Customer Service 866.965.0400

paint thinner? EXCUSE ME!?!?!?

Z06Seal

So we just leased a very nice Infiniti Q50 Hybrid. We took it back today to get the windows tinted and I noticed it had some weird stuff on the hood (not sure what it was, but it was like hardened glue) that I pointed out to the salesman and asked if I could have it removed. He goes sure, I'll get that buffed out.

Another guy from service comes and says, I have a magic trick to remove that stuff! let me show you...

He dampens a rag and attempts to remove it, it immideatly comes off. I smelt thinner, so I asked 'what did you just put that on car?" he goes, it's paint thinner. I go "WHAT!?

he goes, I was a detail manager for 4 years, trust me.

at that paint, I said stop doing what you're doing and I'll take care of it. thank you

I had to come share here. I had no words to respond back with besides calling him names.

/rant off

While not the best method, it was paint thinner not a paint remover.  Your clear coat can easily handle some paint thinner even though it wouldn't be my go to method.  Many dealerships probably use it to remove adhesive residues.

Edited by SYMAWD

That should be safe, though it wouldn't be our usual try the least aggressive method first. Many of the commercial bug and tar removers are kerosene or mineral spirit based.

The biggest damage you probably had experienced would have come from the scratchy rag they used.

What Dave said ^.  

Not the least aggressive method, but not 'unsafe' for the clear coat if it is removed promptly.  But any protection that was on the vehicle has now been removed in that spot.  And the rag, well that is another story!.

This really brings back memories because a long time ago before I found Adams I always used paint thinner every spring to clean off all the wax and build up on my cars. It never hurt the paint and it was definitely stripped of the old wax, tar and anything else. I didn't buff and polish back then just clean and put another coat of wax on it. Turtle Was anyone? I think that is why my arms and elbows hurt me now in my old age! LOL

While not the best method, it was paint thinner not a paint remover.  Your clear coat can easily handle some paint thinner even though it wouldn't be my go to method.  Many dealerships probably use it to remove adhesive residues.

The reason you can put paint thinner on clear coat is because your clear coat is chemically hardened, it doesn't dry like the base coat does. But its always unsettling, in case something goes wrong.