Customer Service 866.965.0400

Xpel + Clear Polish & Protection

jbjones85

Question

I'm getting Xpel Ultimate installed on my vehicle as I type this to combat rock chips since it is my DD.  Since Xpel has self healing properties what is the general consensus on if the clear polish will have an advantage over just my normal routine (clay, sealant, glaze, wax)???  I don't mind spending the money on it, but if there is no real benefit there are other products I could re purpose those funds too. 

The description mentioned 3m films and yellowing but one of the things with Xpel is SUPPOSE to be that it won't yellow...

Thank you for passing along your knowledge and experience. 

Josh

13 answers to this question

Thanks for the insight... keep them coming.  

@ Tim --- It's a little to late now since the install has started but are you happy with the Xpel?

Yes, but I wish I would have covered more! Now getting some small chips on the hood, Camaros seem to attract rocks.

I'll tell ya like I tell ALL my clients about PPF.....

#1) Paint needs to be PERFECT underneath.  Otherwise you're going to be frustrated with defects trapped underneath.

#2) We GENTLY polish PPF with the typical Correction Polish & Finishing Polish.  Usually just at a slightly slower speed on the polisher, and usually make faster passes.  We've had NO issues with harming films.

#3) We seal & wax them JUST like paint, and have had phenomenal results with that.

Hope that helps.  IMO, this is just another product that people will try to sell you "PPF specific" polishes & sealers.....and it's just absolutely not necessary.  Kinda like how people would say - "Oh you gotta have foam cannon soap for your foam cannon" LOL....whatever.  But again, this all just my opinion, and from my experience. :)

#1) Paint needs to be PERFECT underneath.  Otherwise you're going to be frustrated with defects trapped underneath.

#2) We GENTLY polish PPF with the typical Correction Polish & Finishing Polish.  Usually just at a slightly slower speed on the polisher, and usually make faster passes.  We've had NO issues with harming films.

#3) We seal & wax them JUST like paint, and have had phenomenal results with that.

Hope that helps.  IMO, this is just another product that people will try to sell you "PPF specific" polishes & sealers.....and it's just absolutely not necessary.  Kinda like how people would say - "Oh you gotta have foam cannon soap for your foam cannon" LOL....whatever.  But again, this all just my opinion, and from my experience. :)

This! ^

Two other overlooked facts about PPF:  it needs to be refreshed every few (generally every 5) years - one application will not last forever (fortunately Xpel is WAY easier to remove than 3M).  And with your self-healing Xpel film - anything you put on top of it will technically void its warranty...how the hell they would know if you waxed or sealed your PPF is anybodys guess but it's still good information to have in case you need to make a claim - DON'T say "well I just waxed it like the rest of the car"...that will leave you SOL.

Okay, my brother has an SS Camaro with hood stripes. He considered having the clear film put on to prevent stone chips, etc, and was told explicitly NOT to cover the stripes. Because like Frank said, it needs to be refreshed every so often (replaced) and when they do it, it takes the stripes with it. So you'll have the expense of replacing stripes (if you have them) in addition to the clear.  So you might want to consider what you cover before doing it.

On the same note, I had it applied in some areas on my Cadillac and today...............I found a nice big stone chip down to the bone where they couldn't put the tape. *****!!!  So I guess I'll be taking it into the shop in the spring for a touch up and we'll have to try and figure out a way to get this area taped up as well. 

Thank you for the first hand feedback,  that was my hunch as well based on other things i have read but wanted to confirm the experts.  The car is only 2 weeks old and I did the first detail and did a light correction so it was in very close to perfect shape when delivered to the installer..   I will treat like paint. 

This! ^

Two other overlooked facts about PPF:  it needs to be refreshed every few (generally every 5) years - one application will not last forever (fortunately Xpel is WAY easier to remove than 3M).  And with your self-healing Xpel film - anything you put on top of it will technically void its warranty...how the hell they would know if you waxed or sealed your PPF is anybodys guess but it's still good information to have in case you need to make a claim - DON'T say "well I just waxed it like the rest of the car"...that will leave you SOL.

Yes, my installer also mentioned the refresh after X years thing.   I will keep the warranty thing in mind and "play dumb" if it ever comes up (hopefully not).

Okay, my brother has an SS Camaro with hood stripes. He considered having the clear film put on to prevent stone chips, etc, and was told explicitly NOT to cover the stripes. Because like Frank said, it needs to be refreshed every so often (replaced) and when they do it, it takes the stripes with it. So you'll have the expense of replacing stripes (if you have them) in addition to the clear.  So you might want to consider what you cover before doing it.

On the same note, I had it applied in some areas on my Cadillac and today...............I found a nice big stone chip down to the bone where they couldn't put the tape. *****!!!  So I guess I'll be taking it into the shop in the spring for a touch up and we'll have to try and figure out a way to get this area taped up as well. 

no stripes so should be good to go there.     That's no good about the chip. 

I'm getting Xpel Ultimate installed on my vehicle as I type this to combat rock chips since it is my DD.  Since Xpel has self healing properties what is the general consensus on if the clear polish will have an advantage over just my normal routine (clay, sealant, glaze, wax)???  I don't mind spending the money on it, but if there is no real benefit there are other products I could re purpose those funds too. 

The description mentioned 3m films and yellowing but one of the things with Xpel is SUPPOSE to be that it won't yellow...

Josh

jbjones85,

How did the installation go? The clear polish will be just fine on XPEL ULTIMATE. In very very rare occurrences will XPEL ULTIMATE yellow, and even then this is due to the fact that the film is just dirty and needs to be cleaned. That said though, we warranty yellowing on our film where practically no one else does.

Chase@Adams said it right,
To avoid seeing any rock chips underneath the paint protection it is best to have them touched up. Light scratches and swirl marks will actually be masked and hidden by the paint protection film. Because ULTIMATE has an automotive clear coat at the top layer you can polish our film with the typical correction polish and finishing polish. There is no need to polish at slower speeds or make faster passes.  It behaves just like paint.

It was mentioned that XPEL ULTIMATE needs to be refreshed every x amount of years. Our warranty is ten (10) years from the date of purchase. This does not mean that after ten years the film needs to be replaced. If maintained, washed, waxed, and sealed/polished properly the film can last indefinitely. Just like with most things in life, the better you take care of something the longer it will usually last. Using these products will NOT void the films warranty. 

Rich,

We have installed film over numerous hood stripes over the years and haven't had a single issue with anyone pulling stripe or paint.  The key is using the right removal technique. First use a steamer to soften the adhesive and then when you go to remove it, stretch the film off rather than pulling straight up or back over itself.  This will minimize the stress on whatever the film is stuck to as well as preventing it from leaving all its adhesive behind.

At this point I have mixed feeling on it.  I waited the recommended 48+ hours and did a quick wash then it immediately started raining so I did not get an opportunity to do a full detail and close inspection until this past weekend.  To be perfectly honest there are a few issues I need to talk about with the installer and see if it is "normal" or me being ocd...  I know it takes a little time for everything to cure and settle but it appears as if there are a few edges that are not properly attached, air pockets here and there,  and a few areas on the hood (most visible part) that show signs of stretching/adhesive shift which will drive me nuts.  Once I have an opportunity to talk to the installed I will post more feedback.     

At this point I have mixed feeling on it.  I waited the recommended 48+ hours and did a quick wash then it immediately started raining so I did not get an opportunity to do a full detail and close inspection until this past weekend.  To be perfectly honest there are a few issues I need to talk about with the installer and see if it is "normal" or me being ocd...  I know it takes a little time for everything to cure and settle but it appears as if there are a few edges that are not properly attached, air pockets here and there,  and a few areas on the hood (most visible part) that show signs of stretching/adhesive shift which will drive me nuts.  Once I have an opportunity to talk to the installed I will post more feedback.     

If you're having issues like that then the film wasn't installed correctly from the get go.

Josh

Hello buddy,

Nice post, paint protection film is a 3m brand of product. it applied for save your car from road damage.