Customer Service 866.965.0400

Receiver took a dump..

MAYBEN

AYE AYE AYE

Last night, the Wife and I were watching a Netflix movie we borrowed from my Dad.  In the last 40 minutes, the receiver was producing sound intermittently.  Then it just stopped completely (well some light sound on the rear speakers).

It's a Samsung BluRay Home Theater in a Box HT-BD3252.

Not sure I want to go with another HTIB.  If we had a different house, I definitely wouldn't be going with another HTIB.  Not sure what we're going to do, but surround sound is a must, lol..

Of course when we purchased this one we bought the extended warranty from Best Buy, which ended this past September..

I've never bought a HTIB before.  I'm a component guy.  We have a Denon for our upstairs and I'm not a huge fan.  It works OK though.

I had an Elite which IMO is one of the best for the money, but they cost MONEY which is why when I needed one with HDMI switching, I looked at Denon.  

My buddy's dad believes there's a chip in every new electrical device that knows when the warranty is up and makes the machine stop working.  lol  

Chris

what don't you like about Denon?  I was actually looking at one of their new receivers.

I didn't bother with components when I bought this setup when we still had an apartment, it was a small room.  And I got a great deal on it when I bought it with the TV.

I am comparing it to my previous Elite receiver which is 1000 times better, but didn't have HDMI switching.  I get a buzz from the powered sub when the TV and receiver is off.  I NEVER got that buzz from the Elite.  It started with the new receiver, all other things were the same.  I have to turn the sub off now when we're done which means it only gets used when watching a movie worthy of it. 

I'd look at Pioneer or Elite personally.  

Hmm.. you're right, the Elite AVRs are expensive.

The VSX-70 may be do-able, but is more of their entry level base model.

I wonder if I could use my existing speakers (doubt it) so that I can spread the 'upgrade' over time..

Funny as my 10 plus year old Sony just died during football this past Sunday. I have been wanting a new receiver but couldn't justify while the old one was still working. I got down yesterday with a new Yamaha and I am quite happy with it.

FWIW Dennon has gone down market. They built up quite a name/reputation over the years. Now they have $200 receivers, plastic chassis, limited inputs, etc. I hear that the same company owns both Dennon and Marantz...with Marantz being the higher end. I almost pulled the trigger on a Marantz...but got the Yamaha instead.

I've got a Yamaha R90 receiver in the basement that is old enough to vote and just keeps going.

I also have a pair of Carver M1s down there as well giving credence to the old adage "they don't make 'em like they used to."

While either one isn't surround sound at least they're 100% functioning.

I've had my yamaha 995 for over 15 years and it has worked flawlessly. I'm sure there are better receivers, but I can't justify spending the $ until the old dog dies. Which I guess means I won't ever be replacing it.

The quality/longevity of some of these older receivers is fabulous.

I upgraded from a non-HDMI mid-level Onkyo to a HDMI mid-level Onkyo several years ago and both are working well.  The HDMI works great for the surround sound in the great room, and the other one cranks out the tunes & NPR in the garage.  

I've had my yamaha 995 for over 15 years and it has worked flawlessly. I'm sure there are better receivers, but I can't justify spending the $ until the old dog dies. Which I guess means I won't ever be replacing it.

The quality/longevity of some of these older receivers is fabulous.

+1.  I've been very pleased with both the Yamaha receivers I've owned over the past 15+ years.  I had a Yamaha RX-V995 for 12+ years.  It still worked well when I sold it about three years ago so I could upgrade to the RX-V2065.  My biggest reason for doing so was to get HDMI switching, but the 2065 also offers network connectivity options the 995 didn't have.  

Look at the bright side, MAYBEN...  Failure of any old electronic component is an opportunity to UPGRADE.

I've never had luck with Yamaha. I had one go bad and my dad just had one go bad!

I've never had an Elite go down. My denon doesn't look bad and is metal, but I won't buy another one again. I'll buy Elite.

Might as well put that with your Flat Tube TV :lolsmack:

(I have a 32" Sony that weighs 215LBS I can't beg people to take from me)

Best Buy will take it off your hands gratis and recycle it. Just check their website and make sure your local store offers this service. Luckily mine does.

Best Buy will take it off your hands gratis and recycle it. Just check their website and make sure your local store offers this service. Luckily mine does.

DUDE.

THANKS!  a Bunch!  (Turns out they charge to come get it, but I will call and check pricing.)

Edited by Mook@Adams

Look at that, my thread helped someone, but what about me? lol I need a hook-up!!! haha

Might as well put that with your Flat Tube TV :lolsmack:

(I have a 32" Sony that weighs 215LBS I can't beg people to take from me)

lol, yeah yeah.. I bet it still sounds great too.. but..

So glad I seen this thread. I m going to start shoping around for one after the new year and seeing this really helped me narrow down my choices.

I have to admit .. the Pioneer was going to be one of the first ones I look at because my neighbor swears by his.