Customer Service 866.965.0400

Hotsy Blast Off Protection?

Vink70

Question

When I pressure wash my truck to get all the salt and snow off, I use my dad's Hotsy Pressure washer. I don't know the specs or the temp off hand but my question is...

Would the pressure + the hot water blast the wax and sealant off? Sometimes when washing I notice the water doesn't pool up on the bottom of the truck as well.

I normally blast the truck off with hot water since it breaks everything down better. Then wash until the handle of the washer gets cold so that I don't leave hot water in the pump and hose.

Just curious if anyone else uses one or has ran into this before.

9 answers to this question

Best to clean it and put Sealant on it and a good coat of wax and skip the pressure wash.  The sealant and wax will keep your paint protected well enough with just regular washings.

The pressure wash is used to blast the salt from all the snow off. If I were to post a picture of my truck right now, then you would see that just a normal wash wont do! Definitely need to blast it first! The hot water just helps break the crap and crud down.

Hard to say without knowing the temp of the water you'll be using exactly. 

Most wax will hold up to 140-160*... beyond that you'll see it degrade. Sealants are going to have a much higher thresholds for temp... Quick Sealant for example can take north of 300* without any evaporation concerns. 

Thats good to know! Might need to hit it with wax again then! I did lay the sealant down before the wax so thats a plus for me!

I'm no chemist, but if you think about what happens to wax if you put that container in a pan of hot water, your hot pressure wash might be doing the same thing.

It just cleans so well with the hot water! Blasts the crap off so much better with hot water!

The more I looked at it today since it was raining and not snowing... whatever combination they put on the roads here, the beading/no beading line is exactly where the salt has been sitting on the paint. Looks like its time to toss more wax on it. I figured the wax/sealant combo would have lasted longer than 2 months but they must use aggressive stuff here.

The more I looked at it today since it was raining and not snowing... whatever combination they put on the roads here, the beading/no beading line is exactly where the salt has been sitting on the paint. Looks like its time to toss more wax on it. I figured the wax/sealant combo would have lasted longer than 2 months but they must use aggressive stuff here.

I don't know what they use in your state, but it's only a few different types of 'road salt' and they usually use an additive with a molasses base. This means that it acts like a surfactant causing you to think your sealant is gone, but in reality it's just being interfered with.

Think of it as a barrier that's covering up the hydrophobicity of your sealant/wax combo. I'm willing to bet this is what is happening.

You should consider washing it with a soap or use a rinse less product. Rinse less washes are designed to be surfactant cleaners and should leave you with a clean surface above your LSP.

I'm still testing their Machine Super Sealant and it is still going strong from late May. (Two applications to ensure full coverage) So, two months seems pretty poor in comparison considering I'm also going through a very 'salty' winter in Illinois.

So my question is: What did you do to ensure all the 'road salt' is off the spots in question?

So my question is: What did you do to ensure all the 'road salt' is off the spots in question?

I get what you are saying. Sounds like I need to get another hand wash in and see if it still beads off. I know the salt mixture has been sitting on the truck for 3 weeks at a time so I just figured with it sitting on the paint and not being able to wash it off that it just sat there and ate away at the sealant.

As for making sure its all off. I normally use the hotsy and pressure wash it off.