Customer Service 866.965.0400

Overdoing it

Jeep guy

Question

I've had my new jeep a little over a month now. I have clay bared it, used the liquid sealant, used the quick sealant, and buttery wax twice. After work today I washed it and used the detail spray and put it in the garage. I was thinking of putting another app of buttery on it tomorrow. I really enjoy garage time and cleaning that jeep. Am I overdoing it? Or is it ok to keep doing it? I'm really getting addicted to keep that thing clean. Thanks

22 answers to this question

Just ordered glaze last night along with other things. Think I've spent around 300 bucks in adams products in the last month. Now my adams supply is building up. My wife thinks I'm crazy. Maybe that why I like garage time. Got some VRT too, can't wait to use it.

Just ordered glaze last night along with other things. Think I've spent around 300 bucks in adams products in the last month. Now my adams supply is building up. My wife thinks I'm crazy. Maybe that why I like garage time. Got some VRT too, can't wait to use it.

Don't worry, you aren't crazy yet.  $300 may seem like a lot but that's still a noob level.  :D

I think I've spent $300 just in shipping with all the products I have. I have everything they sell in gallon refills, master blaster, buckets, towels, even unused pads and towels sitting on top of my storage cabinet. And I don't even detail as much as some of the others on here. 

Wife can't complain about the products, never has and never will. It's her car that gets the most detailing attention.  ;)

It's funny I used to think the same thing as you, "holy smokes I've spent how much"  (say up to $400 at the time).   This was in June, I am now well over $1000, and have gallon refills for detail spray, waterless, car shampoo and all purpose cleaner.  Aside from the new polishes and the latest release of products, I pretty much have everything except for a few brushes and undercarriage spray.   Adam's has great promotions and great products, I've been able to save a lot when looking for the right deal, and as a result i have been a loyal customer since first trying the claybar/detail spray combo.  Also the community here is second to none, of any online forum I have been a part of this one seems to genuinely have the best mix of people.  Everyone is polite, no "douches", and you rarely get anything but positive support from the community.

To answer the ORIGINAL question..... 

YES.  That's massive overkill.  Period.

Quick Sealant or Liquid Paint Sealant (<for the massive win) ALONE will yield some great shine, and ~5 months protection.  Buttery wax on top of that, will add more shine & depth, along with a touch more durability, however I can see you wanting to add that once a month or two. In addition, if you're using DS with every wash, you have to remember that the new formula will maintain gloss, and add longevity to the protection.  And in our shop, with every detail we do, we protect our client's cars with a sealant & wax combo, because we believe in that system of intense gloss & protection.  

But YES bro....you're going WAY overboard, if you've done both sealants and Buttery WITHIN a month.  If you keep going at that rate, you will cause more damage than good, as you'll cloud the paint finish and actually dull the shine.  Let the products do their job and live their life.  Agreed with the boys above.  If you feel the compulsion to apply "shine enhancing" product every wash, use BG. :)

How does this sound as a suggestion...  CHIME IN IF IM WRONG

1.    Sealant **of your choice**

2.    Brilliant Glaze

3.    Americana or Buttery

4.    Follow up (bi)weekly with Glaze...  would this cause problems due to the fact that wax is already underneath it?

i feel like this way you will have maximum shine longer and still have all the protection

I don't believe it would be overkill because the last layer of glaze wouldn't last anyways... so its just addition to a normal procedure.

In the past glazes were layered on top of waxes unlike the way its done now by have glaze below the wax

The last gloss enhancement provided by the BG WILL remain so long as the wax overcoat hasn't been compromised thus exposing the BG to the elements. BG is a shine enhancer and can be applied over and over with zero ill effect. If you wax over it bi-weekly, please refer to Chase's post above as the hazing issue WILL apply! ;)

Edited by IrishCurse

"In the past glazes were layered on top of waxes unlike the way its done now by have glaze below the wax"

Misleading considering his original question / confusion.  Just clearing the air, and my statement wasn't directed at you.  Just a general statement.

okay, sorry about the confusion.

but the process i had posted seems like a good one for the OP to follow?

1.sealant 2.glaze 3.wax. 4.wash 5.glaze. 6.wash 7.glaze  and so on.. untill he wants to strip it and reaply the whole shabang  :pc7424: