Customer Service 866.965.0400

Spray on 3M Clear Bra

Beemer

Question

Anyone ever do anything like this?

http://www.autopia-carcare.com/3m-paint-defender-system.html

I'm planning a cross-country road trip for early next year and am not crazy about the inevitable chips and dings on the front of the Rocket.  If I can spray this stuff on for the trip and peel it off after I get back I might be able to avoid some of that.

Does this go under the column "too good to be true"?

Edited by Beemer

9 answers to this question

I tried it on the wife's Yukon XL before a road trip. I doubt I would do it again.

1. It was difficult to get an even coat. The spray can would clog and sputter repeatedly, putting big blobs on the hood. Around the details, it was worse as I changed the position of the spray can.

2. It dried fairly clear, probably good enough for the average user, but not for the average Adam's user. It bothered me the whole time I left it on there.

3. It gave some protection from the smallest nicks, but I doubt it would give protection from the bigger ones that leave the little dings.

4. It was difficult to remove. All of the reviews explain that you must have a thick coat to have an easy time peeling it off, but that was easier said than done. All of the details around fog lights, grills, etc. tended to be thinner and more difficult to take off. I eventually used the power washer followed by a pass of fine machine polish to get it back to where it should be.

For the next trip, I'll just plan to pick up a new bottle of touch up paint and follow it with a bit of polishing, it would be quicker.

YMMV, good luck.

I tried it on the wife's Yukon XL before a road trip. I doubt I would do it again.

1. It was difficult to get an even coat. The spray can would clog and sputter repeatedly, putting big blobs on the hood. Around the details, it was worse as I changed the position of the spray can.

2. It dried fairly clear, probably good enough for the average user, but not for the average Adam's user. It bothered me the whole time I left it on there.

3. It gave some protection from the smallest nicks, but I doubt it would give protection from the bigger ones that leave the little dings.

4. It was difficult to remove. All of the reviews explain that you must have a thick coat to have an easy time peeling it off, but that was easier said than done. All of the details around fog lights, grills, etc. tended to be thinner and more difficult to take off. I eventually used the power washer followed by a pass of fine machine polish to get it back to where it should be.

For the next trip, I'll just plan to pick up a new bottle of touch up paint and follow it with a bit of polishing, it would be quicker.

YMMV, good luck.

Thank you.  That's exactly the kind of info I needed.