Customer Service 866.965.0400

Noob here....needing help and info...

Rocfrog

So I'm new here and am somewhat of a noob to the detailing world. I always try and keep my vehicles looking good, but about two years ago I bought a black Silverado and it needs lots of help! Even after spending all day washing and waxing it, it still only looks ok.

So for Christmas I got a Harbor Freight 7" Variable Speed polisher/sander item #60626 and I was wondering if this was ok to use on my truck or if I should go trade it in for the 6 In. Variable Speed Dual Action Polisher Item#69924........???

I know harbor freight is not the best but I'm on a super low budget and don't want to dump a ton of money into something that A) I don't know about and B.) might use only once or twice.

I know I need to step up my washing game after browsing around here a bit but that will come with some time and trial and stepping up some of my products.

Nick

Edited by Rocfrog

:welcomebanner: Nick!  

Sorry I can't help with the HF polishers, I don't know much about them.  Where are you?  There may be someone here that can help you out with a loan of a PC or Flex (If you are near me in NE Ohio, I will).  Black is a bear to maintain.  Without knowing about the Harbor Freight polishers, I'm afraid I would think they are under powered and not quite what optimal for use.

So I'm new here and am somewhat of a noob to the detailing world. I always try and keep my vehicles looking good, but about two years ago I bought a black Silverado and it needs lots of help! Even after spending all day washing and waxing it, it still only looks ok.

So for Christmas I got a Harbor Freight 7" Variable Speed polisher/sander item #60626 and I was wondering if this was ok to use on my truck or if I should go trade it in for the 6 In. Variable Speed Dual Action Polisher Item#69924........???

I know harbor freight is not the best but I'm on a super low budget and don't want to dump a ton of money into something that A) I don't know about and B.) might use only once or twice.

I know I need to step up my washing game after browsing around here a bit but that will come with some time and trial and stepping up some of my products.

Nick

The biggest thing I learned is that you need to spend all day washing and "polishing" not washing and "waxing."  Watch the videos about washing, decontaminating, and polishing.  Waxing is the easy part.

Good luck! 

Thanks guys, I'm in Colorado Springs.

I've watched a ton of the videos which is why I say I need to step up my game. I spend 99% of that time washing and drying and then going back over it to get all the stupid water spots off of my truck....

Look forward to learning a ton from this forum!

Nick

Nick, you're right in Adam’s Polishes backyard. Give them a call or email and just drop in for some free hands on advice, or find out when their next free detailing clinic is going to be held. You'll learn all you need to know, and have a lot of fun, too.

I agree.........

:welcomebanner: Nick! :welcomebanner:

Nick, you're right in Adam’s Polishes backyard. Give them a call or email and just drop in for some free hands on advice, or find out when their next free detailing clinic is going to be held. You'll learn all you need to know, and have a lot of fun, too.

Rich hit the nail on the head.  Pay them a visit and they'll be happy to help you out.............first hand knowledge is the best kind.

Thanks guys, I've been meaning to make it up there but every time it seems we have plans to go up something else happens. I was going to go to the last clinic but we got a huge snow storm and didn't really feel like driving my 2wd truck up there. I really need a nice weekend so I can have the truck clean and go up there so they can help me evaluate it.

Nick

It's SO worth your time to get up there Nick!  You'll learn more in that day then you could watching all the videos for a week.  There's nothing better than hands on time.   Like with most things, garbage in, garbage out.  If you put little expense into it, you'll get little reward.  I always recommend people save up until they can afford a quality tool to do ANY job.  

I personally have had to let people down the hard way a couple times with HB Polishers.  I know Adam's doesn't sell the PC7424 anymore, maybe you could find one used or go purchase one from Tool King or Lowe's.  That's about the only thing near that price point, that I feel is any good.

I personally have had to let people down the hard way a couple times with HB Polishers. I know Adam's doesn't sell the PC7424 anymore, maybe you could find one used or go purchase one from Tool King or Lowe's. That's about the only thing near that price point, that I feel is any good.

Can you please elaborate as to why the HF polishers aren't good?

The PC ones start at $100 the HF one after coupon was $40....not really the same price point in my mind, I can get the other one for $50 which is why I asked about them....

Nick

Porter Cable

Weight= 6+lbs

Max OPM= 6800

Amps= 4.5

Chicago Electric

Weight= 6+lbs

Max OPM= 6400

Amps= 5.7

I bought the HF polisher out of curiosity since it was so cheap. It works fine with 3in pads and backing plate. I've seen people have success with it and 5 or 6in pads as well. The backing plate that comes with it is not very good quality, so you'll probably want to change it out for a better one. (5in pad/backing plate combo being ideal)

Use it with carpet attachments as well.

I haven't used the PC enough to compare the 2 since I have never owned one, but the HF doesn't compare to the GG6.

If you're a beginner, I don't see why you wouldn't want to only spend $50 and go from there.

Porter Cable

Weight= 6+lbs

Max OPM= 6800

Amps= 4.5

Chicago Electric

Weight= 6+lbs

Max OPM= 6400

Amps= 5.7

I bought the HF polisher out of curiosity since it was so cheap. It works fine with 3in pads and backing plate. I've seen people have success with it and 5 or 6in pads as well. The backing plate that comes with it is not very good quality, so you'll probably want to change it out for a better one. (5in pad/backing plate combo being ideal)

Use it with carpet attachments as well.

I haven't used the PC enough to compare the 2 since I have never owned one, but the HF doesn't compare to the GG6.

If you're a beginner, I don't see why you wouldn't want to only spend $50 and go from there.

Beat me to it, I was going to look up the specs and post it to see how it compared. So if I'm reading your post right I'm fine using the body of the machine but get a 5" backer instead of the provided 7" backer?

Nick

Yes

The one that came with mine is 6". The feel of it screams poor quality compared to other backing plates out there, plus if I am not mistaken some people have had the Velcro come apart from it.

You're better off either buying 6" backing plate from here or finding a smaller backing plate that fits smaller pads. (5")

*I don't use mine to correct a whole car, but others have and it seemed to work just fine with a different backing plate of course.

Is the Harbor Freight polisher made in the US?  Although they may perform similar initially, the HF tool may not be as durable as the Porter Cable, Flex or Cyclo.  It is the trend for companies to use inferior parts, once they move operations to China.  I have two PCs I bought at least 6 years ago and we still use them.  Heck, I even used them to sand my deck this summer!  The PC will last forever!

It is a shame to hear Porter Cable no longer manufacturing the 7424XP in the US.  They are an amazing tool for the price.  The backing Plates Adam used to carry were top notch too.  I stocked up right before the change over and still have about 15 US made PCs in stock.  I have a couple backing plates left too.  PM me if I can help.

Can you please elaborate as to why the HF polishers aren't good?

The PC ones start at $100 the HF one after coupon was $40....not really the same price point in my mind, I can get the other one for $50 which is why I asked about them....

Nick

The ones I have had customers bring me in person seem less than desirable to polish a car.  If you like the one you picked up, then awesome man.!  I am seeing a ton of both good and bad reviews for the polisher.  Did you buy the extended warranty?

Is the Harbor Freight polisher made in the US?  Although they may perform similar initially, the HF tool may not be as durable as the Porter Cable, Flex or Cyclo.  It is the trend for companies to use inferior parts, once they move operations to China.  I have two PCs I bought at least 6 years ago and we still use them.  Heck, I even used them to sand my deck this summer!  The PC will last forever!

It is a shame to hear Porter Cable no longer manufacturing the 7424XP in the US.  They are an amazing tool for the price.  The backing Plates Adam used to carry were top notch too.  I stocked up right before the change over and still have about 15 US made PCs in stock.  I have a couple backing plates left too.  PM me if I can help.

PC were Made in Mexico, but the heads have made their way into being Made in China.  I don't know about the rest of the machine--as to where it's made/maufactured.

For what its worth, I have had my "O.G." Porter Cable 7424 since 2005, and it has yet to let me down.  Even though its doesnt have the "oomph" of the XP model, it does what I need it to, and although prettier and more powerful random orbitals come out all the time, I can't justify going to spend another $150 on a tool that I only use a few times a year on my cars, when mine works just fine, just isn't "new" anymore.

I have a 3" backing plate and pads for smaller areas, and about to spend 20 bucks on an Adam's vented backing plate (I have an old 6" Lake country velcro plate that came with the machine), and although it might take an extra few minutes per car, my original PC 7424 is probably going to run strong for years to come.

Now that the machine is made in Cheeeeena, don't know if the 7424XP is as reliable and built to last as it used to be.

Regarding the HF machine, we are all American made enthusiasts here, but I have had good results with some things from Harbor Freight *gasp*.  For example, my 4 gallon backpack sprayer for my weed/vegetation killer was 25 bucks, you'll pay 4 times that for another brand, and since I take care of my equipment I expect a few years out of it, considering it's something I use a few times a year.

Back to the HF polisher, I just looked it up, and its $64.99 on their website.  IF they let you use a 25% off one item coupon, that goes down to $48.  My Harbor Freight has been stingy lately, and sometimes they tell me I cant use a coupon on "something that's already showing a sale price", isn't EVERYTHING on sale there?

So hypothetically you walk out with the tool for $50, that backing plate is indeed ****, so you'll need a 6" Adams plate.  $25.  Now you're up to $75 for the HF tool with Adam's backing plate.  I'm theorizing here, but either one of the Adam's distributors posted above that he has backing plates and PC's for sale still, not sure of their pricing, but Amazon is $118 for a new PC.  So perhaps you'll spend $60 more from an Adam's distributor for a PC/backing plate combo.  Much better and proven machine IMO, 3 year warranty as opposed to 3 MONTHS from HF.  Although if you know anything about Porter Cable's warranty process, it's basically worthless, as they have to go to authorized Black & Decker repair centers and there aren't too many around.

You can get a manufacturer refurbished PC7424XP on ebay for $102 as well:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Porter-Cable-6-in-Variable-Speed-Random-Orbit-Polisher-7424XPR-/331086504177?pt=Power_Tools&hash=item4d164b20f1#ht_5626wt_1105

Add a backing plate to that and you're only $50 above the HF tool/backing plate combo.

NINJA EDIT:  Just saw you posted this - So for Christmas I got a Harbor Freight 7" Variable Speed polisher/sander item #60626 and I was wondering if this was ok to use on my truck or if I should go trade it in for the 6 In. Variable Speed Dual Action Polisher Item#69924........???

I just looked up the Christmas #60626 you got, don't use it for your car, its a rotary and for a newb you don't want that.  Hell i've been correcting for years and I still find Random Orbitals easier to use.  All my comments ABOVE are concerning the #69924 model you asked about, I didn't read you post thoroughly the first time and thought you had that model already.

Either way you'll need a backing plate for the HF dual action polisher as I'm sure its ****.  And basically that puts you close to the pricing of a used/refurb PC7424XP, so I'd just take that extra 3 lunch stop monies and put them towards a better orbital.

Edited by Ricky Bobby