Customer Service 866.965.0400

Winter Cleaning

IowaEmt1991

Question

Just curious what other people do to keep their vehicles clean during the winter. I mean the ones you actually drive ;) haha.

Personally I just go to the nice coin op one in town.

1. Spray whole care with detail spray/ (seems to help lift the crap off the paint)

2. spray wheels with wheel cleaner.

3. pre soak

4. soap wash

5. rinse

6. Spot free.

All done with a hand wand, never a drive through or scrubbed with a brush.

Anyone see any problems, or other things I could do to help better my results. I  try to stay on top of washing it once per week in the winter.

Eric

13 answers to this question

I'm retired, so I don't have to drive on crappy days, so my car stays pretty clean most of the time. But when it gets really dirty I will wait till a "warmer" day (in the 40's) and then give it a total detail.  In between, I really like the Rinseless Wash. It's been working pretty good at keeping the car looking reasonably clean, obviously not like when it is freshly detailed. But I've been very happy with the results.

I live in Iowa though haha. My car just gets absolutely destroyed. Especially a few days after a snow storm when the roads have all melted. Car is covered in a combination of salt brine, and god knows what else from the roadway. I know for a fact with how dirty it is, rinseless wash is not an option here.  Atleast until I go to the pay and spray and knock the big stuff off first.

Edited by Silvermistgt2002

Normally I won't even touch the car until spring. If it gets really bad with sand/salt accumulation, I'll break out the power washer and knock off the heavy stuff. You can saturate the surface with WW beforehand to help loosen up some of the junk. And of course the key to easy and safe winter cleaning is getting a decent base of sealant down before winter starts.

Eric,

I do the same thing you do, except I don't use detail spray to spray the car down. After blasting the big stuff off, I use the car washes "pre soak".. I then break out the 2 bucket wash with Adam's soap then rinse, spot free rinse, dry using the detail spray.

I do have some of the Rinseless wash that I'm going to try. Just waiting for the vehicles to get dirty.....

i live in iowa too and i cant even imagine rinseless wash being safe in our winter conditions, des moines is horrible. 

my red paint looks like it went mudding if i dont give it a wash atleast once a week, like now :(

i live in iowa too and i cant even imagine rinseless wash being safe in our winter conditions, des moines is horrible. 

my red paint looks like it went mudding if i dont give it a wash atleast once a week, like now :(

Haha someone that understands.  I think if anything I will stick to my normal routine, then hit it with the rinse less once I get home in my garage.  OR I have also thought about filling up my 2 buckets at home, going to the car wash, spraying it off to get the nasty thick stuff, then 2 bucket washing it. Should't be to bad as the local pay and spray has heated (to an extent) bays.

That is what I do

Fill bucket with warm water, add my shampoo

Spray her down

Wash

Rinse

Don't so much for winter because IT WILL get dirty in a few hours anyways, especially since it snow then melts in a few days then snows again so it's impossible to stay even remotely clean

Eric, what has worked for my through the years is basically what you're doing now.  Pretty much a day or two after every salt necessary event, I'd take the vehicle to the coin-op and spray it down.  I'd use STRAIGHT water with NO soap and knock off all the crap.  I'd get nice and close to get any metallic chunks and what not that may be clinging to the paint as well.  I then would hit it with the "hot wax" which is all but useless.  What it did though, is allow the water to bead even better and roll off in the wind.  

In the fall I make sure to have 2-3 apps of AQS on the car.  My tests have shown that it without any "wax" along with regular spray offs, has helped keep my car "rail dust" free and in the spring it cleans up great! 

Hey Eric, if you're wanting to trade that GP in, let me know!  I'm selling my G8 GT and would LOVE to see it go to a good home right here in IA.  I even have winter wheels and tires if you need them! ;) 

Eric, what has worked for my through the years is basically what you're doing now.  Pretty much a day or two after every salt necessary event, I'd take the vehicle to the coin-op and spray it down.  I'd use STRAIGHT water with NO soap and knock off all the crap.  I'd get nice and close to get any metallic chunks and what not that may be clinging to the paint as well.  I then would hit it with the "hot wax" which is all but useless.  What it did though, is allow the water to bead even better and roll off in the wind.  

In the fall I make sure to have 2-3 apps of AQS on the car.  My tests have shown that it without any "wax" along with regular spray offs, has helped keep my car "rail dust" free and in the spring it cleans up great! 

Hey Eric, if you're wanting to trade that GP in, let me know!  I'm selling my G8 GT and would LOVE to see it go to a good home right here in IA.  I even have winter wheels and tires if you need them! ;)

You have no Idea how much I would like your g8. Unfortunately I just bought a house so for now I will have to pass :( Although I sure do enjoy my house and its 2 car garage lol