Customer Service 866.965.0400

Bird Poo, left etch in Clear Coat

fieldgoal00

Question

A bird decided to place a deposit on my car door yesterday while I was at work. Of course I had just washed the car Sunday evening. I was able to get it all off without scratching anything, however it still ate into the clear coat even though it was only on there a maximum of 3 hours. When I got home I broke out the clay bar in hopes that it would help however it didn’t put a dent in it. I then broke out the Porter Cable and used the Severe Swirl & Haze remover followed by the Swirl & Haze remover and then Buttery Wax. When I was finished it seemed like it may have worked at least a little bit because I could not notice it anymore unless the light was shining on the car at a perfect angle and I was looking at it at a certain angle.

This morning when I got to work I walked around to the passenger side of the car and you can definitely still see it on the car. Is there anything else you can recommend to do to get this out? The finish is glass smooth but you can still see it in the clear coat. Any help would be appreciated. If you need a photo I can try and get one for you. I am hoping that the new Microfiber pads and new Two step Adams paint correcting process will work better than the older 3-step Adams product and the foam pads.

3 answers to this question

Oddly enough, I've had luck letting the sun heat the area and it seems to help level out the damage some.  Then with my Adams arsenal I tackle the rest.

You'll probably have to get mean with it and use the 4" focus pads followed by the PC. 

The new system is infinitely better IMO.   The MF pads cut faster so on a rotary, care should be taken. 

I went through this a few weeks back. I had my car out for the weekend and one night a bird got the roof. I washed it clean the next morning but when I got home I could see the marks in the clear coat.

I used my PC with 4" pads on speed 4, with Swirl & Haze remover. It took me 4 passes to get ALL of the marks out. What I would do at the end of each pass is wipe the area down with IPA and take a look using a good light. Once I was happy that I had gotten it all then I put some wax on.

Just take it slow and easy on each pass and keep working the area until you have it all. Having a good light helps inspect the work area.

I had to wetsand poop for somebody the other day because the etching it left behind was just too deep...machine polishing wasn't going to touch it.  Bird poop is highly acidic and unfortunately no LSP stands a chance against it if left on a paint system (especially a hot one) for too long.