Customer Service 866.965.0400

Time sell Z06 to upgrade to C7, need a quick/easy shine

Z06Seal

Question

OK, I'm not asking for the magic question of asking for perfection with minor effort, but here is what I'm looking for...

My '03 C5 Z06 is going on ebay in a few weeks so I can upgrade to the new C7 Stingray. Car is in overall good condition, with I would say swirl marks from car washes and everyday use.

I don't have a machine polisher and don't want to invest in a machine (right now) and a weekend to make my car look showroom ready with a 3 step process. I'd like to bring out the deep torch red (which still looks great btw) and hide some of these imperfections and swirl marks for the sale. I'm not going to bs the buyer and say it's a showroom car. I will let them know it's an everyday driver that is garage kept, but has not been hidden from the everyday environments. 

I've been watching a ton of youtube videos from adam's and I have a good idea of what I need to do...

it seems like hand glazing and waxing (buttery wax) will answer what I'm looking for; however I'm afraid it might not work on corvettes as I've also heard Corvettes have a very hard clearcoat/paint (This will include a wash/clay and maybe alcohol wipe down?)

Looking for suggestions to bring out the shine my car needs for this sale.

I'm also a professional photographer and do a great job of taking pictures, which I think will be another bonus point in selling the car, so I can show the shine and gloss in the car...

I have thought about getting it detailed by known professional detailers in the area, but a one step supposedly will cost me ~$500, and I think I can do something close to that with ~$100 worth of products that I can use on the stingray in the future. (I rather spend that money on the stingray when it comes in anyways :))

Looking for suggestions guys!

thanks!!!

Edited by Z06Seal

19 answers to this question

I would agree with your BG and Buttery plan.  You will not be able to do much correct by hand (hard clear coat or not), but some Revive polish  would help clean the surface even more than a wash.  The BG has some fillers in it so that will help some too.

Edited by mc2hill

I'm in south florida if anyone is willing to help me out. I'm certain a small fee will be manageable. the $500 is little too much for a car I'm selling, considering there are couple things i'm fixing on it before I sell. 

I much rather spend that $500 on the stingray after I pick it up and get it looking like it's ready for a car show :)

I'm in south florida if anyone is willing to help me out. I'm certain a small fee will be manageable. the $500 is little too much for a car I'm selling, considering there are couple things i'm fixing on it before I sell. 

I much rather spend that $500 on the stingray after I pick it up and get it looking like it's ready for a car show :)

If you do decide that you want it corrected, let me know and I will see if I can talk DaytonaJae into a road trip.

I would agree with your BG and Buttery plan.  You will not be able to do much correct by hand (hard clear coat or not), but some Revive polish  would help clean the surface even more than a wash.  The BG has some fillers in it so that will help some too.

I would just like to somewhat hide what the car already has. If the potential buyer points out 'well it has swirl marks' I might reply with 'well i'm the 4th owner and the car is a DD with 90K miles, this isn't a show car' lol

but I have gotten the car to look really good with hand polish wax before which took a whole day. perhaps i'm looking to do the same but with different brands (autoglym) :)

If you do decide that you want it corrected, let me know and I will see if I can talk DaytonaJae into a road trip.

You coming down this way anytime soon? Perhaps you guys can look at it and tell me what you're willing to charge. Orlando isn't too far, and I might even come visit you guys and stay at a family member's for a weekend

My C7 seems very susceptible to micro scratches. And the dark Lime Rock Green Metallic really shows the dirt. But it looks absolutely fantastic when it's really shiny, and I've taken to keeping it that way. To do so, I've invested in a lot of Adam's products, including one of the larger kits.

You may want to consider getting one of the kits now and giving your current car the complete treatment. This will give you practice, and you'll be a lot more comfortable when you do your C7.

Edited by -CM-

Unless you can find someone in your area that has a buffer (orbital of course) I would clay the car, then hit it with Revive, followed by Brilliant Glaze and finish it with the Buttery Wax.

I would suggest that once you have your new C7, you need to invest in a complete line of Adams products to keep the C7 in show room condition.  Also look at all the videos which will help a lot on keeping it in that condition.

You coming down this way anytime soon? Perhaps you guys can look at it and tell me what you're willing to charge. Orlando isn't too far, and I might even come visit you guys and stay at a family member's for a weekend

No plans too currently.  Let me get with Jae and I will send you a PM.

My C7 seems very susceptible to micro scratches. And the dark Lime Rock Green Metallic really shows the dirt. But it looks absolutely fantastic when it's really shiny, and I've taken to keeping it that way. To do so, I've invested in a lot of Adam's products, including one of the larger kits.

You may want to consider getting one of the kits now and giving your current car the complete treatment. This will give you practice, and you'll be a lot more comfortable when you do your C7.

I've seen your vette on corvette forums... Very nice. I'm looking at red, white, yellow and Laguna blue. Any of those colors will satisfy myself and the wife :)

Would those new corner less blue mf towels work well?

I know what care products I need, but not sure what towels. I know there is a towel and applicator for everything Lol

Would regular mf towels do the job?

Can't blame you for getting the C7. Amazing car. Even though I just got my 427, I am SERIOUSLY considering trading it in for a new Z. Waiting till Monday to see what it will look like and the specs.

Good luck with your sale, and post up here what your new baby is.