Customer Service 866.965.0400

waterless wash . . . different towels?

HFX Detailing

Question

Hey guys, just wondering what the results are of using waterless wash with different towels such as the drying towel or even single/double soft micro.

My GF is amazing and surprised me with waterless wash WOOO. Just wondering if I need to make an order for waterless wash towels or not. Can I get away with using other towels for now (such as single soft)?

Thanks! 

Merry Christmas!

11 answers to this question

Hey Jerome!  Did you watch the video?  

The goal is to use a towel that holds a TON of water.  This is why they use the double softs and then follow up later with the WW towels to dry the car.  

Hey Jerome!  Did you watch the video?  

The goal is to use a towel that holds a TON of water.  This is why they use the double softs and then follow up later with the WW towels to dry the car.  

I did, however I have the waterless wash, not rinseless wash. In the video, the double soft is used with the rinseless wash. Dylan uses the waffle towel for waterless wash with the waterless wash.

So, for my question, sounds like the double soft is out but the drying towel should work?

My bad!  Use the WW towels, or in a pinch the drying towels will work, but I'm not huge on doing that as they can get dirty.  

The WW towels have the pockets so that the dirt can get tucked away and not scratch the finish.

WW towels FTW here. 

Yes you most certainly can and should use plush towels for a waterless wash. In my opinion, a waffle weave towel is not ideal for a waterless wash because the dirt doesn't have anywhere to go. Those pockets mentioned above are for soaking up liquids, not trapping solids. Using a plush towel will keep you from scratching your cars finish because the dirt is encapsulated deep into the plush fibers of the towel. Wash on my friend, no need to order more towels, save your money...

Edited by camaro2ssblack

I've ONLY ever used the WW towels with WW and never had scratching.  The plush towels IMO do a poor job of absorbing liquids so I leave them to buffing off polishes and LSP's.  

The goal is to flip the towel after every swipe and try to roll the towel as you draw it across the paint.

I've ONLY ever used the WW towels with WW and never had scratching.  The plush towels IMO do a poor job of absorbing liquids so I leave them to buffing off polishes and LSP's.  

The goal is to flip the towel after every swipe and try to roll the towel as you draw it across the paint.

Bingo.....Adam's don't recommend using the Double or Single soft towels with WW, just the WW towels or  the Great White......

I understand a waffle weave is the recommended towel by Adams but that's not what the OP asked. The answer he was looking for is that it's perfectly acceptable to use a plush towel for a waterless wash. In fact, I can't think of a single other waterless wash manufacturer who specifically recommends a waffle weave style towel. It's fairly common knowledge that waffle weave is best suited for drying purposes and is not the best "nap" to safely remove dirt from the paint. That being said, either option will work just fine. I wanted the OP to know he didn't have to buy a bunch of expensive towels when he already has the tools needed to do the job.

The waterless towels Adams sells are basically a smaller version of the great white, different color.  I don't use Waterless Wash as a sole cleaning method unless its literally like I drove an hour on a completely sunny and dry day and parked back in the garage and wanted to do a wipe down.  Even then I might use Detail Spray.

Waterless for me gets used when cleaning up door jambs after a wash, getting water spots off wheels when i'm done cleaning them, as well as a pre-soak for Rinseless washing in winter.  I never use it in a situation where i'm comfortable using just a drying towel type waffle weave nap to remove the dirt, etc.  Plusher MF's are used for the duties I use the product for, however I don't find anything wrong with Dylan's video and I'm sure using the Waterless towels are just fine for the uses he outlines in the video.

With our old waterless wash a plush towel seemed to drag the cleaner around the surface... obviously you can give it a try and see how it works for you, but the reason for the waffle weaves was the aborbancy factor.

Waterless Washing isn't like using a detail spray... you want to saturate the surface, then pull that liquid away. The dragging effect from the plush somewhat defeated that purpose and of course you don't want to do that circular buffing movement to counteract that as the grit will still be there.