Customer Service 866.965.0400

I don't know how you guys do it...

Coderedpl

Question

So temperatures have been dipping really low because well winter and initially I thought I'll manage on washing the car in my driveway but wow was I wrong. One of these days I had to use the hose for a non-car-wash related matter, and the next day I had an ice-rink. 

In addition to that, when I tried, the products seemed to freeze on the surface, not to mention my hands were about to fall off. 

I'm really jealous of you guys with heated garages, that would make a world of a difference. 

With that said, I ended up signing up for a monthly plan to the local low-car friendly, hand car wash place. One fee for the month and i can go everyday if i wanted to. They aren't allowed to use brushes on my car and there's plenty of "soap" on the car before they touch it with the mitts but I'm sure the majority of the swirls come from the drying process, as their drying towels look more like general microfibers. 

Come spring time, i'm due for a full detail!!!

23 answers to this question

I washed mine the other day when it was 10 degrees. My garage does have a drain, but I only have a space heater for it. It all comes down to mind over matter. If you don't mind being cole, it doesn't matter

I washed mine the other day when it was 10 degrees. My garage does have a drain, but I only have a space heater for it. It all comes down to mind over matter. If you don't mind being cold, it doesn't matter :lol:

Edited by Tim

I hear you man.  My pig is filthy right now.  Supposed to get to 50* today and maybe 60* tomorrow.  I plan on heading to the Co Op for some blasting, then back here for a RW.

CM had a GREAT IDEA.  Bring your towels for them to use only on your car, then take them home and clean them for the next time you go.

Since mid november my car has only been rinsed off once :-(

We are in a bit of a mild spell here now (a degree or 2 above freezing), may break out the pressure washer, and 2 buckets and get that layer of filth off of it.  But, sadly i have noticed several new swirls likely the result of brushing snow off the paint. 

Counting down the days until spring!

I was able to do a true 2 bucket wash on Saturday, temps were 64 degrees in Jersey, although it was still drizzling on and off I got my X5 done.  Felt good to APC the wheel wells and tires really well, and clean the inside of my wheels, and as you'll see below, I even got a coat of wax in yesterday, and even polished my exhaust tips.

Problem was, although 2 of my hoses are in their own caddies and I shut water to the hose bib off, getting any residual water out of the hose was tough, so both my "outdoor" hoses were still frozen from the "polar vortex" of 0F earlier this week.  I had to go in my shed and get my spare 3rd hose, which I normally use for power washing the house, in order to complete my wash as that hadn't been used since april so there was no residual water from the fall in it.

Probably going to be the last 2 bucket wash I get to give my car until spring, but I usually only get one or two in per winter.  I laid down SVRT on all tires and trim, and a coat of Americana!  So I'm good to go.  Other than that, coin op for knocking big dirt off, and Rinseless Washes in the garage with the doors closed will get my cars through till spring.

Killing yourself or inducing swirls by trying to force to hand wash at freezing temps is just worse for the paint in my opinion.  If you get a day of mid 40s or above, go for it, if not, just coin op it.

Side note, a lot of times the coin ops have heated water, take your 2 buckets with gamma seal lids and do a 2 bucket wash there!  I did my wife's car last month that way, followed Adam's Winter washing video and her car came out as good as it does in the driveway!

Edited by Ricky Bobby

This is my first year ever with a garage, but I don't have a drain. So I'm still toughing it out in the driveway whenever it's above freezing. Last week, I washed it up when it was like 40 degrees outside. Not freezing by definition, but it sure felt like it. My hand felt like it was going to fall off. But, it was either that or have my Camaro look like crap another day. My wife thinks I'm nuts.

I washed mine the other day when it was 10 degrees. My garage does have a drain, but I only have a space heater for it. It all comes down to mind over matter. If you don't mind being cold, it doesn't matter :lol:

If I had a garage with a drain it would be much less of an issue. I'm just stuck doing washes at the local car wash, but I make them use mitts instead of their brushes on a stick. 

I'm already mentally preparing for a complete detail when spring comes haha

Last night hit the local coin op with the truck and my DD.  Then went home and did a rinseless wash on both.  Heated garage for me with a 100K BTU unit.  Usually just keep it around 60 degrees.  Up till 0030 cleaning them both up.  Far from perfect, but acceptable.

I still detail out in the cold. Latex gloves with chemical hand warmers in them help. Rinseless wash in the cold requires the warmest water possible. And drying towels for your hands. lol

@Mook, if you need an indoor place let me know. My new shop is inside Unser Racing and is functional. I would love to see you stop by. PM me if you want to stop by or need an indoor space to wash the TBSS.

FInd a local coin op station. The nearest one I have near me here in CT is about 15 miles away. This past Saturday I filled up my 2 buckets up with water and Rinseless Wash and some hot water. Drove up to the coin up and went to work along with a set of rubber gloves.

Of course it snowed again that night, but at least I got all the crap that was sitting on everything off of there.

What's the concensus on a truly "touchless" unmanned wash? You know. The tunnel you drive in that foams the car then has a series of high pressure sprays and when done you drive under that huge blower. I've thought od using that and then misting with detail spray and drying by hand. I, too, lack a garage. :(

What's the concensus on a truly "touchless" unmanned wash? You know. The tunnel you drive in that foams the car then has a series of high pressure sprays and when done you drive under that huge blower. I've thought od using that and then misting with detail spray and drying by hand. I, too, lack a garage. :(

From my understanding, the detail spray might not have enough lubricity to clean without introducing scratches.  I never used waterless wash much but I'm very interested in the new Rinseless Car Wash(http://www.adamspolishes.com/p-1013-new-adams-rinseless-car-wash.aspx).  This will be in my next order for sure.  

I will be be using the touchless car wash to get most of the road grime off the car then bring it back to my garage for the Rinseless Wash.  When I didn't have a garage, I found a local car wash place that has a bay that you can pull in and close the doors on both ends.  It said to not wash by hand but I was always courteous of others and did it anyway.  At least it was out of the cold wind.