Customer Service 866.965.0400

Updated Trim & Lug Brush vs Old Version

The newer version has been out for quite some time now.  For anyone that has used the old version (wood handle), what are your thoughts versus the new one?  Pro's and Con's? 

I've seen a bunch of places carry the plastic handled one, but I would prefer the old style when it's time to replace mine, unless the new style is all that much better.  Luckily, both of mine have been hanging on strong for 2 years now. 

They are dyed boar's hair.  I've had some of the dye bleach due to chems though.  Dylan cleared that up some time ago.  The epoxy of the new one is better, as is the deletion of the metal that could potentially scratch. Also, wood rots.  A slightly bigger head in the new style would be great, and maybe a softer feel?

The epoxy was only an issue on one batch, when the manufacturer tried to go cheap on the materials. A piece of tape on the metal ring and your good, plus there is no sharp edges...and two years with 2 each brushes, the wood will not rot, lol.

I personally like the newer "smaller" one better.  For me it fits much better in the lugs than the larger older one.  I feel that it cleans better being that I don't feel I'am having to cram 10 pounds of bristles into a 5 pound box, when cleaning them.  I might also add that I have a larger truck where this was an issue for me.  

I set my older one aside to varathane the handle.  Just wasn't sure how well the wooden handle would hold up to repeated exposure to water then drying.  

Went and compared my brushes again and my red one is still really stiff and coarser than the blonde boar's hair lug brush I have.  The blonde one is much softer that's why I assumed my red one had plastic bristles. 

I'll have to do more testing with the red one since I had stopped using it after that assumption.

I personally like the newer "smaller" one better. For me it fits much better in the lugs than the larger older one. I feel that it cleans better being that I don't feel I'am having to cram 10 pounds of bristles into a 5 pound box, when cleaning them. I might also add that I have a larger truck where this was an issue for me.

I set my older one aside to varathane the handle. Just wasn't sure how well the wooden handle would hold up to repeated exposure to water then drying.

Thanks Chris.

The handle snapped on my old one. I'm not trying to change people's opinions, just pointing out the reasons for the evolution as I remember them being explained.

Thanks. Did you use your brush as a prybar? haha. Your the first person I've ever heard of who's handle snapped. Watch, mine will snap now.

Went and compared my brushes again and my red one is still really stiff and coarser than the blonde boar's hair lug brush I have.  The blonde one is much softer that's why I assumed my red one had plastic bristles. 

I'll have to do more testing with the red one since I had stopped using it after that assumption.

Thanks.

I didn't like the new one when it first came out, but forced myself to use it.

After getting used to it there are advantages to the new one; no metal ring and smaller size works better for normal car sized lug nuts.

I still have the old wood handle unit and it is now dedicated to dry/interior use now and I feel the bristles on the old unit are slightly softer.

Dave

Edited by DaveVY

Can't please 100% of the people 100% of the time and this is a perfect example.

When the original brush was out we had complaints it was too big, they didn't like the metal collar, and after prolonged use the wood handle would start to deteriorate. 

We address all those concerns with the new brush (which is boars hair btw) and people want the old brush back LOL. 

I was just getting people's opinion Dylan, thats all.  Both of my old ones are 2+ years old (with continued used on every wash) and I've experienced zero issues (My first one fell apart pretty quickly, but I think I was part of the bad batch IIRC), they are BA brushes.  But I always like to do my research ahead of time in case one of them goes down...and just happen to notice the wood handled style with the big head are hard to come by...you pretty much have to get quality ones from overseas.  I wasn't sure if the plastic handle style was right for me.  I notice a few manufacturers carry them, so people must like them. 

All I had to go off of was the picture, and just comparing the pictures, it seemed the old style was more of a "premium" style brush.  It's tough to tell without using them.  I wanted to get some comparisons from people that have used both. 

Can't please 100% of the people 100% of the time and this is a perfect example.

When the original brush was out we had complaints it was too big, they didn't like the metal collar, and after prolonged use the wood handle would start to deteriorate. 

We address all those concerns with the new brush (which is boars hair btw) and people want the old brush back LOL. 

A great example of Adam's Polishes attention to customer satisfaction and constant product improvement.

I like both the old and new brushes and see the benefits of both. As a result I now use both of them for differing purposes. :)

The old brushes can still be bought directly from the supplier. But I agree that it's good to have an assortment of brushes. The new bushes seem to be better for most cars being that they are smaller and have longer bristles so they'll fit the lug nuts easier. I use the wooden handle ones for the leather interior. Just a spray of the Interior cleaner on the brush and gently work it into the leather then a wipe off with the Utility towel.