  Not sure if adding the new leather scent from the Adam's Conditioner would overwhelm the scents in a clean interior.  If someone has a basically empty bottle and wants to lend me a sample to try in my wife's car I'll give it a shot someday but my current Leather conditioner works well for now. 

I'll prob see it in action in an Adam's event one of these days and then I know if I'll ever want to switch.

Hey Jason,

I would definitely love to see a comparison shot once you have some Adam's conditioner (pm'ed or emailed for obvious reasons).

Here is mine.  Adam's on the driver seat and console and the leading car store brand (previous owner.. paid a detailer for years with these products) on the passenger seat.

post-11488-0-70883800-1394428534_thumb.jpg

Gotta love Adam's leather conditioner.  I even say it outperforms the dealership recommended "high-end" leather conditioner.  (from personal experience)

Hey Chris, I'll do you one better, and I think this is within the forum rules:

If anyone wants to let about 1-2 oz at most go, I can do a side to side comparison showing the difference between Adam's Leather Conditioner and the 1Z Lederpledge that I currently use.

-I will deep clean the seats first with plastic/interior cleaner

-I will use a clean but same style applicator for each application to avoid cross contaminating

-I will rub in and wipe down any residues with a clean MF towel

Now I do have to say, its hard to do a leather comparison to say "one leather conditioner does all" because some conditioners are made for coated leather, and some excel in uncoated leather.  Correct me if I'm wrong but is Camaro/Corvette leather Napa (uncoated?).  The product I'm going to do the comparison with, specifically is made for coated leather and says on the bottle it is not for use with uncoated leather.

Someone will have to let me know about that, I'm sure Adam's Conditioner is a multi-use product, but it is worth noting that some conditioners might work better on certain leathers than others.

I will say the pluses about the product I'm using on my leather seats is quite different in a few ways than Adam's conditioner, all in ways which I prefer, but some here may not, and that is ok, that is why we discuss.

The product I'm using:

-Finishes down perfectly matte, advertised as "factory new finish", without any shine whatsoever when dry and rubbed in (Adam's tends to be more of a satin matte, I prefer the seats to be protected with no shine, just refreshed color and supple to touch)

-Has a neutral leather cream scent, the bottle actually says it has a mild lavender scent (Adam's = new leather smell)

-Is made for coated leather (Not Napa, etc, like I mentioned above, Adam's does seem to be multi-surface which is a plus)

-I do not use this on my door plastics, dash, etc.  I use an Interior Cockpit spray from the same brand which has the sun protectants I want and is similar to TID, but I have no need to condition my door/dash plastics, again, because I prefer to have zero shine in the interior (my interior mantra is "Clean, with no aftertaste)

I just did my wife's seats yesterday with the product I use, if anyone wants to donate about 1-2 oz of product so I can do a side by side and snap some pics please feel free to let me know.

And not to get off on a tangent but if anyone has any questions about my interior regimen please be respectful to the team and send it via PM, I'm all about supporting Adam's here and as Adam himself said, even he has products from other brands on his shelf.  I've said it once and I've said it again, some non-Adams things I use follow the saying "if its not broke dont fix it", and although 70% of my shelf is Adam's products, I don't use everything nor do I have a need to use everything made.  Brilliant Glaze is a prime example, its not for me but I support the team that makes it, appreciate the product for what it is, and I love hearing people's positive impressions when using it.

Hey Chris, I'll do you one better, and I think this is within the forum rules:

If anyone wants to let about 1-2 oz at most go, I can do a side to side comparison showing the difference between Adam's Leather Conditioner and the 1Z Lederpledge that I currently use.

-I will deep clean the seats first with plastic/interior cleaner

-I will use a clean but same style applicator for each application to avoid cross contaminating

-I will rub in and wipe down any residues with a clean MF towel

Now I do have to say, its hard to do a leather comparison to say "one leather conditioner does all" because some conditioners are made for coated leather, and some excel in uncoated leather.  Correct me if I'm wrong but is Camaro/Corvette leather Napa (uncoated?).  The product I'm going to do the comparison with, specifically is made for coated leather and says on the bottle it is not for use with uncoated leather.

Someone will have to let me know about that, I'm sure Adam's Conditioner is a multi-use product, but it is worth noting that some conditioners might work better on certain leathers than others.

I will say the pluses about the product I'm using on my leather seats is quite different in a few ways than Adam's conditioner, all in ways which I prefer, but some here may not, and that is ok, that is why we discuss.

The product I'm using:

-Finishes down perfectly matte, advertised as "factory new finish", without any shine whatsoever when dry and rubbed in (Adam's tends to be more of a satin matte, I prefer the seats to be protected with no shine, just refreshed color and supple to touch)

-Has a neutral leather cream scent, the bottle actually says it has a mild lavender scent (Adam's = new leather smell)

-Is made for coated leather (Not Napa, etc, like I mentioned above, Adam's does seem to be multi-surface which is a plus)

-I do not use this on my door plastics, dash, etc.  I use an Interior Cockpit spray from the same brand which has the sun protectants I want and is similar to TID, but I have no need to condition my door/dash plastics, again, because I prefer to have zero shine in the interior (my interior mantra is "Clean, with no aftertaste)

I just did my wife's seats yesterday with the product I use, if anyone wants to donate about 1-2 oz of product so I can do a side by side and snap some pics please feel free to let me know.

And not to get off on a tangent but if anyone has any questions about my interior regimen please be respectful to the team and send it via PM, I'm all about supporting Adam's here and as Adam himself said, even he has products from other brands on his shelf.  I've said it once and I've said it again, some non-Adams things I use follow the saying "if its not broke dont fix it", and although 70% of my shelf is Adam's products, I don't use everything nor do I have a need to use everything made.  Brilliant Glaze is a prime example, its not for me but I support the team that makes it, appreciate the product for what it is, and I love hearing people's positive impressions when using it.

Any update?

Hate the smell of Americana, but the ease of application and removal all but make up for that.  As much as detail spray and the like have a nice smell while using it, the only place where smell REALLY matters to me, is inside the car.  The place where I am for 1.5-2hrs a day.

I LOVE the conditioner smell as well.  I keep a dry MF towel in the map net behind the passenger seat to quickly hit any dust that falls on the dash and console.  Keeps it looking mint for weeks!

I'll be cleaning my interior out this weekend and posting my impressions and a side by side with the current product I use on my leather.

I have enough to do all 4 seats of my X5 so I will do all of them except the one front seat, so I can properly take pics with the other product, then I will use Deep plastic cleaner to clean the other product off, and do the last seat with Leather Conditioner.

So even if I like my other product better I'll have a few weeks of Adam's protected seats......

...Or perhaps this will convert me completely and I will be using it from now on!

OK well I used the Leather Conditioner this weekend, thanks mtnbiker326 (Chris) for the sample!  I also am stumped we can't upload pics to the forum from the iPhone?  I usually upload my pics on other forums using Tapatalk, no bother, Chris, if you want some photos of the side by side just shoot me a PM and I'll email some to you.

The long and short is, I do like the Leather Conditioner, not sure if I like it more than Lederpledge, but I do like it.  I wouldn't use it on the door panels/dash though (personal opinion), as the satin finish it leaves is not for me on anything but the seats, leather boots, etc.  The black leather in my X5 looks great though, very nice finish.  I cleaned my seats with a Deep Plastic Cleaner first to be sure of a clean application surface, and applied with an MF applicator.  Initially, it felt like it might dry a bit greasy, but I'm pleased to report it is a dry finish! 

The smell?  It smells like new leather, I like it!  My wife is not the biggest fan for some reason though, I had her smell it yesterday, she prefers the fresh lavender scent of Lederpledge.

A little bit goes a long way as well, mtnbiker326 sent me about 2-3 oz of a sample in a Trial size Wal-Mart bottle, and I did the 5 seats in my X5 twice to be sure of even coverage after deep cleaning, the shift boot and the E-brake boot, as well as the leather pieces on the door panels, and still had about .5 oz left when done!

When I did one seat with Lederpledge and the other seat with Adam's, the ONLY honest noticeable differences to me are the scents used in the product, and the slight satin finish (a bit deeper black) that the Adam's gives, the Lederpledge is more of a matte finish without shine.  However, both seats dried to a non-greasy feel, and both seats were supple and felt protected to the touch.

All in all, Adam's Leather Conditioner works as well or better than any conditioner in the market in my opinion, if you do like a complete matte finished seat and/or can't stand the leather smell, then the Lederpledge would be your choice.

Would I buy a bottle of Adam's Conditioner for myself after using the sample!  Absolutely!  However, I'm waiting on the wife's verdict when she rides in my car this week, if she likes the finish and the scent after it has dried, since I use my current leather product on both our vehicles.

VERDICT:  It all comes down to the scent you like, and whether you want a touch of satin finish, or a matte, no-gloss finish.  A great offering from Adam's, even if you are like me and would prefer to use something like this only on your leather seats/surfaces.  I use the equivalent of a Total Interior Detailer for all my interior plastic surfaces for upkeep and protection.

Jason, you can't upload with the mobile app.  Scroll down and hit "full version" and then you can.  

I like the matte finish and scent of LC, and the SPF 60 is nice as well.  I don't like floral scents in my vehicles.  I get sick of them in a HURRY! 

Ok so explanation of the pics as this is confusing to some, and I'm sorry it was in sunlight.

The pic with my MF applicator on my passenger seat is one quick wipe down with Lederpledge.

The other 3 pics are after I dressed the other seat with Adams, then strip cleaned the other side and did them both together.

You'll notice slightly less black on the first shot as Lederpledge is more matte, as opposed to the slight Satin of Adams. Hope that helps!

EDIT:  All these pics (one was uploaded twice) are the seats treated with Adam's Conditioner (1 application, I went back and did a second application afterwards), the pic with my seat treated with Einzsett Lederpledge is below.

post-11330-0-82992900-1396901878_thumb.jpg

post-11330-0-73076500-1396901908_thumb.jpg

post-11330-0-00385400-1396901932_thumb.jpg

post-11330-0-68366300-1396901958_thumb.jpg

Edited by Ricky Bobby

I've read that before and it might work on seats that are in real need of it, I apply my conditioners with the MF applicator as you see and it helps a little go a long way for me.

I usually do 2 wipe downs on the seats, I go around once, then start at the beginning seat and do a second round, and wipe any extra residue off with an all purpose MF towel.  Probably about every 2-3 months I do that.

In my practices I never really saturate the surface and leave standing product on it, unless the seats/surface has not been treated in a long time (lets say a couple years), if regularly maintained you really shouldn't be needing that much product in my opinion, finished leather has a plastic coating and the conditioner can only penetrate so far, make sense?

If you have analine (unfinished) leather in your vehicle then leaving product on to settle in makes sense to me.

I put LC on with my hands and leave it on VERY thick and let it soak in.  After a day or two I level it off with a dry MF towel. 

I apply it straight to the seat or surface itself and then work it in.  Just "pour" it right on.  Now, my seats in the pics on page one in the BMW were never truly treated properly (protection or cleaning wise).  I had to have 3 sessions of 3 coats each (just caked on the surface to absorb).  I finally brought the chairs back to 85-90% original luster.  Still working on getting that extra 10%.

I've read that before and it might work on seats that are in real need of it, I apply my conditioners with the MF applicator as you see and it helps a little go a long way for me.

I usually do 2 wipe downs on the seats, I go around once, then start at the beginning seat and do a second round, and wipe any extra residue off with an all purpose MF towel.  Probably about every 2-3 months I do that.

In my practices I never really saturate the surface and leave standing product on it, unless the seats/surface has not been treated in a long time (lets say a couple years), if regularly maintained you really shouldn't be needing that much product in my opinion, finished leather has a plastic coating and the conditioner can only penetrate so far, make sense?

If you have analine (unfinished) leather in your vehicle then leaving product on to settle in makes sense to me.

I agree.  Now that they are closer to where I want them, the seats will be treated every month or two.  New Mexico is HARSH on any interior surface, heat, more radiation as we are over a mile high and massive dirty/dust in the air all the time.

Personally I like the satin (sheen) finish the Adam's product provides.  Just ups the "class" of the leather (for my sport seats at least).  If I were to use this (which I will) on my old jeep's tan leather, I may prefer a more matte finish.  Either way, they will be protected as well.

Thanks Ricky Bobby (Jason) for the write up and follow up.  Glad everything went smoothly and you were able to do a "complete" trial of the product in your X5.   :2thumbs:

Let me know if there is anything else I can help with.   :banana:

Edited by mtnbiker326

I absolutely apply it with my hands when I'm putting the Vette away for the winter. I want a good coat on it when it's covered and stored. Then when I uncover it in the spring, I'll wipe it down real well to remove any residue.  But I use leather conditioner with a microfiber towel on the Cadillac seats about once a month or six weeks. They don't get real dirty, so the leather conditioner cleans them well enough in addition to treating them.

I've used a LOT of different products over the years. I'll stick with the Adam's. Paying more or paying less doesn't mean another product is better or worse. I've used lots of stuff and made up my own mind about the Adam's.

Haven't found anything that works any better at any price.

I will say this, I don't nearly apply as heavy as Chewy, but after the conditioner sits on the leather overnight, the shine DOES kick down to a normal, matte finish level for me (when applied on an applicator as opposed to above)

However, first drive my wife was not too pleased with the scent compared to the "other" leather conditioner I have.  She said its ok but it smelled slightly fake.  I really like the Adam's conditioner a lot and liked it even more when it sat overnight and the slight satin finish it left was subsided to a more normal matte finish level for me.

Wife's nose wins though, I'm going to have to stick with what I have for the time being.  I don't use that much conditioner to justify my own bottle of product lol.

I used a half bottle on my front and rear seats yesterday.  I'm now out and need to order more for the rest of the car.  lol 

The picture above was ONLY it sitting.  I never touched it.  I really do like the smell.  It's going to come off fake, but so will any scent compared to the real thing IMO.  It's all what your nose prefers.  

WOW.

I was sent a 2.5 oz. sample and did my front/rear seats in my X5 TWICE with the sample bottle LMAO!

Like I said, I think it smells AWESOME!  Reminds me of my grandfather's leather chairs, sans the cigar smell (although that was nice too in its own way, prob cuz I'm a cigar man myself now).  However, when the wife compared it to the other bottle on the shelf, she prefers the smell of the other brand, they do both finish quite similarly in my opinion, with the Adam's conditioner a touch more shine, but when dried and sat overnight its very negligible.

All in all like I said I think the Adam's Conditioner for the price and size of the bottle is the best on the market by far!  $25 for 16 oz = $1.56 per oz.    The 1Z Einszett Lederpledge I use is $16 for 8.5 oz bottle, so price per ounce is $1.89.  And like I said, Einszett specifically says not for use on unfinished leathers, however, I believe most automotive leathers are finished.