Customer Service 866.965.0400

Waxing w/o polishing/claying

DrBlockHed

Question

My wife has a black Mazda CX-9, we've been getting a decent amount of snow here in NJ and the truck hasn't been waxed/sealed.  I want a layer of protection.

FIrst off, is it ok to wax/seal w/o claying/polishing?  Then when it's warmer out I can strip it then correct the paint?  

Second, I have both Americana and Machine Sealant, I planned on using the sealant but have never used it before (I have a Flex), after I seal it, it cures for 24 hours, do I just have to wipe it down again (due to being some high spots) and is it ok to leave out overnight in sub 32 degree temps during that 24 period?

Thanks in advance

5 answers to this question

I think it would be fine to wax and seal it now without polishing or claying, BUT, the car has to be clean first. I've waxed without claying a couple of times and it was fine, just not sure about the sealents without claying. suppose it the same but the sealant should bond the the bare paint instead of the imbedded crud thats in the clear coat, if you can clay, if not I don't see the harm. But if you don't clay it won't last as long and probably won't bead or do its job as good as it could.

No big deal if you can't clay before sealing or waxing - you might not get maximum durability out of it, but it will get you through the winter just fine.

Apply the sealant a panel at a time and level it off with a towel as you're doing it - then wait the 24 hours; give it a dusting; then apply the Americana.  Freezing temp is fine for the car & sealant - just don't leave the product bottles themselves in those conditions!

And as a triple crown winner: fellow Mazda owner, fellow NJ resident, AND fellow Adam's Forum member, if you ever need a hand or some shelter to detail just shoot me a PM and we'll make it happen :)

No big deal if you can't clay before sealing or waxing - you might not get maximum durability out of it, but it will get you through the winter just fine.

Apply the sealant a panel at a time and level it off with a towel as you're doing it - then wait the 24 hours; give it a dusting; then apply the Americana.  Freezing temp is fine for the car & sealant - just don't leave the product bottles themselves in those conditions!

And as a triple crown winner: fellow Mazda owner, fellow NJ resident, AND fellow Adam's Forum member, if you ever need a hand or some shelter to detail just shoot me a PM and we'll make it happen :)

Nice!! Where about in South Jersey are you? Im in Monroe, near Princeton

You will be perfectly fine putting down sealant and wax without polishing and/or claying.  Like Frank stated in a previous post, you might not get the maximum longevity and durability, but it will be more than sufficient.

With MSS I always apply it to the entire vehicle, wait 30 minutes, then come back and wipe it down.  After that, I let it cure for 12 hours and then knock it down again to get rid of any residual hazing that may have occurred.  If you let the vehicle sit out over night, I would knock the the residual hazing down with a waterless wash wipe down before layering the wax on top.  This will reduce the amount of damage that may be inflicted on your paint.

However, I rarely use the MSS since the QS has come out.  It is so much faster and requires way less cure time while providing the same longevity and durability as the MSS.

Happy detailing!