Customer Service 866.965.0400

C7 Z06 is in the distance...

JHL88

Theres a good chance (IMO) that the ZR1 doesn't make a return. Just like the earlier ZR1 it was in for a good time, not a long time. I see it being more of a thing they bring back closer to the end of a production model then kill off again.

With the Z06 sporting a blower and that kind of power a ZR1 becomes something that would have to go to a bonkers place performance wise to justify its place. Again... just my thoughts.

I agree, but on the other hand the Z06 is a track monster while the ZR1 is more of a GT car (big hp, but overall not as hard-edged). It's possible they'll take a similar approach like what we're seeing with the ZL1 Camaro vs the upcoming Z/28.

Who knows? But the C7 is such a great platform already, I have to believe they'll come up with several derivatives to capitalize on it.

Edited by Redbeard

Pretty excited and hopeful that I will get my hands on one to polish out!  The specs on this thing is ridiculous and AWESOME!

I was thinking last night on, if they do build a ZR-1...what would it be?  This one is supercharged, so what if GM decided to Turbo one of them puppies?  Would that be out of the question?  That was rumored to have been the original C7 motor anyway right?  A High revving, 4.x L block with a Turbo.

Interesting!

Turbos aren't that far-fetched since there are currently some GM vehicles with them. And would a twin turbo V8 be any more radical now than the original DOHC 32-valve LT5 was at the time?

More importantly, Chevy needs to top the GT500's 662 hp. :burnout:

Edited by Redbeard

The ZR1 will be back in one year. Probably show it at the Detroit show next year. It's most likely going to be twin turbo. But I've spoken with several of the engineers and it's definitely still in the works.  Going to be somewhere in the 700's for hp.  Insanity.  But there are those who want it.

I came to my senses about buying a new Z and will be keeping my 427 after a lot of thought. To put out another $91 K for another Vette is just nuts.  Where I live, I have clearance issues on nearly every street with this one, and the new Z has that bigger splitter and even is lower than the one I have now.  Plus there's the issue of not having any highways close by where I can really drive it and open it up.  I'd want the Z07 option too just for bragging rights. I've never tracked any car. Street raced....yes, opened her up and let her rip ........ yes. But never tracked any of my cars.

I'm sure there will be no lack of buyers though.  It's an amazing piece of machinery. 

I bet the automatic 8-speed will generate a lot of sales from people who wouldn't have considered a Z06 previously. Between the performance, technology, and vastly improved interior, GM has a great product in the Corvette line. I also think there will be a ZR1 and probably another Grand Sport later in the cycle to give the wide-body lovers something more affordable.

I bet the automatic 8-speed will generate a lot of sales from people who wouldn't have considered a Z06 previously. Between the performance, technology, and vastly improved interior, GM has a great product in the Corvette line. I also think there will be a ZR1 and probably another Grand Sport later in the cycle to give the wide-body lovers something more affordable.

Not only the automatic, but the fact you can now get a targa top!  I bought the 427 because it was the closest thing I could get to the Z06 with a convertible top (which is basically what it is).   So having the t top, I bet there will be a lot of those sold to guys like me who want the power, but not to track.  The more I read about it, and look at it, the more I'm drooling. :wub:

Uh, yeah. That's what Corvette has always done.  About the only time they made the Z06 different in styling was when they came out with the C5 Z with the fixed roof that really set it apart style wise.  But even then, you could buy an optional fixed roof coupe (non Z06). 
It's all about the speed and power.

Did you guys notice that frame/body wise nothing is different? You're getting a more powerful engine with some aero gear compared to a base vette. that's about it...

The body is different, wider front fenders covering an additional 2+ inches and 3 inches in the rear. Rear view is different due to the width change. Front hood is different and some vent changes. Greenhouse remains the same from what I have seen.