Customer Service 866.965.0400

Picked up a Pickup: 3rd-hand Work Truck

Makrel

Question

I picked up a truck this weekend with the sole purpose of it being a hauler for Home Improvement runs. I swore it was going to stay as it was bought so I wouldn't be concerned about dirt, etc. 

The fact I'm here shows I couldn't allow that, so I'm putting together an attack plan for an interior that looks like the bulk of the dirt was carried INSIDE versus in the bed. The gray is mostly coffee / cola colored so any improvement will be drastic improvement... 

Plan is a follows:

1) Gut the interior - pull as much apart as possible to clean aggressively

2) Treat carpet with APC, let sit, then carefully pressure wash clean, hang to dry

3) Bissel steam clean seats pre treating with [need suggestion: CC? APC?] and let dry before re-install.

4) Clean vents with vacuum and dryer vent cleaner thingy, then a microfiber on a stick to wipe clean

5) Clean all plastic parts with diluted APC and then treat with [ TID or VRT or better suggestion?]

6) While interior is out, replace / reseal rear window

- a prev owner used a thin silicone sealer poured into every gap in the trim to stop a leak. Peels out nicely though

7) Try to remove scum layer from under dash / wiring / pedals etc...

- Blast the areas with compressed air and have a fan blowing across the interior

- I plan to use a very diluted APC on a wheel brush which seems to work well on nooks and crannies

- not too damp so I don't short anything out before I can find and fix

8) De-Stink - Attempt to remove the blend of sweat, coffee and hint of smoke.  I read that Ozium and window up with vents at full blast can / will work. I'll try that.

9) after re-assembly, wipe down all surfaces with TID.

Are there any words of wisdom for getting out dirt and dust from some of those impossible to reach dash places?

Thanks!

Mak

BTW I notice I don't see the Green or Orange machine polishes on the site anymore, what happened to those? After I don't feel so filthy just getting in the truck, I'll likely polish the outside.

7 answers to this question

I should do some before / after.  The bar is set REALLY low on this, so it may not be anything worth bragging about. 

Can you polish rust spots? 'Cause if so, this thing will blind you with brilliance! :D

I tested a few spots on the body yesterday and it'll polish up decently, but the ghostly lettering from company stickers may always be there until I can see fit to repaint. 

Need to re-read up on panel patching and cutting out rust...

Got pics coming... the interior is all removed and I have some floor-rust to treat.

I do have great news - using mineral spirits WILL help you remove what was at least a tube's worth of silicone caulk CLEANLY from your paint. I rubbed the Spirits in after carefully cutting off the bulk of the bead with a razor. I let it sit for 10 min, then scraped with a plastic scraper. It took elbow grease and it comes off in coffee-ground size particles but it's all gone.

This, aside from the rust holes, was the worst I imagined I had to repair.

Hope that helps someone else out.

-Mak

Ok I have the panels all cleaned and I steam cleaned the carpet twice. I'm thinking I need to hang it up against the house and pressure wash it until the water runs clear. I used Folex in the cleaner and while it made it look like different carpet, it's not clean yet.

Would pressure washing the carpet wind up destroying it? It has the mass backing and is in pretty good physical shape. I just don't want to wind up cutting the piece in half because it's less durable than I think it is. I know my way around the washer so I know I won't get too close or any other novice errors. I just believe I can rinse the rest of the grime off if I can soak thoroughly it with some pressure behind it.

...and thanks to anyone here that's mentioned Folex, it's liquid miracle.

(I still forgot to upload pics!)

I have pressure washed (electric PW) floor mats with no issue.  Gets out alot of the dirt that vacuuming leaves behind.

If you like Folex, you would LOVE Adam's Carpet & Upholstery Cleaner.  I have used both and Adam's wins.

I have pressure washed (electric PW) floor mats with no issue.  Gets out alot of the dirt that vacuuming leaves behind.

If you like Folex, you would LOVE Adam's Carpet & Upholstery Cleaner.  I have used both and Adam's wins.

I've got both, I (unfortunately) got better results with the Folex :|

Here are a few after I pulled the pieces out. The sunlight hides the utter disgusting nature of the panels.

I've yet to scrub the dash or door panels yet, just replaced the blower motor resistor and need to grind and treat a large rusty section under the driver's feet.

I'll do some Exterior pics when we stop having winter storm watches...

PICS:

http://s272.photobucket.com/user/makreljohnson/library/

Edited by Makrel