Customer Service 866.965.0400

2009.5 G8 GXP Progress Thread

Chewy

So I'll start this and (not that anyone cares) update as I go.  My goal is to make it show ready before it warms up outside. 

I bought the car used with 35,6XX miles on it.  It has a 6.8L LS3 from Texas Speed in it and has been lowered with poly throughout the suspension. The engine has roughly 2000 miles on it, so it's basically brand new.  The PO was sold on the idea of a lifetime wax so he paid for it and believed that it was still protecting the car.  Ugh...  He was a bit OCD with cleaning so the paint is pretty clean and not overly swirled, but silver REALLY is nice for not showing them.  My goal right now is to get the car mechanically the way I want it and then work on the paint.

#1 thing I had to do was get the smoke smell out of the cabin.  I did that using an Ozone Generator which I rented online.  Now I'm contending with what I believe was a scent he sprayed in the car.  It's a sweet smell.  Not horrible, but not something I want either.  I think baking in the sun with the windows cracked will eliminate a lot of that.  I am going to try Mooks idea of using Baking Soda though.   :)

So the other day I got the winter wheels removed in favor of the VMR 710's that came with the car.  I sold the winter wheels with the GT so bye-bye!  These are staggered so 285 rear and 245 front 19". 

The car looks lifted because I jacked it up to put the wheels on and didn't roll the car so it never settled.  It sits an inch lower than stock. 

post-19-0-35719900-1389815456_thumb.jpg

I also removed the throttle body and sent it off to be massaged.  Believe it or not, the PO spent 10,000+ on this engine, and it still had the stock TB.  (GOBSMACKED) 

I still need to re-route the PCV system on the engine to clean it up some, as well as putting on a set of Holley valve covers to clean up the look of the engine bay.  I also got some bling from AU for the engine bay which I still need to install as well.  

So, most of my work has been done on the interior up until now.  

Last weekend I installed an HSV (Holden Special Vehicles) triple gauge cluster in the dash and a "smokers kit" from a Calais in AU.  Both come on the upscale vehicles and IMO, look a lot nicer.  I wanted the gauges to watch over the important stuff under the hood.  Basically, what the "smokers kit" does is does away with the little cubby's under the stereo in front and under the rear AC vents in the back seat and in their place puts a nice flip up cover and ashtray.  The ashtray's can be removed which makes it a hidden cubby.  I also hid the receptacle that I plug the front line lock switch into. 

Before and afters! 

post-19-0-71319200-1389815000_thumb.png

post-19-0-92291900-1389815036_thumb.jpeg

I ordered some more suspension goodies just today so there's more to come there, and I have black trim for around the side windows and some door handles that I need to get painted to do away with the chrome around the stock ones.  My goal is to have no chrome on the car.   ;)

So I'll post up as time goes on... 

It has a 6.8 in it? What kind of power does it put down?

Edited: We posted at the same time...we must think alike.

with a 6.8L, what kind power does it put down?

It only dyno'd 470 at the wheels, but this was a portable dyno at the last G8 meet and EVERYONE was complaining that the numbers were reading MUCH lower than they'd put down previously.  It's also had more tuning done since then so the guess is 500 to the wheels. The PO ran a 11.37 with it.  I do NOT plan to run it down the track and may put a smaller cam in it and a lower stall convertor in it.  It's a streetable 3200 right now.  I'd like 2600-2800 personally. 

Heck yes Chewy!!!  Nice car, and I love your route on this so far!

Mook

Thanks!  

I dig it!!! 

The TSP 416 is a proven power-maker!!

It's actually a 418.  They make several different ones!  It's got their PRC 255 heads on it as well.  The guy spared NO expense building it. He wanted dead nuts reliability. 

Funny thing...  He wouldn't let me drive it before I bought it, but we DID go for a long drive in it.  I then needed to get it home, but circumstances were that I didn't have anyone to go with me, so he drove it to my house.  It hasn't moved since!  lol  

Chris

It only dyno'd 470 at the wheels, but this was a portable dyno at the last G8 meet and EVERYONE was complaining that the numbers were reading MUCH lower than they'd put down previously.  It's also had more tuning done since then so the guess is 500 to the wheels. The PO ran a 11.37 with it.  I do NOT plan to run it down the track and may put a smaller cam in it and a lower stall convertor in it.  It's a streetable 3200 right now.  I'd like 2600-2800 personally. 

only 500 to the wheels...slow, ha!  Killer car and have fun with it!

Nice find. Sounds like it should run well

I hope!  I'd like to get it on a dyno again someday.  There's really no one around here I trust with it though.  ;) 

Sweet! Love the color ;-)

VMR's look gr888 too.

Did the gauges come with the black faces or is it just the photo? I still have the white ones and haven't hooked them up yet.

Thanks!  Yeah, I didn't want metric so I got with blackcatcustoms.com and had them send me a set of their replacement faces.  They were like 30 bucks and IMO, well worth it seeing that there's no white in the interior.  If you do the change-out, let me know!  I learned the hard way how to do it the correct way!  

only 500 to the wheels...slow, ha!  Killer car and have fun with it!

Yeah, that's a guesstimate of course.  The fact is, it's fast enough for me.  Probably too fast!  lol  

Chris

Nice!

But where are the exhaust clips of this bad boy?

I can do that!  It sounds unbelievable, but I LOVE cammed cars.  I have to get the TB back on it before I start it though.  ;) 

Removed the aluminum trim around the side windows to get it ready for paint correction and the new black trim I sourced from AU. Also got my HSV gauges all hooked up and ready to go! Just need to button the engine up and get the throttle body back so I can test them. Happy to have that job behind me!

post-19-0-28872900-1390184750_thumb.jpg

post-19-0-38406700-1390184769_thumb.jpg

Are your gauges from JHP? That's were I got mine for my GTO........

They look great!

As for the trim I can't believe that they didn't come from the factory with the black.......

No, I get all my Holden stuff from a guy named Paul Sadler, or Crazy Paul in AU. His prices are much better than JHP.

The new SS comes with all the bright work too. It's an American thing I guess!

I hope!  I'd like to get it on a dyno again someday.  There's really no one around here I trust with it though.  ;) 

Thanks!  Yeah, I didn't want metric so I got with blackcatcustoms.com and had them send me a set of their replacement faces.  They were like 30 bucks and IMO, well worth it seeing that there's no white in the interior.  If you do the change-out, let me know!  I learned the hard way how to do it the correct way!  

Yeah, that's a guesstimate of course.  The fact is, it's fast enough for me.  Probably too fast!  lol  

Chris

I will definitely get up with you when I do mine!

• 2 months later...