Customer Service 866.965.0400

Microfiber Pad issue with Rupes?

2012CC6.2

Question

Just curious if anyone else has had this problem with a new Microfiber pads on a Rupes 21? Kind of curious if the longer throw on the Rupes can cause the pad to peel up on the edges like this? This pad was brand new out of the package before i started the correction on the Camaro i was working on. Ive never had the issue with my Flex or PC, so just curious if maybe the Rupes wont be a good thing for these pads.

post-9166-0-82323300-1388530168_thumb.jpg

post-9166-0-37262100-1388530201_thumb.jpg

16 answers to this question

I've noticed all the pads I've used with the rupes have lasted less time than when used with other machines... it makes sense. You put that much additional lateral movement into the pad its going to manifest itself somewhere else.

I would say it shortened the life of the pads I used with it by a couple of uses. This is purely SOTP (seat of the pants) observation, I haven't done any longer term or more in depth testing of this specific issue, but what you experienced is likely the same as what i did.

Edited by Dylan@Adams

For what its worth, I always notice the MF pads of all brands have a much shorter life than the Foam counterparts.  Something about the heat, pressure etc always makes the material delaminate from the pad after a couple corrections.  I used a MF pad set from another vendor on my X5 and my wifes car (2 pack of 6.5" MF cutting pads), and they were coming apart after completing.  And this was from using with a PC 7424 (non XP), compounding on speed 5-6.

We use the Rupes EXTENSIVELY in our shop.  Here's why it does that:

1) On curvy panels - The throw of the LHR21 is so massive, that it creates a different kind of force in the way that it works a panel.  And when you're working on the higher speeds (primarily 5 & 6), that force will separate the pad from its backing.  The reason for this is because it's not making full contact with the body panel, and the throw of the machine is yanking itself away from the pad.  On slower speeds, it won't do this as aggressively.

2) On smaller panels than the size of the pad - Same thing. 

The LHR21 will do this all day long.  It's truly designed for bigger, flatter panels.  Once this is understood, you'll find you won't have this issue anymore.  There's a lot of "nay-sayers" about the Rupes, but it's because those people don't truly understand the machine, and haven't logged any time in trying to learn its power curve.  However it's a good reason why the Flex AND Rupes, make sense to have both in your arsenal.  We just bought the new Rupes LHR12 Duetto for this reason also.  And we are in love with it.  If you're truly passionate, and love the craft of detailing, it's incredibly smart to have separate polishers, for separate jobs:

3" polisher - 5" polisher - 6" polisher

The Rupes LHR21 is an incredibly phenomenal machine (It's my personal favorite), but it has its place.  Hope this helps.  :)

I've also noticed that the backing plate on the Rupes doesn't allow the Velcro to separate as easily. Therefore you find yourself grabbing the side if the pad and pulling from there causing the glue to separate from the foam and Velcro. I've noticed this with both the microfiber and foam pads on the Rupes.

I've also noticed that the backing plate on the Rupes doesn't allow the Velcro to separate as easily. Therefore you find yourself grabbing the side if the pad and pulling from there causing the glue to separate from the foam and Velcro. I've noticed this with both the microfiber and foam pads on the Rupes.

They have a "less aggressive" backing plate with a lighter stick Velcro to cure that issue.  We've used it.  And eventually ended up going back to the original one.  But if you want a less aggressive Velcro, there is another backing plate to cure it.

I was unimpressed with my Rupes, which does NOT have the washer mod.  Cutting power seemed inadequate, but I'm used to my Flex.  I think it goes without saying at this point that I need the mod to unlock the machines high potential.

The washer mod does help a little bit, but it's not what I'd consider a "deal breaker."  The reason you may not "feel" like it cuts as much, is because the Rupes machines are muuuuuuuuuch smoother in their operation.  When you're used to the "brute muscle car" feel of the Flex, almost ANYTHING else is gonna feel like a cake walk, lol, or like it's not as "aggressive."  But in my opinion, the Rupes is equal to or greater in cutting force, but it does it in a TOTALLY different, more streamline fashion....so I can see where it might "feel" like it doesn't do the work.  Going from the Flex to the Rupes, is like hopping out of an old Chevy with a supercharged 572, into a Ferrari 458 Italia.  Both fast.....but VERY different power delivery.  Just my opinion though.  And you know what they say about opinions, lol.  :)

Chase,

I respect your opinion.

I prefer the feel of a Ferrari over a Chevy, would like to own both but I can only afford one.

Which polisher would you recommend (coming up from a PC) for more applications also considering this pad life issue?

Not a pro but lots of family and friends.

Go with the Flex if you want to stick with Adam's products.  Optimal results with the Rupes can only come when it is used as a system - meaning Rupes polisher, Rupes pads, & Rupes polishing gels.  Every complaint I have ever seen about Rupes polishers are from folks not utilizing the complete system...a case in point is this thread.  

Chase,

I respect your opinion.

I prefer the feel of a Ferrari over a Chevy, would like to own both but I can only afford one.

Which polisher would you recommend (coming up from a PC) for more applications also considering this pad life issue?

Not a pro but lots of family and friends.

I appreciate the sentiment bud. :)  I don't have ALL the answers.  But I'd be glad to help!

Go with the Flex if you want to stick with Adam's products.  Optimal results with the Rupes can only come when it is used as a system - meaning Rupes polisher, Rupes pads, & Rupes polishing gels.  Every complaint I have ever seen about Rupes polishers are from folks not utilizing the complete system...a case in point is this thread.  

Totally understand that.  And I agree....to a certain extent.  However, those are also typically people that, again, don't understand the power curve & throw of the Rupes.  There are plenty of highly skilled detailers, across the nation, using MANY other pads than just the Rupes pads.  With zero issues, and stunning results.  Because they know how to use that particular machine.  :)

So here's what I'd say to the OP....

If you're going to have ONE MACHINE.  And that's all that's possible for the budget and tool chest at this point.  Then I'd say the Flex 3401.  It's more applicable in more jobs, for more reasons, and more areas.  Period.  When the budget and tool chest allows for expansion, then look into the Rupes.  :)

This whole idea really shouldn't be a debate.  It's really about preference, budget, and skillset.  Hope this helps.  :)

I melted my MF'ers on my first attempt at the Rupes + MF combo...I dunno, I was using light pressure so I thought, haha.  I prefer to use foam pads in most situations anyway, so when I do use the Rupes...I just use the Rupes pads.  Personally...the 3401 is still King of the Hill regardless as I always find myself reaching for it anyway, that thing is beast mode in comparison.  Just my opinion, but the Rupes is hyped up like a MoFo.   

I love my Rupes and have no issues with it on foam or MF and I don't use the Rupes pads.  I've used a Flex quite a lot too and it's also a great machine.  I haven't had any problems with pads on my Rupes yet but realistically haven't done any crazy corrections with it yet since my cars stay in good shape.

Big advantage to the Flex is you can get it from Adam's and have that customer service/warranty.

I felt the machines 500 watt motor caused it to bog down significantly with light to moderate pressure. Rupes advises almost no pressure, but I'm conditioned to apply pressure due to my experience with the 3401 and PC. Will no pressure correct well and in quick fashion?

I felt the machines 500 watt motor caused it to bog down significantly with light to moderate pressure. Rupes advises almost no pressure, but I'm conditioned to apply pressure due to my experience with the 3401 and PC. Will no pressure correct well and in quick fashion?

Rupes and pressure do not belong in the same sentence - you should only be steering the machine to where it needs to go and nothing more.