Customer Service 866.965.0400

Headlights - What do I use?

johnnysart

Question

13 answers to this question

What they said ^.

Revive is a non-abrasive polish (a cleaning polish) so that would be fine.  You do not want to use an abrasive polish on them, as that will remove the original protective coating.  

The original protective coating?   I have seen on here where people have wet sanded their headlights.  What is it that they put back to replace that coating?  I guess if they are all hazed over there is really no choice.  Where as if they are brand new like the OP question you wouldn't want or need to wet sand.  Not sure why a polish would hurt though.  If I remember right, Adam himself mentioned polishing the headlights while doing the car in one of his videos. 

The original protective coating?   I have seen on here where people have wet sanded their headlights.  What is it that they put back to replace that coating?  I guess if they are all hazed over there is really no choice.  Where as if they are brand new like the OP question you wouldn't want or need to wet sand.  Not sure why a polish would hurt though.  If I remember right, Adam himself mentioned polishing the headlights while doing the car in one of his videos. 

Any abrasive polish will remove some of the original protective coating on the lights (yes, microscopic, but it is now gone),  I would suggest keeping the original coating on the lights for as long as possible, so anything that can be done to keep that in place is good.  Once that coating is gone, then the wet-sanding (in the most extreme cases) and aggressive polishing (most cases) begins.  Where I live this is needed every 3-6 months or so, even with a sealant applied.

My wife's 10 year old car is mostly garage kept and the I do use PFP on those lights .  They still have the original protective coating on them and and are not cloudy, just a few scratches.  My son's 8 year old car is outside all the time and the headlights get cloudy after about 5 months.  They were last polished in June and I polished them again on Christmas morning!  

I guess after all that typing, the point is "use the least aggressive method first"! LOL

Sorry for the thread jack John!

Any abrasive polish will remove some of the original protective coating on the lights (yes, microscopic, but it is now gone),  I would suggest keeping the original coating on the lights for as long as possible, so anything that can be done to keep that in place is good.  Once that coating is gone, then the wet-sanding (in the most extreme cases) and aggressive polishing (most cases) begins.  Where I live this is needed every 3-6 months or so, even with a sealant applied.

My wife's 10 year old car is mostly garage kept and the I do use PFP on those lights .  They still have the original protective coating on them and and are not cloudy, just a few scratches.  My son's 8 year old car is outside all the time and the headlights get cloudy after about 5 months.  They were last polished in June and I polished them again on Christmas morning!  

I guess after all that typing, the point is "use the least aggressive method first"! LOL

So what is put back to replace that coating?  Do you just use quick sealant on a regular basis?  I'am sure there is some sort of coating that can reapplied.

So what is put back to replace that coating?  Do you just use quick sealant on a regular basis?  I'am sure there is some sort of coating that can reapplied.

There are 'permanent' coatings that can be used, but this is an Adam's forums so I can't go into any detail.

*Permanent has it's own definition when it comes to coatings.

No worries. I appreciate all the great tips.

I also noticed on my old ones that parts of the rubber backing are cracked so I'm wondering if some VRT might be good on my new ones.

The QS works great on your wheels too.....

Good to know, thank you.

There are 'permanent' coatings that can be used, but this is an Adam's forums so I can't go into any detail.

*Permanent has it's own definition when it comes to coatings.

No problem, besides I love using my Adams products.