Customer Service 866.965.0400

Lemon Pledge

TR6speed

Question

I was over on the Corvette Forum and there was a question as to different wax products.  There were two replies that claim that they use Lemon Pledge only on their Corvette and one also added that he uses it on his Harley also.  Hard to believe what some people use on their cars. 

Well if you think about this logically most furniture has a clear varnish or clear coat so that is what is polished when using pledge. So I can see why some use it.

Pretty sure the clear coat on my car is different than the varnish on my coffee table.

I think what Tony is saying is this:

We use CAR polish and wax to treat our clear coats on our vehicles.  Correct/Protect/etc.

For WOOD, much like a lot of other items with their specific "barrier" on them, a varnish, whatever, has it's own type of products to be used for cleaning/protecting/etc.

Matt I wasn't saying I would use it on my car . Why use Adams products on other household items if they are for your car follows your logic. But people do ! And yeah the clear coat on your car is different from the varnish on coffee table but they serve the same purpose.

Pledge leaves a greasy look/feel.  Just because putting it on your car may make it shinier than just bare messed up paint doesn't mean it's a good look.

The people that think that greasy appearance looks good area also the ones that couldn't point out swirl marks to you at shows.  We all know how many cars show up to shows with "perfect" paint and they've been doing "secrets" for years.  They look like ****.

Not to mention it wouldn't offer any lasting protection or other benefits.  But EVEN giving those people the benefit of the doubt that they like the look, I bet you'd go through near an entire can on a car just to get it ready for the "show" that day.

BG is cheaper for the amount of applications you would get plus you get a quality look/shine, not some wet, greasy look/feel that smears.

Whatever floats ur boat is what I say

No kidding...I've seen much worse.  Alot of people are just butthurt that Pledge and WD-40 work for some, and they are $cheap$...I've seen them hide slight defects and add some shine to my buddy's Victory motorcycle (red).  I was trying to get him hooked on some Brilliant Glaze last summer, he was having none of it when you the OTC products he was using for years were only a few bucks.  If people are happy with the results, wo cares?

No kidding...I've seen much worse.  Alot of people are just butthurt that Pledge and WD-40 work for some, and they are $cheap$...I've seen them hide slight defects and add some shine to my buddy's Victory motorcycle (red).  I was trying to get him hooked on some Brilliant Glaze last summer, he was having none of it when you the OTC products he was using for years were only a few bucks.  If people are happy with the results, wo cares?

I don't think anybody really cares what you want to use on your own vehicle.  The problem arises when stuff gets spread around on the internet for stuff making it out to be more than it really is.  Think it's fine for you?  Good but in the case of the vette forum guys, hyping it up, creating threads about how it's the best "secret" for the best shine.  

There are people that might really be looking into getting into detailing reading that stuff and I would like the other side of the coin to be out there for them.

Meh, for $2 they can do research and see if it works for themselves. I don't use, haven't and never will however...but just because it's not a "detailing" product at 10x the cost, doesn't mean it won't bring desired results to someone.

Well my dad use to swear by Lemon Pledge on the interior vinyl of his Chevelle. He use to use the stuff like crazy and the interior of the Chevelle held up extremely well. The headrests are still the original ones that came with the car and they look like brand new, and the same with the dash. 

That being said, there is no way I would continue to use lemon Pledge on the Chevelle now that it is mine.

This is unrelated to using Lemon Pledge on the paint, but it was a :banghead: moment.  Our temps were warm this weekend, one of my X5 buddies texted me and said he ran out of "tire shine" so he was going to use WD-40 on his tires. LOL

I basically told him i'd rather see him keep his tires undressed and stop over for an application of SVRT then knowingly see his car with WD-40 on the tires haha.

Well my dad use to swear by Lemon Pledge on the interior vinyl of his Chevelle. He use to use the stuff like crazy and the interior of the Chevelle held up extremely well. The headrests are still the original ones that came with the car and they look like brand new, and the same with the dash. 

That being said, there is no way I would continue to use lemon Pledge on the Chevelle now that it is mine.

Consider, too, that back when your dad was using it in the Chevelle there weren't as many other, better car care products on the market, and the material in the chevelles interior were probably more uniform and/or basic than what you have in today's cars. Heck, there may have been some real wood trim in that car! In its time, pledge was probably a good product for the cars interior.

I wouldn't put that crap anywhere near my car. I do guitar repairs for a living, and some of my customers use that garbage on their guitars. Eventually, it adds so much wax build up in the finish, it becomes impossible to remove without machine buffing it out. That stuff is evil. I use it on the one piece of nice furniture in my home, and that's it.