Customer Service 866.965.0400

"Topper Wax" on top of Sealant - How often?

Ricky Bobby

Question

I used this technique for years on my cars as I really enjoy a quick hand waxing in the summertime to give some added shine.  I do not use glazes as they don't last long enough for me.

I don't currently use Liquid Paint Sealant although I use a well known liquid sealant from another company which I am quite happy with, I usually get a solid 6 months of protection if not more, the shine is excellent, especially with the gloss boost I get from my Detail spray drying agent :)

However, sometimes I'd like to "throw a quick coat on" on a nice Sunday in the spring/summer, and wondered what would be good as a "topper" on top of something similar to Liquid Paint Sealant?  I mean, I've done two coats of sealant in the past, and by that point you literally throw a sock on my hood and it just slides right off LOL.

Would Buttery Wax give me the "Sunday Waxing Satisfaction", add a bit of shine and depth to my Topaz Blue (think a bright navy blue metallic) X5 with a liquid sealant underneath?  I considered Americana but pure carnaubas do not last for me, I get maybe about 30-45 days before I feel like it "needs another coat".  Is Buttery Wax longer lasting than Americana, or do they have the same surface life?  Educate me a bit here, if Buttery Wax is expected to last 2 months in the sun then I would plan on using it as a topper every couple months during the warmer parts of the year, same with Americana, etc.

I'm not overkill like the guy with the Jeep above who put 2 coats of liquid sealant, a quick sealant coat, 2 coats of buttery wax and a coat of Americana in a month LOL.

Edited by Ricky Bobby

9 answers to this question

This is what Buttery is really meant for!  It has a little bit of a fill effect to hide some minor defects too.  

Americana and Patriot are great too, but they're considerably more money.  

Buttery is good for 1.5 months depending on the climate.  

Americana will last longer than Buttery............ once you are topped off with wax over your NEW! Adam's Liquid Paint Sealant (which will last a long time on its own) .you can always glaze Adam's Brilliant Glaze when you get the urge to wax, you could glaze every weekend if you wanted and it will not build up like wax would. Hope this helps.......

Thanks for the help guys.  I was wondering what lasted more, Buttery or Americana! My father in law still has a huge amount of Americana (full sized tub) that he bought last year at the Detailers Domain Adams clinic (Ashley, Adam, and a few other of the crew were there, was great to meet them!) in NJ, so what I'm going to do is throw a coat of that on top, I'll probably buy my own tub in my next order (or maybe an Americana mini), but I think that is the effect I'll be going for, Americana on top of Liquid Sealant, durability and depth/gloss!

I may be the only guy here but I'm not big on glazing at all haha. 

I've seen it work in action by the man himself, and its a great product, no lie!  It's just not a staple of my detailing arsenal.  I correct yearly with a medium/finishing polish to get my imperfections and minor swirls/scratches out, then I seal, then, as I implied above, I usually add a topper coat of premium wax for depth, added gloss, and shine.  I just don't have a need for a glazing step in my regimen.

But I've watched the videos, seen the pictures, and watched Adam use it himself in person, and for guys that are a fan of it, its the best glaze on the market no doubt!

Looks like I'll be an "Americana believer" soon as well :)

Edited by Ricky Bobby

Keep in mind, Americana WILL last longer and I love it, but buttery will hide minor imperfections like BG because it has some fillers.  

Now, I have Patriot, and it's TRULY the best wax I've ever used.  My G8 got a layer of AQS and then Patriot and it looks B-E-A-utiful! 

Keep in mind, Americana WILL last longer and I love it, but buttery will hide minor imperfections like BG because it has some fillers.  

Now, I have Patriot, and it's TRULY the best wax I've ever used.  My G8 got a layer of AQS and then Patriot and it looks B-E-A-utiful! 

I have to agree, I love my Patriot too..............however, Buttery & Americana are not to be overlooked.

Until I see a straight up head to head review, with full pictures and video's and full documentation....

I take the Sealant--->Glaze--->Wax durabilties with a  grain of salt.  We are all just kind of repeating what has always been stated...but I've never seen any proof about the overall durability of products.  The "this protects better, this last longer, glaze degrades wax" claimes are great...but we need a straight up lengthy review/litmus test.  There are also way to many factors to say for sure...also, like has been fully displayed on other forums, water beeding is not the be all, end all to ensure LSP is still present.   

Edited by 07RS4