Customer Service 866.965.0400

This is why you need to be careful removing snow.

Captain Slow

Question

10 answers to this question

Agreed. On a similar note -- does anyone know if the stuff they spray on the roads here in the Mid-Atlantic area is corrosive to metal? I have no idea what the stuff is, other than it's some sort of liquid they "pre-treat" the roads with before snowfall is expected.

Agreed. On a similar note -- does anyone know if the stuff they spray on the roads here in the Mid-Atlantic area is corrosive to metal? I have no idea what the stuff is, other than it's some sort of liquid they "pre-treat" the roads with before snowfall is expected.

It can be pure de-icer, a mixture of salt and mag chloride, salt, or mag chloride alone. 

Staying on top of keeping the lower parts clear of this debris--like your wheels is paramount.  It's not like I *wanted* to plasti dip my winter wheels. ;)

Rich, MANY states have outlawed the use of Mag Chloride, but many use it still.  Pretty much all of the de-icing products put a corrosion inhibitor in with it.  This is mainly to help the roads and bridges though.  

Iowa and IL I know use sodium chloride with beet juice.  

The liquid spray is usually watered down sodium chloride and beet juice as well.  

Thanks for the insight. I need to look more into what they use here. I'm guessing it's some top notch expensive thing here (considering our taxes and the number of self-important people here I'm the DC area… ;-) ) Hopefully it's nothing too harsh, but I do need to keep my Tacoma's underside clean -- those things are notorious for corrosion.

Thanks for the insight. I need to look more into what they use here. I'm guessing it's some top notch expensive thing here (considering our taxes and the number of self-important people here I'm the DC area… ;-) ) Hopefully it's nothing too harsh, but I do need to keep my Tacoma's underside clean -- those things are notorious for corrosion.

Rich - if you find out what they use here, post it up.  I am a fellow Montgomery County Resident.  My daily driver is coated in whatever that chemical is.

cheers

Todd

if you live in MD like your name says.. yes it is. Ive heard the stuff they spray now has some sort of manassass in it to help stick to the roads.. which would only help stick to cars even more.. working on cars all day i can definitley say this stuff rust out cars around here

They do the same thing here and what is used here at least is a brine solution.  

Here is a link explaining what it does and how it is made.

http://www.boston.com/business/gallery/brinesolution/