Customer Service 866.965.0400

Brand New Car. What now?

Desertstealth

Question

Hi all,

Over the past year, I have researched car care products and have become a fan of Adam's polishes.  My current car is a 2013 Camaro BRM (Blue Ray Metallic) SS convertible.  I am slowly fixing all my earlier trial and error mistakes.  My wife is getting the 2013 and I recently ordered a 2014 ZL1 convertible in CRT (Crystal Red Metallic).  It has the standard black wheels (being built now and will likely be delivered around Christmas or New Year's).

Since I am now an Adams fan, I want to do what's best for my new car.  From what I have read, the car will likely need a wash & clay bar.  I also ordered the quick sealant for the wheels.  Would you polish or go directly to glaze and Americana wax?

I have a heated garage.  No worries there.  After I detail the car, on advice from many Camaro friends, I will have a clear bra put on the front.

What would you all do with a brand new vehicle?

Thanks!

Marcus

8 answers to this question

A brand new vehicle that has sat out on the dealer lot and washed improperly every week would definitely need the full treatment. However, since it seems you are taking delivery immediately from production, then you shouldn't have too much to do aside from the basics. Give it a wash and then go from there: do the baggie test to see if anything is stuck to the paint which would need to be clayed off, then inspect the paint for swirls or any other flaws that may exist which you'd want to polish out. When you're happy with the condition, then yes, use QS for the wheels and glaze/Americana for the paint.

Welcome, Marcus!  Apologies for the re-post, but here's what I did with my new Shelby (despite the fact that I took delivery immediately)...

1.  Strip wash using a Car Wash Pad with Shampoo and APC

2.  Dry with a Great White Towel (and DS as required)

3.  Dress all plastic/rubber moldings, trim, and stripes with SVRT

4.  Clay entire car using DS as a lubricant

5.  Polish with FMP (recently replaced by Paint Finishing Polish) and White Pad on my PC7424XP

6.  IPA wipedown with SS Microfiber

7.  MSS (recently replaced by Liquid Paint Sealant) and Gray Pad on my PC

8.  BG and Red Pad on my PC

9.  Americana (one of two carnuba waxes I use) and Gray Pad on my PC

If a machine polisher isn't in the budget, you might give Revive Fine Hand Polish on a Blue Pad a try, along with QS.  (Some form of sealant will, however, provide the most durable protection for your paint.)  Everything else I recommended can be applied by hand.

Almost every new car will have some swirls or marring from the factory.  Keep in mind it is painted relatively early in the build stages so the chances of not a single worker rubbing up against it is pretty low.

I don't have much to add here, but like Michael said .........DON'T LET THE DEALERSHIP TOUCH IT!  Tell them that you want the car right off the truck untouched.  They'll scratch the heck out of the paint. And then follow Norton's advice.  

While it is a good idea not to let the dealer touch the car if you plan to do your own stuff to it right away.  Keep in mind that not every dealer in the world will murder your car's paint.  You can always ask the dealer to see the people who prep the cars.  They'd probably be more than happy to show you.

Thanks everyone!  I've seen other Camaros delivered to the dealer and they are pretty dirty from the trip to Las Vegas.  I was curious about what other folks did besides the wash.  I have a great relationship with the service department and won't let the wash guy near my current car (from past experience).  I will ask them to not wash the new one.

I just ordered the Cyclo starter kit to add to my collection of Adam's stuff.

Thanks again

Marcus